Game 1 Flyers at Sharks 10/04/17 10:30 pm

OccamsRazor

It's here....we've been waiting awhile...

Image result for nolan patrick flyers gif

Not sure of the starting lineup yet....feel free to post it here once word is out.

Shayne says he is a go...we'll see.

So who in net to open the season??

I would go Elliot.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One side effect the Flyers aren’t thrilled with about the four-game road trip — three of them are home openers. That means after the team goes out for warmups they have to sit idle in the locker room while the home team goes through the theatrics of introducing each individual player, coach and staff member. “I haven’t sent the thank you card yet to NHL scheduling,” Hakstol said.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

GAME 1 PREVIEW: FLYERS @ SHARKS

It has been 178 days since the Philadelphia Flyers concluded their 2016-17 season. Tonight, the puck finally drops on the 2017-18 campaign as Dave Hakstol's Flyers take on Peter DeBoer's San Jose Sharks at the SAP Center. Game time is 10:30 p.m. EDT. The game will be nationally televised on NBCSN.

This is the first of two meetings between the teams this season, and the lone game in San Jose. The clubs will rematch in Philadelphia on Nov. 28. Last season, the Flyers sustained a 2-0 shutout loss in San Jose (Dec. 30) and then skated to 2-1 overtime home win (Feb. 11).

The Sharks are a team that habitually gives the Flyers' trouble. Dating back to Feb. 16, 2004, the Flyers have gone just 2-10-5 against San Jose. The Flyers' last road win in San Jose was back on Feb. 3, 2014, in a game where the Flyers entered the third period trailing, 2-1, and then exploded for four unanswered goals to win the game, 5-2.

Flyers Outlook

The 2017-18 season marks the second straight year the Flyers have started the regular season with a game in California. This year's opener is the start of back-to-back games for the Flyers and the beginning of a three-in-four gauntlet through the state. Tomorrow night, the Flyers are in Los Angeles (site of last year's opener) and, on Friday, the team is in Anaheim.

If the Flyers are to push for a playoff spot this season, posting a significantly improved road record will be a must. Last season, the Flyers compiled a robust 55 points on home ice (25-11-5) but just a meager 33 points (14-22-5) on the road.

This was not a one-season aberration. Over the last four seasons, the Flyers enjoy the NHL's 7th best home record but rank 24th on the road. Dating back to the 2013-14 season, the Flyers have only claimed a cumulative 149 point in away games. Not coincidentally, the Flyers missed the playoffs in two of the four seasons.

The Flyers will enter the 2017-18 season with five rookies on the opening night roster: center Nolan Patrick, left winger Taylor Leier and defensemen Robert Hägg, Sam Morin and Travis Sanheim. All have changed from their training camp uniform numbers to new numbers. Patrick has switched from No. 64 to No. 19 (his junior hockey number with the WHL's Brandon Wheat Kings). Morin has switched from No. 50 to No. 5, while Sanheim has gone from No. 57 to No. 6, Hägg now wears No. 8 instead of No. 48, and Leier has swapped No. 58 for No. 20.

Patrick, the second overall pick of the 2017 NHL Draft, will make his regular season NHL debut on opening night. So will Sanheim if he is in the Flyers' lineup against the Sharks. Leier has played in 16 games over the last two seasons, including 10 games last season. Morin and Hägg each made their respective NHL debuts in the final week of last season.

While the Flyers' opening night forward line appears set, it is much less predictable to forecast how the opening-night defense combinations will be arranged. The holdover pair of 20-year-old reigning Barry Ashbee Trophy winner Ivan Provorov and serially maligned veteran Andrew MacDonald will likely remain intact for opening night. The rest will become clearer after the Flyers' morning skate.

Third-year offensive defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere suffered an upper-body injury in the third period of Sunday's exhibition finale against the New York Islanders. As a precaution, the Flyers took along eight defensemen for the season-opening road trip and waived veteran forward Matt Read (who cleared waivers on Tuesday and was assigned to the AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms).

However, Gostisbehere participated fully in Tuesday's practice and declared himself ready to go for opening night. Whether he plays or not against the Sharks and how the pairings are arranged should become clearer on Wednesday based on the morning skate combinations and which two defensemen (the scratches) take extra skating after the starters leave the ice.

