$80M, 8 Yr deal for Eichel

hf101

The new 8 years $80M contract for Jack Eichel matches contracts given to Anze Kopitar behind Connor McDavid, Carey Price, Jonathan Toews, and Patrick Kane.  A fair deal?  A year ago Eichel scored 57 points in 61 games.

That's too much too soon from where I'm sitting. Eichel's a fine player and call me old fashioned but I just don't see him as a $10M player. I suppose if he turns into a reliable, consistent 35/70+ guy he could be a "value" by the end of his contract - pending what happens with the next CBA/rollback. Otherwise it could be Voracekian.

I guess the real question is can the O'Reilly-Okposo-Eichel-Ristolainen core (all signed for next 5+ seasons) seriously compete for the Stanley Cup. For the record, I've got half that core (O'Reilly/Ristolainen) as keepers on my FHL team, but FHL ain't NHL :hocky:. Add in Bogosian and Scandella for the next three and I'd imagine Reinhart and Girgensons.

Sabres have some nice young D, a solid core (noted above) and like so many other teams are desperately in search of a goalie.

If only there was some established vet now playing backup somewhere that could come riding in in a white Lumina and deliver the franchise to the promised land!

nullnullnullryanmillerflag-2.jpg

:cheers:

Way too much for what he's shown.  If he continues to develop he may end up worth that...but two sub -60 point seasons??? How on earth is that worth $10 million a year?!? Yikes!

As for Mr. All America I've Led My Team to Squat...ya, I'm pretty sure if the Sabres signed him to a similar contract the league would just mail them the cup for the next decade. :eyeroll:

That is a lot of $$$ for a guy who has been injured a lot early in his career, but he definitely has shown when he is on the ice that he does have major talent. I personally think  that is  too much $$$ for right now as it compares to others players I consider that have done more than Eichel in there careers such as McDavid, Toews, Price, and Kane.

2 hours ago, Puck It Up said:

That is a lot of $$$ for a guy who has been injured a lot early in his career, but he definitely has shown when he is on the ice that he does have major talent. I personally think  that is  too much $$$ for right now as it compares to others players I consider that have done more than Eichel in there careers such as McDavid, Toews, Price, and Kane.

The whole 1 injury he has sustained in his career?

I don't disagree it is too much money for a guy yet to hit 60 points.

But it is likely he earns it

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

The whole 1 injury he has sustained in his career?

I don't disagree it is too much money for a guy yet to hit 60 points.

But it is likely he earns it

I agree he earns it too as I said he is a major talent. Sure he has had 1 injury and it was kind of a significant one and he has only been in the league for a very short period. So for the amount of time he has been in the league he has been injured a bit for his short career. The bottom line is I believe we agree it is too much $$$ as he hasn't reached the level of McDavid or Kane.

You guys are crazy to say too much too soon. Crazy.  I thought it was going to cost us more.  You should be screaming at some of the contracts that come down for far less talented players than Jack.  If he was in Philly or on your team you would be celebrating.  We have him locked in.  He is never going to wear the dreaded orange and black.  Accept it.  You will sleep better.

4 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You guys are crazy to say too much too soon. Crazy.  I thought it was going to cost us more.  You should be screaming at some of the contracts that come down for far less talented players than Jack.  If he was in Philly or on your team you would be celebrating.  We have him locked in.  He is never going to wear the dreaded orange and black.  Accept it.  You will sleep better.

I understand where you are coming from as a fan of the Sabres locking up a franchise player. That is great and he is a great player that is for sure, but you cannot say that he deserves the same kind of money that Connor McDavid, Patrick Kane, Carey Price, or even Jonathan Toews are making at this point and that is what he got.

3 minutes ago, Puck It Up said:

I understand where you are coming from as a fan of the Sabres locking up a franchise player. That is great and he is a great player that is for sure, but you cannot say that he deserves the same kind of money that Connor McDavid, Patrick Kane, Carey Price, or even Jonathan Toews are making at this point and that is what he got.

Its not about deserves right now.    You know as well as I do that if you do not lock up guys like this you lose them and then bang your head against the wall.  My fear in baseball, my team being Baltimore, is about Machado.  A guy like him does not come around every day.  I am hoping we can lock him in too .  Or the filthy thieving Yankees will steal him for sure.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Its not about deserves right now.    You know as well as I do that if you do not lock up guys like this you lose them and then bang your head against the wall.  My fear in baseball, my team being Baltimore, is about Machado.  A guy like him does not come around every day.  I am hoping we can lock him in too .  Or the filthy thieving Yankees will steal him for sure.

I understand the need and what the team had to do and most likely Jack Eichel will earn that money as his career goes on, but the way I looked at the title of the thread it was just stating how much he made and how many years and how it compared to others like McDavid and Kane which right now he is not that caliber of player.

1 hour ago, Puck It Up said:

I understand the need and what the team had to do and most likely Jack Eichel will earn that money as his career goes on, but the way I looked at the title of the thread it was just stating how much he made and how many years and how it compared to others like McDavid and Kane which right now he is not that caliber of player.

I see you too are a Flyer fan.  Like 95% of this forum.  So as I said before, if he was with Philly, you guys would have wanted him locked up for 8 years and in this current world of athletes being grossly overpaid, especially in basketball, and baseball, your fan base would have done the same.  Supported locking him in, and not taking any chance of losing him. 

4 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I see you too are a Flyer fan.  Like 95% of this forum.  So as I said before, if he was with Philly, you guys would have wanted him locked up for 8 years and in this current world of athletes being grossly overpaid, especially in basketball, and baseball, your fan base would have done the same.  Supported locking him in, and not taking any chance of losing him. 

