Game 2: Flyers at Kings, October 5, 2017, 10 pm (NBCSN, CSN)

AJgoal

I thought the team looked much faster last night, I have not seen them that fast in a long while, no doubt much faster than anything we saw last season.

As far as Sanheim goes, it is the kids first regular season start, and a defensemen at that, I say give him more of a look before we bench him and or send him to the A. I would love to see Morin starting next game as well as keeping Sanheim in.

They were attacking the net really well at first, than the old "gotta have the perfect shot, trick play dangling 30 passes dekeing to much" play took over and I thought that cost them the game.

They kept the game simple in the beginning, go hard to the net, fast skating, taking the shot which was nice. Liere looks like a differet player out their, loved how he was using his body last night to shield the puck, that fourth line looks awesome.

The only thing that I don't want to see stick is the 3rd line, TK is being wasted, sit Weise and bring up Lindblom please!

Voracheck is making me very nervous, he has not looked better at all so far this year. We where all hoping he was going to break out last year and nothing.

This year looks more of the same, I PRAY we do not have yet another team destroying contract on our hands if by chance Jake is a bust, we can't not afford this, we are still suffering because of McDonald.

P.S Not turning on Hakstol but he really as a coach has to start to know how to counter punch when a team figures out your game plan.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, vis said:

I don't know about utter domination.  It's not like the Flyers didn't have opportunities and were outskated and I thought the Flyers played very well in the third period.  Although, the Kings did a good job at keeping Flyers chances to a minimum though and obviously on the PK.  Overall, I thought it was a good effort for the second leg of back-to-back games on the West Coast where it was the home opener for both teams.  I liked the effort last night and thought it was an entertaining game despite the outcome.  

The Flyers did not have any really strong opportunities.  Shots on goal don't count as opportunities in my book.  The had almost zero penetration and couldn't find an effective passing lane all night and had virtually no dangerous shots on Quick who had to make virtually no difficult saves.

The Kings did out skate the Flyers constantly.  They out skated them in the Nuetral zone and inside their own zone.  Essentially meaning the out-skated the Flyers into position to shut down the Flyers.  Which means they skated exactly as hard as they had to and not a bit harder.  

THe Flyers just couldn't find a gear beyond the Kings.  When the Flyers upped it, the Kings upped it.  They didn't dominate puck control or shots, but they essentially controlled the game.  It was impressive.  

It's not that I didn't like the Flyers effort.  It wasn't so much an effort problem.  And I'm not going to get up in arms over a 2-0 loss in game 2 of the season against a strong team on their home opener (2nd night in a row playing a home opening team).  

I'm not even upset with Hakstol about it.  It happens.  Especially early in seasons with young teams with a lot of new players.   It's just wat happened and it should get better...  

However, if I see this happen a lot more, I'll get concerned.  Hakstol had no solution to what Stevens' Kings were throwing at him.  It's early.  But if they have many more games like this beyond November or early December, I'll start to get on Hakstol's case.  

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers have to do better at getting traffic in front of the net.

Can't give Quick all that room with a clear sight of rhe puck for one.

They did that really well against the Sharks, but I agree against the Kings.

Quick was really tracking the puck well.   It was going to take lateral, side-to-side attack down low and that really never materialized.  

I couldn't stay up for the third, but based on the first two, they looked slower than the night before and the Kings were faster than the Sharks.  This caused issues.   

I mean, you have to score, but otherwise not actually a horrible away game on the second night of a back-to-back (both home openers).

I just don't think they really had their legs.

@King KnutDisagree with that assessment.  Not disagreeing that the Kings' defense limited the Flyers, but your description makes it sound as if the Flyers did nothing at all during the game and you seem to ignore the third period.  

4 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

As far as Sanheim goes, it is the kids first regular season start, and a defensemen at that, I say give him more of a look before we bench him and or send him to the A. I would love to see Morin starting next game as well as keeping Sanheim in.

I agree with all of this whole heartedly.  You can tell Sanheim got confused on the quick turn around.  He saw Lewis, but he wasn't sure who he should cover after Laughton coughed up the puck at the blue line.  

