Game 2: Flyers at Kings, October 5, 2017, 10 pm (NBCSN, CSN)

AJgoal

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We are getting a goalie clinic. Both are outstanding. The O and B are moving well despite back-to-back.  

What up Howie.

How does Sanheim look i'm stuck at work.

I'll watch when i get home at 8am.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Howdy:  Sanheim looked flat-footed on the LA goal.  He got a double minor that they killed off but it looks like he is not adjusting to the speed around him.  

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What up Howie.

How does Sanheim look i'm stuck at work.

I'll watch when i get home at 8am.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@Howie58

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like it's time to give Morin a shot for the Ducks game.

The Flyers are owning the third.  But they can't get anything past Quick.  Power play for the O and B coming up.  

All i saw was the highlights but one thing i saw was obvious. Will watch the whole game i when i get home before bed.

Flyers have to do better at getting traffic in front of the net.

Can't give Quick all that room with a clear sight of rhe puck for one.

They did that well the first game it lead to a win.

Tough loss.

That first goal was a terrible turnover by Laughton you can't do that when you're surronded by King players.

Travis might of had a better chance at stopping the pass if he gets his stick down on the ice.

Rookie mistake.

Can't win em all.

Look at he film and get ready for the Ducks.

The Flyers do look much faster than last season, and they are taking shots in higher percentage areas of the ice.

Guys will make mistakes, we have to move on from putting every play under the microscope.

The 4th line is BEAST! Compared to what we've had in recent years. Dam can they apply pressure and maintain it in the offensive zone or what?

I think we are losing TK's talent keeping him stuck on the 3rd line with an underachieving center like Filp and Weise. Maybe it is just Weise that is throwing off that chemistry? Maybe when they return to Philly Oscar may be called up to try LW on that line?

I really like Weal's speed and heart, reminds me a little of Briere.

Patrick skated much better tonight, saw a little speed in his game.

The team's overall speed/jump is exciting! Can they keep it up for 80 more games? If so 95 points aren't out of the equation.

3 hours ago, Off the Pipe said:

The Flyers do look much faster than last season, and they are taking shots in higher percentage areas of the ice.

Guys will make mistakes, we have to move on from putting every play under the microscope.

The 4th line is BEAST! Compared to what we've had in recent years. Dam can they apply pressure and maintain it in the offensive zone or what?

I think we are losing TK's talent keeping him stuck on the 3rd line with an underachieving center like Filp and Weise. Maybe it is just Weise that is throwing off that chemistry? Maybe when they return to Philly Oscar may be called up to try LW on that line?

I really like Weal's speed and heart, reminds me a little of Briere.

Patrick skated much better tonight, saw a little speed in his game.

The team's overall speed/jump is exciting! Can they keep it up for 80 more games? If so 95 points aren't out of the equation.

Getting good goaltending is good to see too.

A lot to like still.

I am still concerned with Jake.

Is it me or does anyone else notice that he choses to pass when he should shoot and he'll shoot when he should pass???

It's like someone got the wires crossed in his brain. It's  just baffling the decision he makes sometimes.

Had the game on while I was doing some work.   Thought the Flyers looked pretty good, but a mistake or two cost them.  Thought they gave the Kings a good run and dominated in the third.  Didn't watch closely enough to zero in on any players in particular, but overall they seem to be skating well - particularly after having played last night.  I think the speed and skating of the fourth line is a big difference maker.  What an upgrade over PEB and VV.  

Sanheim was OK.  He got caught a little with the Laughton turnover on the first goal.  He had an unsuccessful pinch on the second goal which led to the rush the other way and MacDonald hopelessly flailing on the ice.  I get why he pinched.  Just has to get there quicker in that circumstance.  (Carter abused MacDonald and made a nice pass to Toffoli.)  He didn't do much otherwise from what I saw, except the penalty.  I get that he probably had some jitters.  Morin should draw in for the next game.  Would be criminal if he doesn't.  

I know it's only two regular season games, but Patrick has not been noticeable - except his skating.   I've said elsewhere that I expect him to get off to a slow start.  Looks like that's the case - literally and figuratively.  People (media, fans) are going to start getting real antsy about him and it's only a matter of time before people start questioning things (health, ability, how he'a being handled, whatever).  Not worried.  I think he settles in around midseason.

Neuvirth looked good.  Quick was amazing.  

Somewhat related, but how about the Hawks putting up double digits on the Pens?  Had that game on before the Flyers.  That was a blast.  

5 hours ago, Off the Pipe said:

I agree that TK is being wasted on that line but I'm not sure where else he fits in.  

Even though this one was a loss I have to say it was an enjoyable game to watch or at least the amount I could watch before going to bed. Time to watch the film boys and make adjustments and get ready for another very good Goalie in Gibson. Bring on the Ducks.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is it me or does anyone else notice that he choses to pass when he should shoot and he'll shoot when he should pass???

It's like someone got the wires crossed in his brain. It's  just baffling the decision he makes sometimes.

I agree, it is so frustrating. If he will just act selfish with the puck and shoot every time he crosses from right to left while others are crashing it will generate more scoring opportunities than the rushes going the other way with bad passes sometimes. He could easily have 5-7 shots a game and increase the teams success.

13 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I agree that TK is being wasted on that line but I'm not sure where else he fits in.  

That's why I say maybe Oscar swap out with Weise. Oscar can at least open up space with Filp so TK can skate around and do his thing.
Maybe move Filp to LW and give Voybarov(?) a chance to center that line? Is he in AHL or returned to Juniors?

