Game 2: Flyers at Kings, October 5, 2017, 10 pm (NBCSN, CSN)

AJgoal

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The first time I read that I read:

"...what he needs to do IS stop sucking."

That would have been just about the funniest thing I've read in days.

Both are Valid. He carries it like he's a controlled entry machine but his controlled entries are just a bit out of control. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, King Knut said:

his controlled entries are just a bit out of control. 

Oddly, this works.  Just about as good a description as any.

I think he thinks he's better than he is.   I wonder if it really is his contract.   Not in the typical sense where someone decides "I got paid and have a NMC.  I can do whatever."   But he almost seems like his contract means he should be better than he is.   The guy keeps trying to stickhandle through multiple people and I'm thinking he shouldn't try to stickhandle through a blue line.

He holds onto the puck entirely too long.  And then, making matters worse, he tries a pass that has like a 3% chance of making it.  He's a possession killer.  It would be one thing if he had a great one-time shot or something where you just tell him, "stand there --->.  We'll get you the puck.  You know what to do."     He doesn't.   If something doesn't change quickly, it's going to be a really long 7 remaining years on his contract (including this one).

47 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

As for waiving Weise or Lehtura..just remember the max is I believe--$925,000 or 1.025 million...so we "lose" on Lehtera, Weise, or our favorite, AMac.  

I did not see any of the preseason games so I have no personal reference to go to on Lehtera. The fact that Weise was not waived and Lehtera was means Hakstol thought Weise was the better option. That alone makes me wonder just how bad Lehtera was to be beaten out by Weise and if that is the case we should thank anyone who is willing to take his salary off the books.....

Flyerrod:

Hope all is well. I would love any of the three to be taken off the roster. But I was speaking of the salary savings via waiving. We are capped at about a million per player. AMac is at 5 million, Lehtura is 4+ and I believe Weise is 2 or so. So waiving them with only saves a part of their salary...not that it doesn't hurt, it's just that the savings are about 1 Entry level contract worth...a Vecchione.

18 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I did not see any of the preseason games so I have no personal reference to go to on Lehtera. The fact that Weise was not waived and Lehtera was means Hakstol thought Weise was the better option. That alone makes me wonder just how bad Lehtera was to be beaten out by Weise and if that is the case we should thank anyone who is willing to take his salary off the books.....

This sadly isn't reAlly the case.  

lehtera  was not waive.  Read was.

Does that meAn they think he's better than read? Maybe or it may just have been hat Lehtera can play more positions and is more useful.  

Lehtera being in the press box over  Weiss may be just because Weise is a natural wing and thus better at that position than A natural center.  

Weise on on the roster and read waived might be just because read at a higher cap hit had an easier time getting through waivers, less likely to be claimed.  

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Oddly, this works.  Just about as good a description as any.

I think he thinks he's better than he is.   I wonder if it really is his contract.   Not in the typical sense where someone decides "I got paid and have a NMC.  I can do whatever."   But he almost seems like his contract means he should be better than he is.   The guy keeps trying to stickhandle through multiple people and I'm thinking he shouldn't try to stickhandle through a blue line.

He holds onto the puck entirely too long.  And then, making matters worse, he tries a pass that has like a 3% chance of making it.  He's a possession killer.  It would be one thing if he had a great one-time shot or something where you just tell him, "stand there --->.  We'll get you the puck.  You know what to do."     He doesn't.   If something doesn't change quickly, it's going to be a really long 7 remaining years on his contract (including this one).

The crazy thing is during the lockout season and the one after, he was a possession beast. So hard to knock off the puck, and really strong along the boards. 

What the f$#* happened?

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Speaking of Provorov, he was really fighting it in the two periods I watched. 

I too haven't finished watching the 3rd just woke up been on night shift i will watch in awhile.

But man a little in Ivan's defense his partner who shall not be named looks like a confused mad man the times i seen him.

Flailing (not Ivan you know who) on the ice and not even blocking a shot on that second goal. Ivan just needs a better partner, someone who can help him more not put all the responsibility on him.

Give him Gudas or Hagg maybe.

Went to the game and was behind the bench. There seemed to be a problem with the ice as players would fall down uncontrollably and look up and have the face of what the hell just happened as if someone did a stupid prank and pushed them down. It was the oddest thing to see. And it happened to a few players.

