Game 1 Flyers at Sharks 10/04/17 10:30 pm

OccamsRazor

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That about sums that up.

He did look competent, though.  I'll take it.

Im going to try to stay objective on him. 

Manning/Gudas was more of  a killer last night and that was mostly due to manning being a bit soft and the refs just hating Gudas. 

They werent phantom calls but both were borderline and radko never gets a break on borderline. Compared to what he used to do, this was a lady byng performance. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

AMaC to the rescue...a new form of penalty kill...deflecting into your own net. Like it had anti-eyes.  Honest mistake but so....deflating.

I once heard the expression that good luck is merely the convergence of preparation and opportunity.  

Whatever that hat makes bad luck, Mac's got it in spades. 

At a certain point do we just get to decide it's more than just bad luck?

43 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Even though they won, it still doesn't excuse Hakstol from being a moron. And once again, Andrew MacDonald screws up and helps San Jose score. But he's still a top 4 guy according to the moron head coach.......

You know my feelings on MacDonald.  I know it's easy to scapegoat and I'm all for it, but it is really hard to blame that on MacDonald or call it a screw up.

He was exactly where he was supposed to be and doing what he was supposed to be doing.  That puck came fast from behind him, hit his skate, and I think came off the skate faster than it hit it.  I don't even think Couture designed that or attempted it on purpose.  Just one of those things.

I'd prefer the kids.   But if last night were as bad as MacDonald is going to play (it's not.  he has worse in his arsenal), I'll take that.

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Im going to try to stay objective on him. 

Manning/Gudas was more of  a killer last night and that was mostly due to manning being a bit soft and the refs just hating Gudas. 

They werent phantom calls but both were borderline and radko never gets a break on borderline. Compared to what he used to do, this was a lady byng performance. 

Agree on all counts.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

You know my feelings on MacDonald.  I know it's easy to scapegoat and I'm all for it, but it is really hard to blame that on MacDonald or call it a screw up.

So you are saying he is suffering from "The Coburn Effect".......

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, I would have said the the diametric opposite.  I thought the 4th line looked better than a Flyer 4th line in a really long time and thought they had very productive shifts and drove the play.  I actually saw them pinning the Sharks, not the other way around.   Interesting.

Well maybe I'm just overreacting to a few choice moments.  They got beat badly a few times.may be coloring my perspective on the overall

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Manning shouldn't be there.  Makes no sense. Manning had a rough night.  Don't blame Gudas for the boarding call or the interference.  Both were borderline calls and plays you want him making. 

I missed the interference call, but I stand by my assessment of the boarding penalty. Yes, it was borderline, but it was unnecessary given the time and situation. Just over one minute to go in a one goal game, when you have a powerplay and they've pulled their goalie. He could have accomplished the same thing by stopping and leaning into LeBanc to tie him up, rather than hitting him. It wasn't a grievous hit, but the timing and thought process are what made me not like the play.

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd prefer the kids.   But if last night were as bad as MacDonald is going to play (it's not.  he has worse in his arsenal), I'll take that.

MacDonald read this and replied: "Challenge accepted!"

The game was certainly fun to watch.  Actually all the games on last night were fun to watch unless you are a Jets or Flames fan.

I don't like 22 out there.  He was invisible most of the game but he did make one great pass to TK who unfortunately couldn't convert. So I have to give him props for that...

Most of what I had observed had already been discussed.  I feel I need to point out that 21/20 played really well IMHO.  I've been on the fence with 20 but from last night I could see why he made the team.  Hopefully they can dress 15 for 22 or 12 tonight to get him some action. However I feel Hak will ice the exactly same lineup since it worked last night.

So nice to start the season with a great road win in regulation!

Two more positive points:

The Flyers currently lead the Metro, and are tied for first in the East.

Wayne Simmonds is currently tied for the league lead in goals.

48 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He could have accomplished the same thing by stopping and leaning into LeBanc to tie him up, rather than hitting him. It wasn't a grievous hit, but the timing and thought process are what made me not like the play.

See from my eyes, this is EXACTLY what it looked like Radko did.  He didn't really hit him, he kinda smushed into him.  LeBanc went splat into the boards seemingly all on his own from my POV.   Not a dive exactly, but he definitely oversold the boarding.  