Which I knew Sanheim blew his coverage on the play, but let's not give Laughton a turnover pass for making a god awful pass at the blue line that was just far enough to get the Kings On Side and just close enough to get clean penetration behind the entire flyers team going the other direction.  Then Laughton blew the check on Clifford as he entered the zone.  

Sanheim saw the trailer and he saw Lewis coming in and he had a moment of hesitation which was all the two of them needed.  Sanheim got caught out of position and that screw up kept him from saving the day, but Laughton was the one who actually screwed up twice to create the play. 

They were attacking the net really well at first, than the old "gotta have the perfect shot, trick play dangling 30 passes dekeing to much" play took over and I thought that cost them the game.

To be fair, with Quick playing the way he was, they actually did need the perfect shot which the Kings weren't giving them.  

The exeption would be Jake and G on the PP.  Way too many passes.  

They kept the game simple in the beginning, go hard to the net, fast skating, taking the shot which was nice. Liere looks like a differet player out their, loved how he was using his body last night to shield the puck, that fourth line looks awesome.

This is the second game in a row this 4th line has coughed up the puck badly, leading to a goal.  Their play driving numbers are fantastic and on paper they're doing what you'd want them to 90% of the time.  But when they screw up, it hurts.

The only thing that I don't want to see stick is the 3rd line, TK is being wasted, sit Weise and bring up Lindblom please!

Total agreement.  Weise is problematic and the lack of an impressive shot to help out the PP and to make everything TK and Filppula do to get strong energetic zone entry happening is wasted.  Weise has no place on this line.  I think you have to risk waiving Lehtera.  What's that worst that happens?  You get 5 million in cap space in an instant.  

6 minutes ago, vis said:

@King KnutDisagree with that assessment.  Not disagreeing that the Kings' defense limited the Flyers, but your description makes it sound as if the Flyers did nothing at all during the game and you seem to ignore the third period.  

Watching the third period, I saw a Flyers team that couldn't get good penetration or move the puck laterally or even get a decent clean shot shot.

What did I miss? 

They controlled play very well.  They didn't do anything to beat the Kings shut down system and size and they didn't create the sort of opportunities that make things tougher for a goalie like Quick.  

They did everything right, which happened to be exactly what the Kings wanted them to do and the Kings were ready and waiting for them at every turn.  

Maybe you saw an exciting game, but there was barely 3 or 4 moments all game that looked to me like the Flyers had a chance in hell of putting together a goal.  All I saw was the Kings barely breaking a sweat doing exactly what they intended to do all night.  Stevens had it down and his system and his team's execution of that system and size just stymied the Flyers.  

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Last few posts are interesting.  Quite a bit of divergence on how the Flyers and Kings looked...

Was that including mine?   Keep in mind, I missed the third period, which was apparently better.

But no, in the first two periods I didn't hate the way they played or anything.  But they looked slower than the night before.  And the Kings looked faster.   They played them to 1-0- until about 2 1/2 minutes to go, so they weren't horrible.  I mean, that's not bad on the road in the home team's home opener and the 2nd night of back-to-back.

I don't think they really ever recognized Quick's play and made any real alterations in attack.  But again, that's not entirely fair since I didn't see the third.   And maybe the Kings were just doing well at preventing that. 

The only negative thing I will mention, though, is that Sanheim had just a horrible first two periods.  I'm more than willing to chalk that up to first game jitters, but it did appear his nerves were getting the best of him.   It's not a statement about him or about anything going forward, but just that it was pretty bad.    Not Provorov in Chicago bad, but bad.

Speaking of Provorov, he was really fighting it in the two periods I watched.  Fell down on several really bad occasions that caused odd men rushes or problems in his end.  They're on ice, I get it.   But just blew tires.  Other stuff that "yeah, he's fighting it."   They all have games like that and he did fight it (in a good way).

That's really the only things that really stood out.  For me, it just wasn't as entertaining a game as Wednesday, but I guess they don't all have to be.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I couldn't stay up for the third, but based on the first two, they looked slower than the night before and the Kings were faster than the Sharks.  This caused issues.   

THey were much faster than the Sharks.  To my eyes, it wasn't so much that the Flyers looked bad, but that the Kings looked significantly better than they have in several years.  They were executing their game the way they were in the Cup Finals against the Rangers.  They were just on their game and it was a thing of beauty... unless you were a Flyers fan.