I think the passing was the Achilles heel and had they been sent in front of the players as oppose to the back of their legs at times, it seemed at those moments the Kings were railing back and they could of scored a few goals.

The Kings played pretty decent and the Flyers played at 10:30+PM. Try playing a hockey game at 1 am back to back and see if you can stay with it til the end.

I think they should of brought in Morin for that game. I believe he would of helped out offensively and those cross ice passing and tip ins would of been nullified. He would of fit in with the style the Kings were playing better than Sanheim.

Though I have nothing against Sanheim, but I think the coaching staff rolled out the wrong player due to his skill set. They needed better back end coverage against the Kings and Morin knows how to clean up others slop. 

The Kings lost last year against the Flyers, so a King's Revenge was the bounty set and collected this late night. Though a few times the Flyers did kick it up a gear (could count them though with one hand and a few finger closed) and had the Kings back pedaling, but when they entered the offensive zone, they were like an ocean wave and the tides never went any further and receded.

Jake needs to stop being Dr. Jakelle and bring out Mr. Hyde and shoot the puck once in the zone right away. His Command and Presence due to his shiftiness and speed cause the other teams to start to have a slight stunned effect and his sneaky shot that he can do would help open up rebounds and second opportunities against Quick type goal tenders.

At the end of the game I almost got in a fight with a stupid usher acting silly and disrespectful. Had to put him in his place, but ya a wasted $150.00 that's for sure.

Morin should of been in on that round. Would of helped out on D and him and Ghost at the Point would of been fun to watch as they blast their shots on net from their respective sides. Probably would of tied the game and maybe lost it in overtime, but squeeze out a point.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Not in the typical sense where someone decides "I got paid and have a NMC.  I can do whatever."   

I use to be a huge Jake fan, he does work hard, but his entry with the puck is laughable often.

The one good thing about him is, he doesn't have a NMC contract, his is open. SO if TK can start putting the puck in the net, he could conceivably moved to the 1st line, Jake to 3rd and than possibly to another team come trade deadline.

16 minutes ago, Off the Pipe said:

he doesn't have a NMC contract

And Vegas could use a star....just saying...Flyers are deep at RW.

Speaking of RW's Wade Allison scores two goals (the GWer) and an assist in the Bronco's win last night. 

Nice start of the season for the kid.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And Vegas could use a star....just saying...Flyers are deep at RW.

Speaking of RW's Wade Allison scores two goals (the GWer) and an assist in the Bronco's win last night. 

Nice start of the season for the kid.

The Flyers hate goals.  They'll apparently do anything to prevent scoring them.  

And careful what you wish for on Jake.  With our luck they'll trade him to Vegas for Bellemare.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

With our luck they'll trade him to Vegas for Bellemare.  

HA....good one.

I would trade him for David Perron though. It would free up some money to give to Wayne....just sayin...

On 10/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, OccamsRazor said:

HA....good one.

I would trade him for David Perron though. It would free up some money to give to Wayne....just sayin...

I highly doubt Hex would ever make a Voracek for Perron trade. If Voracek were to be traded, it would almost certainly be for a younger and highly touted player to fit with the emerging new core we have. Perron isn't a bad player, but he's not that.

Unfortunately, the fact Voracek is playing below his paycheck is fairly obvious to anyone. I doubt even Hex can pull a fast one on some unsuspecting GM. Very few teams could take on that much money even if they wanted to. If a trade were to happen, it would almost certainly require that we retain salary. Add to that, given the length of the contract, our retained salary in this case would be for pretty much forever.

On that note: It's not that Voracek is a bad player by any stretch. He can be very effective. The challenge is quite simply that he's not as good as he seems to think he is. He tries to play like a franchise player who can singlehandedly drive the play and make stuff happen, but he's not that. More to the point of this particular post: He's getting paid like a franchise player, but he's not a franchise player. I would argue he never was, though I have had this convo with a certain someone before *cough*@brelic, and I realize other folks have a different take. 

