Knights place Calvin Pickard on waivers

hf101

I'm shocked.

The Knights could have selected the obvious choice for a goaltender in Philipp Grubauer from the Capitals last June but instead, they chose Calvin Pickard from the Avalanche.  After picking up Malcolm Subban this week off waivers, whom also was available for selection last June. they have chosen to waive Pickard.

Some reports suggest that waiving him makes him easier to trade.   Do they really have a plan here?  

I'm not sure what you people see in Pickard.  I watched him play here in SA and I was not impressed.  And then he went up to the Aves and was extremely underwhelming.  He played good in the Worlds this past year and probably fooled some people.  Obviously, the Knights feel the same as I do 

4 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I'm not sure what you people see in Pickard.  I watched him play here in SA and I was not impressed.  And then he went up to the Aves and was extremely underwhelming.  He played good in the Worlds this past year and probably fooled some people.  Obviously, the Knights feel the same as I do 

Heck he is for one young and could be looked at as a project or a back up Goalie. Heck Malcolm Subban was just picked up by a team.

4 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Well, to be fair,  I thought he put up decent showings with the defensively piss poor Avs at times last season.

I am not claiming he is the next Roy, Hasek, or even some solid mid tier goalie, but dammit....the Wild have Alex Freaking Stalock backing up Devin Dubnyk!!

That right there is reason enough to send Stalock back to his role as AHL regular goalie and give Pickard the backup job in Minnesota!

Awww, cmon, Minnesota!!

You could have given up a low ceiling forward and a 6th round pick for Pickard!!

Dammit....now whenever Dubnyk needs a rest, they have to run Alex Stale-Lock out there....unless the Wild are willing to bring up that 28 yr old Swedish goalie who has 19 games or so of NHL experience and had a sub .900 sv% in the KHL last year over 48 games........ :huh:

11 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Leafs could have had him for free.  On the surface this doesn't seem very smart.

Yeah, I really didn't understand why they gave up something unless they really thought some other team going to snag him off waivers before they could.

8 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The trade happened after he cleared waivers.

Yep, just saw that. Maybe they really wanted him to back up Andersen. The guy is young and could be a project so I guess what they gave up wasn't too bad.

Pickard is a body, nothing more. I watched him a dozen times or more in Cleveland, he has no mobility and his only skill seems to be 'making himself big' filling up the net. Solid unspectacular AHL tender nothing more. In the Nhl, Well, I guess he is better than Curtis McBackup but that bar is set pretty low.

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Awww, cmon, Minnesota!!

You could have given up a low ceiling forward and a 6th round pick for Pickard!!

Dammit....now whenever Dubnyk needs a rest, they have to run Alex Stale-Lock out there....unless the Wild are willing to bring up that 28 yr old Swedish goalie who has 19 games or so of NHL experience and had a sub .900 sv% in the KHL last year over 48 games........ :huh:

Could of got him on waivers....but if you pick him up on waivers he must be on your NHL roster...so all they would had to do is waive Stalock....Calvin would of been a upgrade over him.

Toronto traded for him so they can stash him in the AHL. Some good depth move for them.

13 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Leafs could have had him for free.

They would of have had to put him on the NHL roster couldn't have sent him down like they did if they claimed him.

Would have to waive McElhinney to do so. So trade garbage for him and stash him in the AHL decent depth move. 

Archived