51 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I missed the interference call, but I stand by my assessment of the boarding penalty. Yes, it was borderline, but it was unnecessary given the time and situation. Just over one minute to go in a one goal game, when you have a powerplay and they've pulled their goalie. He could have accomplished the same thing by stopping and leaning into LeBanc to tie him up, rather than hitting him. It wasn't a grievous hit, but the timing and thought process are what made me not like the play.

The interference call was debatable.  The replay was a poor angle.  Basically the refs determined that Radko tied made contact with Tierney a fraction of a second before the puck got to him.  It wasn't rough, it wasn't hard, it was essentially a clean check that may have happened a split second too soon and the replay shielded the puck from view, so I can't tell you how upset I am about it.   

2 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Did anyone actually watch it? I didn’t see a second of it. 10:50 start time, what a f-ckng disgrace by the league. I'm too old for that sh-t.

Yeah, and several of us were in game chat till the very end.  

It was the Sharks home opener.  

Planning to watch tonight's Kings opener also.

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Yeah, and several of us were in game chat till the very end.  

It was the Sharks home opener.  

Planning to watch tonight's Kings opener also.

Tonight's game is suppose to have a puck drop at 10 p.m. which is better than 10:50 so I might be able to make it all the way through instead of only the first 2 periods.

5 minutes ago, Puck It Up said:

Tonight's game is suppose to have a puck drop at 10 p.m. which is better than 10:50 so I might be able to make it all the way through instead of only the first 2 periods.

that was me last night.... I was fighting to stay away through the entire 3rd period.   Those late starts are terrible....

44 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

that was me last night.... I was fighting to stay away through the entire 3rd period.   Those late starts are terrible....

Yeah, I am even off work until next Monday. I am an RN and work three 12 hour shifts and yesterday was my last, but I am also a Full Time Mom to a 1 year old daughter who I knew was going to get me up bright and early this morning so I had to play it smart if I wanted to be coherent and alert for her today.

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

So you are saying he is suffering from "The Coburn Effect".......

MacDonald couldn't hold Coburn's jock strap sweat. I'll openly admit my pure unadulterated hatred for MacDonald.  He got a retirement contract from the Flyers and he's done nothing to earn a dime of it. He's the only guy who has ever donned a Flyers jersey that I wish they'd exile to Siberia. Worthless piece of dog excrement that deserves all the abuse he gets.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

MacDonald couldn't hold Coburn's jock strap sweat. I'll openly admit my pure unadulterated hatred for MacDonald.  He got a retirement contract from the Flyers and he's done nothing to earn a dime of it. He's the only guy who has ever donned a Flyers jersey that I wish they'd exile to Siberia. Worthless piece of dog excrement that deserves all the abuse he gets.

You need to be a little less ambiguous.  I'm not quite clear on how you feel about MacDonald. :VeryCool:

1 hour ago, Puck It Up said:

Yeah, I am even off work until next Monday. I am an RN and work three 12 hour shifts and yesterday was my last, but I am also a Full Time Mom to a 1 year old daughter who I knew was going to get me up bright and early this morning so I had to play it smart if I wanted to be coherent and alert for her today.

I wish I was as smart!   I am dragging... lol

2 hours ago, Puck It Up said:

I watched on DVR with my 1 month old in my arms this morning. Goes a lot quicker when you can skip the breaks and the baby stays asleep!

1 hour ago, Leach27 said:

saw the 1st period only. only "complaint" was manning, saw him fall down twice and his penalty lead to a sj goal. :shakeshead:

It really seemed to be a rough game for Manning.  I thought he had a good preseason too.  

I hope to see Morin or Sanheim against the Kings instead.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Just  guessing you did not read my sig line(we agree on MacDud).......The Coburn remark was in regards to scoring on his own goal. Coburn seemed to score more goals against his own goalie than the opposing teams.

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

Just  guessing you did not read my sig line(we agree on MacDud).......The Coburn remark was in regards to scoring on his own goal. Coburn seemed to score more goals against his own goalie than the opposing teams.

hey dude, sorry if you thought I directed that comment at you. Definitely not the case. MacDonald is someone who I absolutely despise and hate. I hated Coburn as well, but never was the Coburn hate on the level of the MacDonald hate. Coburn had million dollar talent, but a ten cent brain. MacDonald has no talent and no brain. He's a waste of $5.5 million dollars and the fact that Hextall and Hakstol think glowingly of him irritates the hell out of me. EVERYONE can see he's a detriment to the team with regards to his play. Yet the two of them have this man crush for him. I don't get it.

Archived