For the time being, he's a top six forward who needs to get certain habits out of his head. Again, he just doesn't have the skill set he seems to believe he has. To be fair about that, the vast majority of NHL players don't have that level of skill. He could be an effective complimentary piece, but first he'd have to learn his place. From what I can tell, he just hasn't figured that out yet.

He lost his way the year his contract was signed, quite possibly because he now feels he needs to be a franchise cornerstone. He's trying to be. It's gotta be a tough load to carry when a guy like that realizes that Tavares he is not.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

I highly doubt Hex would ever make a Voracek for Perron trade.

i do too. Ron gave him....he ain"t trading him...i just said that name bause if he did it would be a salary dump....nothing more. 

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

i do too. Ron gave him....he ain"t trading him...i just said that name bause if he did it would be a salary dump....nothing more. 

When the guy's not leading the team at a more than point per game pace, I'll feel more comfortable complaining about his shortcomings or contemplating trades. 

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

When the guy's not leading the team at a more than point per game pace, I'll feel more comfortable complaining about his shortcomings or contemplating trades. 

He ain't going anywhere contemplate all you want.

Ron signed him to that deal and like they continue to roll Wiese out there Ron ain't benching him he is his signing. 

He will continue to play his guys....see Mcdud.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He ain't going anywhere contemplate all you want.

Ron signed him to that deal and like they continue to roll Wiese out there Ron ain't benching him he is his signing. 

He will continue to play his guys....see Mcdud.

I don't think it has anything to do with Hextall signing a guy.  He signed Schenn and sent him packing. 

Mac is playing well.  Yes a goal bounced off him and another one almost became s goal after it. Ounces off him, but for all my batching about him not being waived, he's mostly playing well and I can't honestly say they're not safer with him than Morin right now. 

Essentially Mac has shut me up for the time being.  

The problem Ron now has is that Morin and Sanheim need regular minutes in the NHL to get better.  Sanheim's improvement from his first to his second games was impressive.  Not flawless. But impressive. He's playing better than manning did.  

But then id always espoused that manning should be the 7th man and Mac sent down.  

If you waive mac, no one takes him.  And if they do?  Yippee. 

But someone will takenmanning snd hes and he's a serviceable 7th man.  He should be here until the deadline.

mean time if Hextall was offered a sweetheart deal for voracek like he was for Schenn, I think he'd probably take it.  

It it would hurt the team now, but hopefully in a year or two 19 is feeling his oats and taking that role in hand.  

At this point I'd trade jake just because between the two, I'd rather be stuck with Simmer long term and as things are, giving him the extension he deserves just won't be in the books.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I don't think it has anything to do with Hextall signing a guy.  He signed Schenn and sent him packing. 

Mac is playing well.  Yes a goal bounced off him and another one almost became s goal after it. Ounces off him, but for all my batching about him not being waived, he's mostly playing well and I can't honestly say they're not safer with him than Morin right now. 

Essentially Mac has shut me up for the time being.  

The problem Ron now has is that Morin and Sanheim need regular minutes in the NHL to get better.  Sanheim's improvement from his first to his second games was impressive.  Not flawless. But impressive. He's playing better than manning did.  

But then id always espoused that manning should be the 7th man and Mac sent down.  

If you waive mac, no one takes him.  And if they do?  Yippee. 

But someone will takenmanning snd hes and he's a serviceable 7th man.  He should be here until the deadline.

mean time if Hextall was offered a sweetheart deal for voracek like he was for Schenn, I think he'd probably take it.  

It it would hurt the team now, but hopefully in a year or two 19 is feeling his oats and taking that role in hand.  

At this point I'd trade jake just because between the two, I'd rather be stuck with Simmer long term and as things are, giving him the extension he deserves just won't be in the books.  

Yeah but he also traded Schenn before too.

Or part of the brain trust who did same thing.

Either way it's a moot point.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And no one can really without seeing him play.

I don't think Mac is costing them a lot right now.  Aside from a bad bounce, he's okay.  He's holding his own.  He's even made some good plays.  

Morin could BUY them MORE, but that's hard to say as you mention.  

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but he also traded Schenn before too.

Or part of the brain trust who did same thing.

Either way it's a moot point.

Yeah that's why i brought up Schenn.  He signed him, then traded him so anything's possible.  I don't think he's married to guys just because he's the one who signed them.  

Archived