MacDonald, Filpulla named Alternate Captains

AJgoal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Despite what the fans might think of him, MacDonald apparently has the respect of his teammates...

No they are smart as long as they have some around who is worse than them they feel the attention will be elsewhere.

Job security. Making life better.

#thegirftthatkeepsongivin

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No they are smart as long as they have some around who is worse than them they feel the attention will be elsewhere.

Job security. Making life better.

#thegirftthatkeepsongivin

Ah, the designated fat girl in the group.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Can't really get upset, the players picked them.  But MacDonald is never coming out of the lineup. Eve

I know the press release said the players picked them.   But it's been awhile since they've actually picked, and it was certainly management that picked Giroux as captain.

I call BS on "the players picked them."  

The only way that's true is if they said "pick 2 out of these 5" and the other 3 were like Weiss or Lehtera or something.

In any case, just dumb.   He shouldn't even be on the team much less have a letter.   On the other hand, let's not overblow the letter, either.   So he gets to go into the referee circle or talk to officials.  I guess he could blow that coverage, too, but it's not that big a deal.   I mean, if he's not where he's supposed to be in the defensive zone, he might as well talk to someone.

12 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Really doesn't mean much 

Agreed.

The only thing it does mean is that he won't be scratched much.  But I have a feeling he wasn't going to be scratched much either way.  

I really wish they'd get him off the top pairing.  He's honestly not a top-pairing defenseman and never was.   I wasn't unhappy when we first traded for him.  I actually told others on this very board that it wasn't a bad pickup.   I thought he'd be good on the 2nd or 3rd pair and that the Islanders were simply misusing him on the top pair.   He gets exposed there.   And then we threw the money and term at him that he was never worth and started using him exactly the same way that was a failure in New York.  

And continue to when we have other options.  It's simply the definition of crazy.

Gotta be an experience thing, seeing as how there are so many young players on the team now.

If Philly's season starts rounding into a contending one, and MacDonald really isn't a part of that, look for them to phase him out slowly.

If the Flyers just hit the skids and look like they might not recover, then MacD will likely get the swift axe and the Flyers can site "We are going all in young".

Filppula makes sense as he is one of the few guys on the this current team with winning playoff experience.

At the end of the day though, the players themselves know who the team leaders are and they don't need a letter to tell them who they are.

Further proof MacDonald's spot was never in jeopardy.  Apparently The Room likes and respects the guy.  Clearly it wasn't his on-ice play that was meriting him a spot one the lineup.  

3 minutes ago, vis said:

Further proof MacDonald's spot was never in jeopardy.  Apparently The Room likes and respects the guy.  Clearly it wasn't his on-ice play that was meriting him a spot one the lineup.  

You know what, though?  As intelligent as he is and apparently a really good guy, if I'm trying to build a winning rowing team, I'm not giving the captaincy to Stephen Hawking.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You know what, though?  As intelligent as he is and apparently a really good guy, if I'm trying to build a winning rowing team, I'm not giving the captaincy to Stephen Hawking.

classic rux!

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

That is ****** hysterical Rux!   

May I use that as part of my signature?   Lol... Well done. You would join an elite club with @mojo1917

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I guess Ville Leino wasn't available for consideration?

he's still putting up terrible #'s

2014–15 KHL Medveščak Zagreb KHL    28  8  15   28
2014–15 Kloten Flyers NLA 4 0 1 1 0
2015–16 Dinamo Riga KHL 39 3 9 12 8
2015–16 Växjö Lakers SHL 17 2 12 14 2 13 0 3 3 8

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Ron keeps trying to validate the McDud trade he and homer screwed up on. 

Either that or they just gave it to the two oldest, (non-goalie) guys on the roster.

Hard to really complain when the rest of the team voted. I mean, it's like Bellemare last year. The guy wasn't very good, but he worked hard and is a good guy who the rest of the team liked and respected. Nothing wrong with guys like that getting an honor.

Also, this doesn't mean MacDonald will be playing 82 games...he was already pretty much a lock to be in the top 4, regardless of being an alternate captain

9 minutes ago, scoopyten said:

Hard to really complain when the rest of the team voted. I mean, it's like Bellemare last year. The guy wasn't very good, but he worked hard and is a good guy who the rest of the team liked and respected. Nothing wrong with guys like that getting an honor.

Also, this doesn't mean MacDonald will be playing 82 games...he was already pretty much a lock to be in the top 4, regardless of being an alternate captain

Like I said, I call BS that the team voted unless given a really narrow choice. 

Or it was an Electoral College thing. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Abolish the Electoral College!!!:VeryCool:

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, it's possible that the field was narrow. Still, the 2nd alternate is more ceremonial than anything. More worried that MacDonald will be on top pair than wearing an A

Just now, scoopyten said:

Yeah, it's possible that the field was narrow. Still, the 2nd alternate is more ceremonial than anything. More worried that MacDonald will be on top pair than wearing an A

Yeah. Completely agree with all of that. 

Archived