20 minutes ago, Off the Pipe said:

That's why I say maybe Oscar swap out with Weise. Oscar can at least open up space with Filp so TK can skate around and do his thing.
Maybe move Filp to LW and give Voybarov(?) a chance to center that line? Is he in AHL or returned to Juniors?

Sit Weise and try Lehtera in his place.

Macdud with the auto back into the zone and no challenge giving Crater free entry and a chance to set up the pass(a beauty though) to Tiffoli. Part of the blame goes to his partner who was pressing and got caught.  Quick was an absolute machine. Tough loss but overall a well played game. Weise has not improved his play from last season either. He is stealing the Worst Player on the ice from Macdud at this point. It would not break my heart to see him pulled from the lineup.

Outplayed and outcoached.

the kings looked excellent and the Flyers looked flat.  Not sure I get what was happening with the lines by the end, but it doesn't really matter. They got straight up beat. 

They couldn't get behind the defenders and the Kings were very good at shutting down passing lanes.  

Stevens put on a system clinic with this one.  

Sanheim screwed up but so did his forwards who were also fairly green in that moment. These get better with time. 

Patrick looked duller to me.

Neuvy looked decent to good with a great snag or two.

jake and g passed too much. That line's lack of a finisher didn't seem like a problem Wednesday but it was a  Glaring problem last night. The all did great things... but the need someone to shoot.  

The kings aggressive PK just swallowed the PP up whole.  Ghost never had time and they simply couldnt connect clean passes to set him up and shots never got through for Wayne to tip or hammer home.

the kings were very very good.  They're also friggin huge in their own end.

rough back to back.  Hopefully they sharpen up. 

Agreed with prior observations.  The "carryover" from last year is the notion that quantity and quality of shots aren't equal. We outshot the Kings but they had better chances.  You don't beat a guy like Quick without grease and/or tic-tac-toe plays catching him out of place. 

Yep...rookie stuff.  We hope they learn.  Our PP looked impotent one night after looking invincible. Strange. 

I like the fourth line...works hard, has energy.  Laughton may be a valuable 4th line center.  Overall, the work ethic was there. But Quick was the man.  And Ghost can dance and doodle...but he needs to get shots on goal and people have to screen or deflect.  Too many of his shots seemed far afield.  

On to Ducks.  

Howie

After watching the first two games, i agree with the other posts. Flyers deserved at least a point in LA last night but Quick was on his game and the Flyers **** the bed on the PP after doing so well in SJ.

Two observations

• I still wish the Flyers had a true finisher/sniper. They are paying G and Jake a combined $16mil+ this season and they both look to pass first. 
  • This team just doesn't look the same without VandeVelde. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

#76 Never Forget!

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

And Ghost can dance and doodle...but he needs to get shots on goal and people have to screen or deflect.  Too many of his shots seemed far afield.  

Yeah, I attribute this to him just not having the time or room that he had Wednesday.  The Kings played a very tough very tight game.  They didn't give the Flyers any room to do anything decent (as you say) on Quick and the Flyers didn't have the solution. 

This is why I worry about Hakstol.  Does he have a "next level" ?  Can he make adjustments when it counts to break through stuff like this?

Not a problem for now.  But if they can't at least start to make some room against this kind of a team by the end of the year, Hak's going to have to be reconsidered.  

7 minutes ago, Samifan said:
  • his team just doesn't look the same without VandeVelde :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Yeah, 

It looks better.

Agreed on the sniper, but not on the Point.  The Flyers had the puck possession and shots numbers and probably Corsi numbers (haven't checked yet) to earn the point, but the way the Kings played proves the flaws with those philosophies.  A good defense can let you take crappy shots and crappy shot attempts all day and if you can't get any inside penetration or pass laterally for one timers, it's not going to amount to a hill of beans. 

To me, the Kings utterly dominated this game and the Flyers played exactly into their hands all night.  They earn the two with flying colors in my book. 

16 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yeah, I attribute this to him just not having the time or room that he had Wednesday.  The Kings played a very tough very tight game.  They didn't give the Flyers any room to do anything decent (as you say) on Quick and the Flyers didn't have the solution. 

This is why I worry about Hakstol.  Does he have a "next level" ?  Can he make adjustments when it counts to break through stuff like this?

Not a problem for now.  But if they can't at least start to make some room against this kind of a team by the end of the year, Hak's going to have to be reconsidered.  

K-Squared:

You are asking a good question and only time will provide the answer.  In theory, Hakstol has the most talented squad during his tenure. That said, I think he has a "three seasons" this season: A trial until Turkey Day, a "test model" from Turkey Day through trade deadline, and the beta model from then to the end of the season.  My gut says the last 30 or so games determine his staying or going into year four.

23 minutes ago, King Knut said:

To me, the Kings utterly dominated this game and the Flyers played exactly into their hands all night.  They earn the two with flying colors in my book. 

I don't know about utter domination.  It's not like the Flyers didn't have opportunities and were outskated and I thought the Flyers played very well in the third period.  Although, the Kings did a good job at keeping Flyers chances to a minimum though and obviously on the PK.  Overall, I thought it was a good effort for the second leg of back-to-back games on the West Coast where it was the home opener for both teams.  I liked the effort last night and thought it was an entertaining game despite the outcome.  

35 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I really can't think of a time when he's made an "in-game" adjustment to counteract something the opposition is doing.

Archived