A lot of times, it's easy  to look at a game like this and see the Kings not moving their legs or skating fast and think, well they're not skating quickly tonight.  

But when you consider the fact that almost every time the Flyers attempted a zone entry, the camera would pan over to show the kings zone and 4 black jerseys are already there skating "not fast" in their own zone.   The Speed of a team like that happens when you're not looking.  It happens when we're watching the Flyers regain control and enter the neutral zone.  While they're doing that, most of the Kings are already getting set up in their own end... and doing that is how you shut down the passing lanes and establish your front of net presence leading to the shut down of the lateral passing and front of net traffic you're talking about.  It was very impressive.  The Kings flat out played a VERY strong game and were VERY disciplined in adhering to their system.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I just don't think they really had their legs.

This is certainly part of it.

I thin Konecney, Weal and Patrick in particular looked a little sluggish.  They may have all just put a little bit too much into Wednesday to have it all tonight.  It's early.  They'll get into shape.  It'll come.  These things take time.  It was afterall the King's Opener and the 2nd game in less than 24 hours for the Flyers.  

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

What did I miss? 

In the third the Flyers have several solid chances but Quick was on top of his game. The Kings have a pretty solid d-line too no matter which ones are on the ice and between them and Quick's play they severely limited the second chances. I am in total agreement that Weise is a severe detriment to the third line. If he was sent down and Lehtera brought up, I would call that a risk worth taking. As someone else already noted worst case, it would clear approx 5 mil off the books if someone did take him.

Oh, one more comment based on the first two periods but also on the first night.

Has Voracek suffered a stroke?

More than MacDonald -- who let's be honest, has played a decent two games -- Voracek is becoming my whipping boy.  He irritated the crap out of me increasingly the last two seasons.  And now---STOP CARRYING THE PUCK!  YOU SUCK AT IT!

Just dumb stuff every time he's got it.   Like he's had his brain stem surgically removed or something.  God awful stupid.  Just stop Jake; just stop.

1 minute ago, flyerrod said:

In the third the Flyers have several solid chances but Quick was on top of his game. The Kings have a pretty solid d-line too no matter which ones are on the ice and between them and Quick's play they severely limited the second chances. I am in total agreement that Weise is a severe detriment to the third line. If he was sent down and Lehtera brought up, I would call that a risk worth taking. As someone else already noted worst case, it would clear approx 5 mil off the books is someone did take him.

I just didn't see those chances in the third as as much of a huge deal for Quick.  They didn't seem like great shots to me.  

@King Knut I think we disagree on semantics.  I wouldn't call that game utter dominance by the Kings.  I hear phrases like utter dominance and think of the Hawks/Pens game.  Were the Kings more effective than the Flyers?  Yes, I don't disagree with you on that.  But I wouldn't say the Flyers were utterly dominated in that game.

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Was that including mine?   Keep in mind, I missed the third period, which was apparently better.

Yes.  A few posts above @Philly29 said they looked fast to him and you said you thought they looked slow.  @King Knut disagree as to whether the Flyers were utterly dominated by the Kings.  Just kind of interesting to me that folks seem have divergent views on that game.  I thought they were fine, skating-wise, given it was the second half of a back-to-back game.

The only negative thing I will mention, though, is that Sanheim had just a horrible first two periods.  I'm more than willing to chalk that up to first game jitters, but it did appear his nerves were getting the best of him.   It's not a statement about him or about anything going forward, but just that it was pretty bad.    Not Provorov in Chicago bad, but bad.

He had a rough outing, for sure.  

That's really the only things that really stood out.  For me, it just wasn't as entertaining a game as Wednesday, but I guess they don't all have to be.

I was exhausted on Wednesday and dozed in and out of the Sharks game, so my frame of reference might be off. 

51 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Oh, one more comment based on the first two periods but also on the first night.

Has Voracek suffered a stroke?

More than MacDonald -- who let's be honest, has played a decent two games -- Voracek is becoming my whipping boy.  He irritated the crap out of me increasingly the last two seasons.  And now---STOP CARRYING THE PUCK!  YOU SUCK AT IT!