Twenty-two-year-old rookie defenseman Hägg, now in his fourth North American pro campaign after three full AHL seasons with the Phantoms, appears to be the least likely of the Flyers three rookie defensemen to be a scratch on opening night. He played in Sunday's "dress rehearsal" game against the Islanders and was informed that he'd made the NHL roster outright.

In the meantime, neither the 21-year-old Sanheim nor the 22-year-old Morin were in Sunday's lineup. It seemed as if one or the other was going to be the final preseason roster cut before Gostisbehere went down late in Sunday's game. For whatever it is worth, it was the more offensive-minded Sanheim who practiced in Gostisbehere's spot at Tuesday's practice on a pairing with hard-nosed veteran Radko Gudas. Hägg, who played with Gostisbehere for much of Sunday's game, was paired with veteran Brandon Manning at Tuesday's practice.

Since last season, there have been a variety of other changes to the Flyers' look.

Steve Mason was not re-signed as an unrestricted free agent, as general manager Ron Hextall opted instead to sign veteran Brian Elliott to a two-year contract. Elliott will share playing time with Michal Neuvirth, who was inked to a two-year extension last season ahead of his own potential unrestricted free agency.

The Flyers traded Brayden Schenn to the St. Louis Blues during the 2017 NHL Draft weekend, obtaining two first-round picks (Morgan Frost in 2017, and a conditional 2018 or 2019 first-rounder) plus veteran Finnish forward Jori Lehterä. It appears that Lehterä will be a healthy scratch on opening night.

Perhaps the most notable development during training camp this year, apart from the many rookies battling for roster spots, was the adoption of a new top line combination. After seven years of almost exclusively playing center, Claude Giroux was moved to left wing. Typically a shutdown center as his primary role, Sean Couturier now centers Giroux and Jakub Voracek.

After last season, the Flyers dismissed longtime forwards and power play coach Joe Mullen in favor of 39-year-old Kris Knoblauch (late of the 2016-17 Ontario Hockey League champion and Memorial Cup runner-up Erie Otters). Knoblauch has begun to implement a few tweaks to the system employed by Mullen, including having four forwards on the second unit as well as the first. Knoblauch also hopes to see more player movement within the offensive zone and somewhat different methods of offensive zone entries.

As of now, it looks as if veteran Finnish forward, Valtteri Filppula, will remain in the first power play unit spot (left hash marks to mid-center slot) previously occupied by Schenn. Although Filppula is much more of a pass-first player than a frequent shooter, Hakstol and Knoblauch have said they believe the veteran Finn can adapt to shooting more often. He was placed on the top unit, according to Hakstol, to aid in clean offensive zone entries and puck retrievals within the attack zone.

During the preseason, the team's new second power play unit -- Couturier, Patrick, Jordan Weal, Travis Konecny, and Ivan Provorov -- often generated greater pressure than the first unit. That, along with the play of the new fourth line combination of Leier, Scott Laughton and Michael Raffl, was among the bright spots in a 32-3 exhibition season showing for Philly.

On Tuesday, the Flyers voted on a new alternate captain, to go along with captain Giroux and holdover alternate Wayne Simmonds. The players decided that MacDonald, the senior-most defenseman on the roster, would wear the second A for all road games while Filppula, a Stanley Cup winner during his Detroit Red Wings days, would sport the A at home.

Key team stat comparisons (2016-17 NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.59 (T-20th), Sharks 2.67 (19th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.82 (T-19th), Sharks 2.44 (5th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 128/154, Sharks 152/135
Power play efficiency: Flyers 19.5% (14th), Sharks 16.7% (25th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 79.8% (T-20th), Sharks 80.7% (T-17th)
Shots per game: Flyers 31.5 (5th), Sharks 29.9 (T-19th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 28.5 (7th), Sharks 27.7 (3rd)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 52.3% (5th), Sharks 48.1% (23rd)

PROJECTED LINEUPS (Subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers (Tuesday practice lines)

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 19 Nolan Patrick - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 11 Travis Konecny
20 Taylor Leier - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 47 Andrew MacDonald
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas
23 Brandon Manning - 8 Robert Hägg
5 Sam Morin - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

30 Michal Neuvirth / 37 Brian Elliott

Scratches: Jori Lehterä (healthy), Shayne Gostisbehere (questionable, upper-body), one of Travis Sanheim or Sam Morin (healthy), Anthony Stolarz (SOIR).

