Game 1 Flyers at Sharks 10/04/17 10:30 pm

OccamsRazor

4 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Puck drop now at 10:50...probably due to the stupid Pens game running late due to their lousy banner raising (gag me).  No way I will be able to stay awake for the whole game now.

I am sort of lucky as I work three 12 hours shifts as an RN and my last shift was today. The bad thing though is I have a 1 year old daughter and she will be getting me up at the crack of dawn in the morning. So I will make it as far I as can. I have to play it smart so I can be alert and coherent tomorrow.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of a strange, frustrating first.  The O and B started like fire and gave up two Labanc goals. The first was great hand-eye coordination...the second a stupid turnover.  That was painful after a long day.  That said, Elliott looks alive and a goal from G is a good start.  

Well at the end of the 2nd and being up 3-2 I am pretty happy. Unfortunately I am going to have to turn in and miss the 3rd because my little one is going to have me up early. I hope they can hang on.

10 minutes ago, Puck It Up said:

Well at the end of the 2nd and being up 3-2 I am pretty happy. Unfortunately I am going to have to turn in and miss the 3rd because my little one is going to have me up early. I hope they can hang on.

Welcome to the Board, Ms. Puck it Up.  We will keep the light on for you.  Ghost gives them a fighting chance.    

Howie

Simmonds on pace for 246 GOALS!

What a great game and a great way to start the season. The first line really looked decent.

Patrick still looks to be getting his bearings in the NHL, hopefully he does before his 8 game tryout is over, otherwise he could end up getting sent back to juniors.

This is what I was worried about with Giroux and Couturier on the same line. 25% OZ starts for Patrick's line. Please don't turn this kid into a defensive center.

Laughton, Patrick, and Giroux were all >50% on draws. Couturier right at 50%. Filpulla 1 for 5.

thought it was a great game.   the 4th line was really good - nice to see speed for one across the board.   

TK just looks like a player through and through...   All around nice effort.    

Now if Hak could get his ass out of his head with the lineup decisions.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Even though they won, it still doesn't excuse Hakstol from being a moron. And once again, Andrew MacDonald screws up and helps San Jose score. But he's still a top 4 guy according to the moron head coach.......

And that Manning-Gudas pairing was brutal. Couldn't get out of their own end, couple bad penalties.

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Kind of a strange, frustrating first.  The O and B started like fire and gave up two Labanc goals. The first was great hand-eye coordination...the second a stupid turnover.  That was painful after a long day.  That said, Elliott looks alive and a goal from G is a good start.  

Typical Hakstol team reaction to getting a lead. It's like they're all wearing "Frankie say relax" tshirts after they get a lead. 

But they bounced back.  The sharks are a good talented team. They're not going down without a fight. 

Really impressed with Weal and Konex speed. Big big help.  

Giroux looks a lot like a guy I used to like watching named Claude Giroux.  Skating like a pro again. Good to see.  

I like that line.  I think they get better.  They were less afraid of shooting Than I feared. Credit Coots with two unofficial assists and a couple of almost goals.  Too bad he got beat on the shortie, but jones just stuck with him and took him. 

Patrick impresses me.  It's not going to be long before he starts putting up points. His eyes and hands are great. He and his mates just need to get used to finding the seams.  His backchecking was strong and I sensed some butterflies.  

Mac didn't look horrible but he didn't look good.  I'm not swayed. 

Weise was not great either. He wasn't bad (screwed up once or twice) but wasn't great and to me he had to be great to justify Lindblom starting in the minors.  

Manning had a good campy but should probably not be in the lineup.  I hope they platoon in Sanheim and Morin soon. 

Did Raffl get hurt? He disappeared and I see he only ended up with like 7mins. 

My biggest criticism is not one I expected to have.  The 4th line looked weaker to me.

Laughton and Leier just were getting beat and pinned down. Not what I expected.  Belly and VDV weren't good at much but they drove play ok and L&L need to get better at it. It's  much better way to play a 4the line roll.  

Elliot was about Steve Mason good but Mason himself got chased in the Jets Leafs game  so I'm cool with it. He made some big stops. They may not have been challenging shots, but they were big situations to be sure.   

24 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Did anyone actually watch it? I didn’t see a second of it. 10:50 start time, what a f-ckng disgrace by the league. I'm too old for that sh-t.

Yeah, stayed up until it ended shortly after 1:00.

It was actually entertaining.  I say "actually" because you and I have talked about how boring the team has been to watch the past couple years, but they actually looked like a hockey team last night.

Now, bear in mind that it was the first game of the season and I haven't seen actual hockey in several months, but they looked good.

Weal looks terrific.  He looks like he just knows where to go.   He could have had several last night.    Just missed or a great save by Jones. But he's all around the puck.

I love Konecny, but I'm already thinking the guy might struggle to finish.   I love everything else he does, so I'd like to see him rewarded.  And the third line might not be the best place for him.  But, he may struggle to score.

The fourth line is vastly better than what we've had, and certainly better than last year (by a LOT).  They move, they're on the puck, they create chances, and many times actually hemmed the Sharks in.   Really productive shifts.

Elliott was sound.  The one goal bounced very quickly from low right into the low slot and off MacDonald's skate and in.  Like a gunshot ricochet.  Really fast, anyway.   Really nothing Mac or Elliott could do.  Both were where they were supposed to be, just a fluky thing.

Lanbanc's (who was awesome last night) one goal was a work of art.  Can't blame Elliott there.   Whacked it in lacrosse-style from about 3 feet in the air.   Sweet goal.   His first goal was legit, but I don't remember it as clearly.   But no cheapies except for the fluky thing that really wasn't the goalie's fault.

Defense:

Manning/Gudas was probably the weak spot. Ran around a bit, got hemmed in, and took some stupid penalties.   But not horrible.  Just not good.

Provorov/McDonald.   Provorov played half the game. Five minutes more than McDonald, who was second most on the team.   They looked good.  Despite their ice time, they weren't on the ice with the first line as much as you would think.  I don't know whether the idea was to have them out to help other lines or what, but I did notice that.

Ghost/Hagg.    Interesting.  Hagg made some rookie mistakes.   They were out with the first line quite a bit.   Good first game for Hagg, though, and Ghost looked good for his UBI.

All around, just a very well-played road game.

29 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And that Manning-Gudas pairing was brutal. Couldn't get out of their own end, couple bad penalties.

Manning shouldn't be there.  Makes no sense. Manning had a rough night.  Don't blame Gudas for the boarding call or the interference.  Both were borderline calls and plays you want him making. 

Should have been Sanheim with Radko and Morin with Ghost Hagg with Provo.

we're going to see penalties, blown coverage and bad punches and rough nights until it is. 

Right now Provo and Gudas have too much heavy lifting to do. 

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

My biggest criticism is not one I expected to have.  The 4th line looked weaker to me.

Laughton and Leier just were getting beat and pinned down. Not what I expected.  Belly and VDV weren't good at much but they drove play ok and L&L need to get better at it. It's  much better way to play a 4the line roll.

Honestly, I would have said the the diametric opposite.  I thought the 4th line looked better than a Flyer 4th line in a really long time and thought they had very productive shifts and drove the play.  I actually saw them pinning the Sharks, not the other way around.   Interesting.

45 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Did anyone actually watch it? I didn’t see a second of it. 10:50 start time, what a f-ckng disgrace by the league. I'm too old for that sh-t.

I watched the first 2 periods before I had to go to bed even though I have off work until Next Monday, but I have a 1 year old daughter who starts calling me very early in the morning.

Archived