Just dumb stuff every time he's got it.   Like he's had his brain stem surgically removed or something.  God awful stupid.  Just stop Jake; just stop.

Jake has been terrible for a while and it's getting worse.  I don't think he knows what he's supposed to do on the ice.  Someone needs to sit him down and explain that he's sucking and what he needs to do to stop sucking.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

K-Squared:

You are asking a good question and only time will provide the answer.  In theory, Hakstol has the most talented squad during his tenure. That said, I think he has a "three seasons" this season: A trial until Turkey Day, a "test model" from Turkey Day through trade deadline, and the beta model from then to the end of the season.  My gut says the last 30 or so games determine his staying or going into year four.

I like this way of looking at it.  And yeah... The time between THanksgiving and the deadline is where last season completely unraveled, and it will probably make or break Hakstol this year.  

A guy like Quick will routinely stop 92 or 93 of every 100 shots. You need luck or creativity to get the job done. We had no ricochet types like the Sharks did, and our stud Mr. Simmonds, had no material to deflect.  I hope we don't get into the habit we had last year...outshoot but underscore our opponents. I think that was a comment on our lack of creativity. 

It is game 2. I am not panicking.  As for waiving Weise or Lehtura..just remember the max is I believe--$925,000 or 1.025 million...so we "lose" on Lehtera, Weise, or our favorite, AMac.  

17 minutes ago, vis said:

@King Knut I think we disagree on semantics.  I wouldn't call that game utter dominance by the Kings.  I hear phrases like utter dominance and think of the Hawks/Pens game.  Were the Kings more effective than the Flyers?  Yes, I don't disagree with you on that.  But I wouldn't say the Flyers were utterly dominated in that game.

I'll just say that I believe the Kings played exactly how they wanted to and the Flyers more or less played exactly how the Kings wanted them to.  

If the Kings had tried to open it up and score more like the Hawks did, I believe the Flyers would have had more scoring opportunities.

I don't know what happened to the Penguins.  It was two away games against Home openers for them too I suppose, but damn... Guess they really miss the Fleury Murray tandem?  WTH knows.

13 minutes ago, vis said:

Jake has been terrible for a while and it's getting worse.  I don't think he knows what he's supposed to do on the ice.  Someone needs to sit him down and explain that he's sucking and what he needs to do to stop sucking.

I do not like Jake on the line with Giroux and Coots.  I just don't like it.  

37 minutes ago, vis said:

I thought they were fine, skating-wise, given it was the second half of a back-to-back game.

Yeah.  I really blame it on the back-to-back in terms of skating.   I don't think they looked necessarily "slow."  But they looked slower to me than Wednesday, when as a group they seemed pretty fast to me.  For me, it was just comparison to the night before rather than my complaints about speed in previous years.  It could also just be that the Kings seemed really fast to me in comparison to the Sharks (who didn't exactly look "slow;" just slower than the Kings seemed to be).

But yeah, to your point, it really is amazing to me the variety of views--and sometimes complete opposite--from people who all watched the same game.  It is often glaring to me when debating a big hit when arguing whether something should warrant a suspension, etc.   I guess that's why police look for multiple witnesses at something because we all see very different things.

39 minutes ago, vis said:

Someone needs to sit him down and explain that he's sucking and what he needs to do to stop sucking.

The first time I read that I read:

"...what he needs to do IS stop sucking."

That would have been just about the funniest thing I've read in days.

27 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don't know what happened to the Penguins.  It was two away games against Home openers for them too I suppose, but damn... Guess they really miss the Fleury Murray tandem?  WTH knows.

I was pleased with that game.  Niemi looked bad and Murray bothered.  Should have put Niemi back in when the game got further out of hand.

28 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I do not like Jake on the line with Giroux and Coots.  I just don't like it.  

I don't like any two of them on the same line, but don't mind Giroux at wing.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The first time I read that I read:

"...what he needs to do IS stop sucking."

That would have been just about the funniest thing I've read in days.

Ah, I fell a little short.  Sorry to let you down...

4 minutes ago, vis said:

I don't like any two of them on the same line, but don't mind Giroux at wing.

No I agree with this and so far Coots works as his C for me.  The three of them together leaves an obvious hole... shooting.  

I say Konecney or Wayne up to 1Rw

Archived