Contract dispute with Turris

Puck_Pun

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-ottawa-senators-kyle-turris/2017/10/06/

This is an interesting case. He's asking for too much demanding a 7-8 year contract (it boggles my mind that there are so many contracts of that length in the NHL) considering his age. But maybe that's a way of trying to get leverage to say he'll accept a shorter contract for more money. He's a great player and it'll be a shame to see him go if negotiations fall apart, as he is a good player (IIRC he scored 50 goals last season) but such a long contract is really out of the question. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

4 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Yeah, not sure where I got that number from, it was 27.

222.png

Sorry for the pithy post. Was in football stands and really hard to see my screen. 

I really like Turris. Would stink for Ottawa if he left.  I think what he's asking for is horribly unrealistic, but I think you're right that it's simply bargaining position. 

I think Turris is a good player too (I tried, unsuccessfully in the past to pry him away from Rux in fantasy hockey... ;) ), but man...he may be building up a track record that is dubious in nature.

Word was, he 'whined' his way out of Arizona after a hold out (correct me if I am wrong on that), then ends up in Ottawa, seems to fit in nicely...now, it's contract time and he just isn't a happy camper once again....and is now possibly using 'leverage' moves??  Yikes....

He would be a big loss for the Sens...but if Ottawa decides they don't want to deal with nonsense (and Turris will be a UFA after the season), would anyone really be surprised if he got traded for perhaps a mid tier player and a 3rd or 4th round pick?

I simply cannot stand the crybaby, he whined his way out of Arizona and has been good and sometimes very good in Ottawa but that is it. Term/money that he is requesting if reported accurately is absurd.

He and Brassard are two of my least favorite players for more or less the same reason, Brassard when he was with Columbus had a bit of a dog in him, he took shifts off and got in Hitch's doghouse and stayed there, he was a healthy scratch and instead of firing him up he sulked and pouted until finally they traded him. Same with Turris, he had a running feud with Gretzky and the fan base (all three of them) in Arizona to where they donated him for something named David Rundblad.

He is like I said a good and sometimes very good player, so is Brassard but I wouldn't want either one playing for a team that I like. Puff puff pass. 7 years at 6 million a year my butt.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I simply cannot stand the crybaby, he whined his way out of Arizona and has been good and sometimes very good in Ottawa but that is it. Term/money that he is requesting if reported accurately is absurd.

He and Brassard are two of my least favorite players for more or less the same reason, Brassard when he was with Columbus had a bit of a dog in him, he took shifts off and got in Hitch's doghouse and stayed there, he was a healthy scratch and instead of firing him up he sulked and pouted until finally they traded him. Same with Turris, he had a running feud with Gretzky and the fan base (all three of them) in Arizona to where they donated him for something named David Rundblad.

He is like I said a good and sometimes very good player, so is Brassard but I wouldn't want either one playing for a team that I like. Puff puff pass. 7 years at 6 million a year my butt.

So I shouldn't send you the Turris trade request. Got it. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

So I shouldn't send you the Turris trade request. Got it. 

No, don't take it that way, fantasy wise he is usable and I like him. Good fantasy player. In reality tho I think he is a tool.

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

No, don't take it that way, fantasy wise he is usable and I like him. Good fantasy player. In reality tho I think he is a tool.

It is true. We draft a lot of tools in our fantasy leagues.

Those are pretty much the only times we do like certain players lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Heard some chatter between periods of the Vegas-Ottawa game that Kyle Turris and the Senators are very far apart on an extension.

With Turris set to become a FA, the Sens are looking for way to move Turris before the deadline.

Nashville is said to be very interested, but it appears that he would just a rental for them as Turris seems hell bent on testing the FA market.

It was also talked about that Colorado might be another team interested........though Turris, I believe, is not interested in going there either.

He is being awfully picky sounds like.

I can understand if he were an impending FA guy like Stamkos was last year or John Tavares will be this year...but somehow I doubt even those two guys would be as difficult on their teams as Turris seemingly is with the Senators.

He wanted out of Phoenix. Got traded.

Now it seems he wants out of Ottawa.....and he may get his wish if Ottawa can find the right combination of team and return players.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Heard some chatter between periods of the Vegas-Ottawa game that Kyle Turris and the Senators are very far apart on an extension.

With Turris set to become a FA, the Sens are looking for way to move Turris before the deadline.

Nashville is said to be very interested, but it appears that he would just a rental for them as Turris seems hell bent on testing the FA market.

It was also talked about that Colorado might be another team interested........though Turris, I believe, is not interested in going there either.

He is being awfully picky sounds like.

I can understand if he were an impending FA guy like Stamkos was last year or John Tavares will be this year...but somehow I doubt even those two guys would be as difficult on their teams as Turris seemingly is with the Senators.

He wanted out of Phoenix. Got traded.

Now it seems he wants out of Ottawa.....and he may get his wish if Ottawa can find the right combination of team and return players.

Where did this come from?

Everyone in the Ottawa forum claim every indication is Turris wants to be there, but the board of directors in Ottawa is being Ottawa cheap with their several million under the salary cap budget.

36 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Where did this come from?

Everyone in the Ottawa forum claim every indication is Turris wants to be there, but the board of directors in Ottawa is being Ottawa cheap with their several million under the salary cap budget.

This was being discussed by the Ottawa Senator between period broadcasters.