Sharks

62 Kevin Labanc - 19 Joe Thornton - 8 Joe Pavelski
27 Joonas Donskoi - 39 Logan Couture - 89 Mikkel Boedker
28 Timo Meier - 48 Tomas Hertl - 36 Jannik Hansen
68 Melker Karlsson- 50 Chris Tierny - 42 Joel Ward

7 Paul Martin - 88 Brent Burns
44 Marc-Edouard Vlasic - 61 Justin Braun
4 Brenden Dillon - 72 Tim Heed

31 Martin Jones
[30 Aaron Dell]

Scratches: Barclay Goodrow, Ryan Carpenter, Dylan DeMelo

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

serially maligned veteran Andrew MacDonald

LOL .... did Meltzer really right that! ..... LOL

he is serially maligned because McDud is serially bad on the ice .....

Couturier is our number one center, McDonald is a top two defensemen, Giroux is on the wing, Filppula and Couturier are our power play centers… God help us all.

I was excited for the youth movement – and am still behind it – but looking at that roster and all I can think is, “Yikes!”

I predict a loss.

I also have to point out that it is a major violation by the league to begin the career of the second overall pick not only on the road trip, but on the West Coast. I will be lucky if I see one combined period of hockey over the first three games. I just can’t stay up that late anymore.

On the road this one is going to be tough, but looking at the Sharks they are they could be a team on the downside with Thornton and Pavelski not getting any younger. The addition of Jannik Hanssen will help the Sharks and of course Brent Burns is a beast on the Blue Line. Martin Jones is also a very capable Goalie in stopping any offense.

I say unfortunately this one will be a loss. 2-4.

41 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Couturier is our number one center, McDonald is a top two defensemen, Giroux is on the wing, Filppula and Couturier are our power play centers… God help us all.

I was excited for the youth movement – and am still behind it – but looking at that roster and all I can think is, “Yikes!”

I predict a loss.

I also have to point out that it is a major violation by the league to begin the career of the second overall pick not only on the road trip, but on the West Coast. I will be lucky if I see one combined period of hockey over the first three games. I just can’t stay up that late anymore.

I hear ya.

I will say that the moment another defenseman shows he can handle first pairing duties, MacDonald will be moved to 2nd/3rd pairing, more in line with what his actual skill level is. As much as we all know he's not 1st pairing material, it's ideal right now until someone asserts themselves, like Hagg, as a reliable and ready option. That would be my guess - Hagg will be on the top pairing by Christmas.

Provorov/Hagg

Ghost/Morin

MacDud/Gudas

Manning

Personally, I'd swap MacDud for Manning, and maybe they will do that on a regular rotational basis. But given that #47 has the A and the backing of his teammates, he'll probably be a regular fixture in the lineup.

We have had way worse options in the past - Jones, Vandermeer, Lilja, Foster, Gervais, Modry, Hatcher, Rathje, Parent, Krajicek.

Couturier as #1 C, yeah, it feels like a stretch. Whatever, it is what is. PP2 has looked much better than the first unit, and Couturier has passed well with the other guys. I'm fine with it for now. 

I feel Voracek will be an anchor on the top line. Maybe if we could displace him to the 3rd, and Konecny to the 1st.

Giroux/Couturier/Konecny

Weal/Patrick/Simmonds

Weise/Filppula/Voracek

Raffl/Laughton/Leier

Might spread the love around a bit.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

Giroux/Couturier/Konecny

Weal/Patrick/Simmonds

Weise/Filppula/Voracek

Raffl/Laughton/Leier

I like those lines and I think that's the way it will end up after the road trip unless Voracek steps it up a lot.

25 minutes ago, brelic said:

I hear ya.

I will say that the moment another defenseman shows he can handle first pairing duties, MacDonald will be moved to 2nd/3rd pairing, more in line with what his actual skill level is. As much as we all know he's not 1st pairing material, it's ideal right now until someone asserts themselves, like Hagg, as a reliable and ready option. That would be my guess - Hagg will be on the top pairing by Christmas.

