Matt Read waived

sekkes85

Just now, brelic said:

Interesting.

That means Ghost's injury is a bit more significant - he will miss some time at the very least.

I wonder if they recall Read once they send a defenseman down.

Agree.  Would they have had to send Read down if Ghost went on LTIR?  If not, this is a better sign than otherwise.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Interesting.

That means Ghost's injury is a bit more significant - he will miss some time at the very least.

I wonder if they recall Read once they send a defenseman down.

If Gostisbehere's injury was significant, we wouldn't have to demote anyone. If anything, this move tells us that he's fine. The Flyers our going out west for a week. It's smart to carry 8 defenseman right now 

3 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

He's lost a step or two, without the speed he just isn't a good player.  A shame how quickly he has declined.

Myself i would have kept him over Weise, i thought he played rather well this preseason....he is just a utility/role player type.

However we know Ron signed Dale so he is going to play regardless it seems.

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just so everyone knows this doesn't mean Read will be with the Phantoms he will more than likely still travel with the team they are not obligated to send him down to LV.

well, with Read on the roster, that would mean they have 24 players. So yes, chances are he is sent to the AHL to get to 23, unless we demote a defenseman 

Just now, RJ8812 said:

well, with Read on the roster, that would mean they have 24 players. So yes, chances are he is sent to the AHL to get to 23, unless we demote a defenseman 

He isn't on the roster. He was waived. They don't have to have him actually report. It's more of a paper transaction. They are still at 23.

11 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

:haha:

30 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Just a question if Read slowed down.  What do you say about G and Jake? Also I know skills of the 3 are different. But?

Giroux looks much improved compared to last year when he was hurt.

And in Jake's case he doesn't look slow.

His issue is his hands and it seems like he totally forgot how to properly skate with the damn puck. It's hard to watch him keep it long hr is a turnover machine if he holds it long.

I hope he can fix this issue. If not he will be another albatross contract to take Mcdud's place once his is up.

Read is just a victim of many many injuries taking a toll on his body.

It happens. I still think he is more effective than Weise.

The good news is, Carchidi says that Ghost made the trip to California, so hopefully his injury isn't as bad as I feared. I think Read's still capable of being an effective player, but he's definitely overpaid. Fortunately the cap isn't an issue this year(feels good to type that), so it's not a big deal.

Doubt he gets claimed and he's probably still going to have a role somewhere as a spare winger.

I agree with Sekkes' earlier post that his deterioration has been pretty rapid. I don't question his commitment or defensive responsibility.  The offense has disappeared.   The "good" point--the end of the line and while nobody wants to see $3.5 million to a spare, this is no Vinny situation.  The greatest "cost" is roster space that retards another player's development.  On the cap--I guess he faces the same limitation as AMac...$925,000, so there isn't that much incremental savings.   It is another reminder of how quickly things can head south with player performance.  

1 minute ago, RJ8812 said:

But if he clears waivers, they have to make a decision.

No he can travel with team they don't have to assign him to the Phantoms. He has to pass through waivers first.

Waiver expiration

Once a player clears waivers, the team does not have to immediately reassign the player. However, once the player has played ten games or spent thirty days on an NHL roster, the waivers expire and the player will have to clear again before being loaned to another league.

https://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

18 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Either demote him or demote someone else, unless they have a trade lined up

Expiration Dates

Waivers last for 24 hours from noon on the day they're filed to noon the next day. Once a player clears waivers, he may be loaned to the AHL, which is the currently-recognized minor league for the NHL. Only entry-level players can be sent to the ECHL without consent.

A Club can't waive a guy and then send him down at their convenience. Once a player clears, he must be loaned to the minor league before either 30 days passes or before he plays 10 more NHL games. If either of those things happen, he would have to clear waivers again in order to be eligible for loan to the AHL.

In the same definition, the 10 games/30 day timeframe defines when a player is on "recall". This comes into play only for the lone situation in which you're allowed to place an injured player on waivers. He continues to receive his Paragraph 1 salary and benefits until he's cleared.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/7/26/4548948/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-7-waivers

Archived