There is one problem I have with those sort of what you are calling Lock Down deals. When those deals affect the possible signing of a few other talented players on your team. That to me doesn't make it a quality deal. Sure Eichel is a great player and the Sabres really need him because they are really rebuilding around him, but if it costs them down the road in signing other quality surrounding pieces then what good is that?

Hmm....my whole take on the Jack Eichel signing?

Well, yea, $10M for 8 years is a lot of money and a lot of term.

But then, Eichel was a number two overall pick with the talent to back it up.

I see both sides of the argument (paying the guy because he is your cornerstone vs leaving money to sign others), but IMO, the Sabres HAD to make this deal.

The franchise needs to have their superstar and Eichel is it. Simple as that.

As for leaving money for others? Well, according to capfriendly, the Sabres currently have almost $6M in cap space.

Granted, Eichel's deal doesn't kick in till next year, but then, the Sabres will have some other contracts coming off the books next year and the following year after that...........contracts that, if you need to get Eichel some players (aside from the very nice group he has already around him) Buffalo can dump.

Evander Kane is making five and a quarter. He comes off next year.

Matt Moulson is making $5M, his contract comes off the year after next.

Jason Pominville? $5.6M and his will expire at the same time Moulson's does.

The Sabres can then make decisions on Lehner after this year (he will be an RFA, but is making $4M) and make a decision on Josh Georges (UFA) who is making $3.9M.

See, while I certainly see the point of giving too much to a guy too soon, fact is, Eichel, while not putting up the raw numbers (yet) of a Toews, Kane, or McDavid, still is the type of player you want to have in your organization moving forward and the type of guy you build around...........and according to the cap number, there should STILL be money left to give pay raises to deserving players already with the Sabres and to sign quality guys (including a goalie) if need be.

Eichel's contract may become an anchor at some point, but if Buffalo is smart about who they keep and sign around him, that really shouldn't be a problem for a long time yet.

For me, over in Lightning Land, Steve Stamkos taking $8.5M to stay looks more n more like a steal for a star player every time I see one of those $10M contracts signed.

Even so, had Stamkos wanted $10M to stay (and the Bolts gave it to him), I would have said there that the Bolts needed to keep him as well.......albeit the Bolts currently have more depth than the Sabres in overall talent top to bottom, but still, the point is, you need to pay your superstars.

Can this blow up in Buffalo's face? Absolutely.

Any player is a major injury away from costing his team...and for a highly paid superstar, that risk is obviously greater.

Also, Eichel may mysteriously simply not live up to the contract with his performance in the coming years.

But chances are, Eichel will be worth it and I do believe Buffalo made the right call by telling him, "We want you to be our guy".

Now the organization has to be smart about where and on whom they spend money on moving forward so the team stays competitive.

A tightrope act for sure, but one that teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa Bay have shown IS possible.....while others like Edmonton and Minnesota are attempting to show can work as well.

44 minutes ago, Puck It Up said:

There is one problem I have with those sort of what you are calling Lock Down deals. When those deals affect the possible signing of a few other talented players on your team. That to me doesn't make it a quality deal. Sure Eichel is a great player and the Sabres really need him because they are really rebuilding around him, but if it costs them down the road in signing other quality surrounding pieces then what good is that?

Being in a small market and lucky to have an owner like Pegula who himself is loaded, he wants to win.  So he is willing to pay to do it. I do not see a problem because the league knows that McDavid and Eichel are the two golden boys of tomorrow.  Crosby of yesteryear.  Even though he is not finished yet. Teresenko is in this conversation also.  

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Being in a small market and lucky to have an owner like Pegula who himself is loaded, he wants to win.  So he is willing to pay to do it. I do not see a problem because the league knows that McDavid and Eichel are the two golden boys of tomorrow.  Crosby of yesteryear.  Even though he is not finished yet. Teresenko is in this conversation also.  

I would also add Laine and Matthews on that list of young and extremely talented along with some others. I don't doubt that Eichel with eventually earn every penny of his contract and I do hope they can build around him. 

8 hours ago, Puck It Up said:

I would also add Laine and Matthews on that list of young and extremely talented along with some others. I don't doubt that Eichel with eventually earn every penny of his contract and I do hope they can build around him. 

Yes that kid and the Leafs.  The Leafs nation are sure excited.  Blew Winnipeg out of their own building.  Goaltending helped.  I am hoping Sam Reinhart has  a good year.  Another franchise player for us is Ristolainen.  He is very important

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Yes that kid and the Leafs.  The Leafs nation are sure excited.  Blew Winnipeg out of their own building.  Goaltending helped.  I am hoping Sam Reinhart has  a good year.  Another franchise player for us is Ristolainen.  He is very important

I really like Ristolainen as he is part of my Fantasy team. I also like Ryan O' Reilly.

49 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Dont forget Pietrangelo and Eckblad.  I mean for scoring, Pietrangelo might lead all defensemen in points?  

I also have Pietrangelo on my fantasy team and love him. 

49 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I expect a huge season from him and the Cup to go with it

I am not sure about the Cup. I really have a feeling the Blue Jackets are going to hoist the cup.

On 10/7/2017 at 2:42 PM, Puck It Up said:

I am not sure about the Cup. I really have a feeling the Blue Jackets are going to hoist the cup.

I cannot count them out but I feel the Caps have the experience to win the East.  That fiasco in Chicago the other night, that will likely cost me my fantasy team win, was an indication of a Cup hangover in Pittsburgh.  I mean, 10 goals?  Really?  The Blues are the only Western team that has shown the ability to beat the Hawks at crunch time and regular season.  Last year in one game down 3-1 after two they came back to beat them  5-3 in their building.  The Blues are loaded.

Archived