I watched some of this afternoon's Vegas-Ottawa game.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Puck_Pun said:

Turris Wakes Up In Limbo, Again

I honestly don't mind the idea of getting Duchene in exchange for Turris. 

Well, next time Turris wakes up, he will be wearing a 10 gallon hat, cowboy boots, and with tunes from Brad Paisley blaring in the background. :bigteeth:

He is now, and for the next six years, a Smashville denizen...

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, next time Turris wakes up, he will be wearing a 10 gallon hat, wearing cowboy boots, with tunes from Brad Paisley blaring in the background. :bigteeth:

He is now, and for the next six years, a Smashville denizen...

6x6mil for a 60 point two way forward is actually a great deal for Nashville.

Rumors of Ottawa lowballing the heck out of Turris were true it seems. If they did not want to pay him 6x6 that is beyond cheap.

3 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

6x6mil for a 60 point two way forward is actually a great deal for Nashville.

Rumors of Ottawa lowballing the heck out of Turris were true it seems. If they did not want to pay him 6x6 that is beyond cheap.

I don't have links or even remember who exactly was saying this, but I heard Turris was wanting 7 yrs/6M+ AAV.... and Ottawa offered 5 yrs/6M.

If that was true, then it seems the Sens wouldn't budge on the term, though the AAV seems on par.

Would Turris have taken 1 year less at 6M flat to stay with the Sens?

Only his camp knows for sure, but that's the deal he ended up signing with the Preds.

It would be easy to say, "Sure, Turris would have signed that same deal with Ottawa", but I've said it a few times already in different threads.... I think there was a bit more going on behind the scenes than just flat out term and money.

I think perhaps some pride on both sides and neither wanting to give because they didn't want to appear like they were 'submitting' to the other............ or maybe something else we don't know about.

The fact that, at the end of the day, the Sens were willing to basically overpay to acquire Duchene to replace Turris (who are very similar players) probably says a bit about the kind of relationship Turris had with Sens management.  Something just seems a bit 'off' there.

At any rate, it would not surprise me at all to see BOTH Turris and Duchene flourish with their new teams.

I think the real consequences of this deal won't be known till its time for Duchene to re-up.

By then, we can see how productive both he and Turris have been....and whether or not the Sens SHOULD have just given Turris what he wanted when they had the chance.

Honestly it's most likely that Turris would have left the Senators regardless of what transpired, and this way they get someone of equal ability to replace him. I agree with @TropicalFruitGirl26 there's an awful smell surrounding how the negotiations went down, and it's quite likely that his history of being difficult to negotiate with has caused management to just say '**** it, this isn't worth the headache' and decided to get rid of him for someone more pliable.

I'm curious to see what the details of what's happening with Hammond. He isn't bad, how will he be used at his new club? Is he hoping to get into more NHL games faster this way?

14 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

curious to see what the details of what's happening with Hammond. He isn't bad, how will he be used at his new club? Is he hoping to get into more NHL games faster this way?

I just posted a write up about Hammond. Traded to Colorado who don't even want him, remaining with the Senators AHL team while Colorado looks to flip him to someone else and they are getting no takers. Just mind blowing how fast and how far he has fallen.

19 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Honestly it's most likely that Turris would have left the Senators regardless of what transpired, and this way they get someone of equal ability to replace him. I agree with @TropicalFruitGirl26 there's an awful smell surrounding how the negotiations went down, and it's quite likely that his history of being difficult to negotiate with has caused management to just say '**** it, this isn't worth the headache' and decided to get rid of him for someone more pliable.

I'm curious to see what the details of what's happening with Hammond. He isn't bad, how will he be used at his new club? Is he hoping to get into more NHL games faster this way?

His history? Ottawa has a history of being super frugal and low balling guys to the point of telling them they are not that good

22 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I just posted a write up about Hammond. Traded to Colorado who don't even want him, remaining with the Senators AHL team while Colorado looks to flip him to someone else and they are getting no takers. Just mind blowing how fast and how far he has fallen.

So who is going to be Sens goalie of the future.  Anderson is 36 and sure does not have much longer to be deemed as a #1 Starter.  I see the Sens have Condon listed as back-up, but he is a career back-up goalie.

I noticed that 3rd on the depth chart is Marcus Hogberg.

Hogberg was summoned from AHL Binghamton on Monday and will join Ottawa for its two-game series in Sweden against Colorado.

Ottawa decided to carry an extra goaltender for emergency reasons on its overseas trip, and Hoberg will serve as the third-string netminder. Although the 22-year-old posted a 1.89 GAA professionally in Sweden last season, he's off to a rough start to 2017-18 with an ugly 5.30 GAA after three games for ECHL Brampton.

So who is the Sens goalie of the future??????

26 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

So who is going to be Sens goalie of the future.  Anderson is 36 and sure does not have much longer to be deemed as a #1 Starter.  I see the Sens have Condon listed as back-up, but he is a career back-up goalie.

I noticed that 3rd on the depth chart is Marcus Hogberg.

Hogberg was summoned from AHL Binghamton on Monday and will join Ottawa for its two-game series in Sweden against Colorado.

Ottawa decided to carry an extra goaltender for emergency reasons on its overseas trip, and Hoberg will serve as the third-string netminder. Although the 22-year-old posted a 1.89 GAA professionally in Sweden last season, he's off to a rough start to 2017-18 with an ugly 5.30 GAA after three games for ECHL Brampton.

So who is the Sens goalie of the future??????

Brian Elliott.

Archived