Provorov/Hagg

Ghost/Morin

MacDud/Gudas

Manning

Personally, I'd swap MacDud for Manning, and maybe they will do that on a regular rotational basis. But given that #47 has the A and the backing of his teammates, he'll probably be a regular fixture in the lineup.

We have had way worse options in the past - Jones, Vandermeer, Lilja, Foster, Gervais, Modry, Hatcher, Rathje, Parent, Krajicek.

Couturier as #1 C, yeah, it feels like a stretch. Whatever, it is what is. PP2 has looked much better than the first unit, and Couturier has passed well with the other guys. I'm fine with it for now. 

I feel Voracek will be an anchor on the top line. Maybe if we could displace him to the 3rd, and Konecny to the 1st.

Giroux/Couturier/Konecny

Weal/Patrick/Simmonds

Weise/Filppula/Voracek

Raffl/Laughton/Leier

Might spread the love around a bit.

I reject any lineup that has Couturier  is our first line center.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Personally, I would swap MacDud for the guy that rings the bell for the Salvation Army........The last thing I ever wanted to see was him giving free entry to the zone..EVERY.STINKIN'.TIME. as a Flyer....I am willing to bet that he has not suddenly become a viable d-man.

6 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Personally, I would swap MacDud for the guy that rings the bell for the Salvation Army........The last thing I ever wanted to see was him giving free entry to the zone..EVERY.STINKIN'.TIME. as a Flyer....I am willing to bet that he has not suddenly become a viable d-man.

Yes, I would too. But hanging on to that notion will only drive you insane. This is not the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. 

It's happening whether we like it or not. 

Really looking forward to seeing Provorov and Konecny continue their development, and see how Hagg fits in defensively, and Patrick offensively. There's no juice with the veterans. Other than Simmonds who I know will produce because he's a multi-faceted player, there is no juice. I hope G and Jake have better seasons, but I'm not betting the farm on it.

I think it's gonna be a very long, disappointing season...again.  I too like the youth movement but the team sorely lacks fire power and star quality.  Finishing last in the division in a supposedly great draft year might not be the worst thing imaginable .  Too bad most of the top rated prospects in the 2018 draft are still more defensemen.  I guess you can never have too many.  I'll be spending a lot of time trying to teach myself how to spell "Svechnikov" though.

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Really looking forward to seeing Provorov and Konecny continue their development, and see how Hagg fits in defensively, and Patrick offensively. There's no juice with the veterans. Other than Simmonds who I know will produce because he's a multi-faceted player, there is no juice. I hope G and Jake have better seasons, but I'm not betting the farm on it.

I'm looking forward to big things from Konecny and Provorov this season. I really think the Flyers defense is going to shine this year and in turn help the Goaltending. If we can get consistent scoring this team could surprise this season in my opinion.

Lets Go Flyers!!!!

Good thing this is my last 12 hour shift before I have the next 4 days off. So I am good to go tonight for the game.

Greetings Gang:

Historically, we are sub-.500 versus the Sharks--a rarity given our overall winning percentage.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?San_Jose_Sharks

This opening stretch is a good test; hopefully it is good bonding for the team.  I work tonight but hope to be home for a chunk!

LGF!

Howie

35 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

According to Left Wing Lock .... Elliot is confirmed to start in goal tonight.

Yes, confirmed in Inquirer. Apparently Neuvy is up tomorrow.  Let's hope we don't see an early meltdown of either!

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

LOL .... did Meltzer really right that! ..... LOL

he is serially maligned because McDud is serially bad on the ice .....

But he is good a congratulating the opponents when they score goals...

6 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Couturier is our number one center, McDonald is a top two defensemen, Giroux is on the wing, Filppula and Couturier are our power play centers...

Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave,  human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria

Well one thing is sure....the Sharks have a much more experienced lineup.

So i hope they feel the home opener pressure i know they would just hate to lose the home opener to a bunch of novices!!!!

Guess we'll see pressure makes diamonds....but it also bursts pipes!!!!!!!

I think this could be it from Dave Issac:

DLUF7d0VoAAuLi8.jpg

So Sanheim and Morin sit it seems....that sucks both are head shoulders above two guys in that lineup.

It has to be about experience....it's all they got.

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave,  human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria

You are a poor scientist,  Dr. Venkman.

Archived