Game 2: Predators @ Penguins (10-07-17 - 7e/6c)

Honest Bender

Lines will be posted shortly

Last game, Penguins were embarrassed 10-1 vs the Blackhawks while the Predators made a close game out of mostly lopsided contest with the Bruins yet still came up short with a final score of 4-3. 

Preds young star Kevin Fiala was injured near the end of the game against the Bruins, Pontus Aberg will draw into the lineup in his place tonight. Anthony Bitetto will also make his season debut as Alexei Emelin comes out of the defense unit. 

Nashville Predators 

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson

Hartnell - Jarnkrok - Aberg

Sissons - Bonino - Smith

McLeod - Watson - Salomaki

Josi - Irwin

Ekholm - Subban

Bitetto - Weber

Saros

Pittsburgh Penguins

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust

Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel

Wilson - McKegg - Sheary

Kuhnhackl - Rowney - Reaves

Dumoulin - Letang

Cole - Schultz

Maatta - Hunwick

Murray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First period was back and forth, the Predators did have several spots where they were controlling the play and had plenty of chances in the offensive zone but still trail 2-0 thanks to the Pens making good on a couple of quick chances.

Saros was screened pretty well by Matt Irwin on the first goal and then the Preds defense hung him out to dry on the second goal allowing four Penguins to hang around the net, covered by just one Predator defender. 

Ian Cole left the game after taking a slapshot to the face, hopefully it's not too bad and he can get back on the ice soon. 

Preds are playing physical in the second period. Colton Sissons blew up Malkin and got some energy going through the lineup. Then Austin Watson banged Ryan Reaves near the bench and the dropped the gloves. Watson is okay at fighting, definitely not an enforcer by any stretch and obviously was outmatched by Reaves, but he came away without injury so that's a good outing against Reaves!

Well in the second period the Predators really played very well for the majority of the period and were outshooting and outchancing the Pens by a wide margin but Matt Murray has been really sharp and shut things down. 

Then the Penguins get another quick goal, a shot from the point by Maatta that was tipped by Ryan Reaves and again, poor defense on the play by the Preds, leaving basically the entire glove side unchallenged, allowing the point shot to come straight in, with two Pens in front looking for a deflection. 

There are things to be positive about, but down 3-0 makes it difficult to really focus on them right now.

Pens open the third with another goal, once again, two penguins screening Saros and Maatta is able to blast one home. Saros deserves so much better than this. 4-0 looks horrible and goals 1, 3 and 4 he had no chance on and barely a chance on goal 2. 

Preds also getting outshot 29-17 right now, after the first half of the game where they had some decent opportunity, it's been a lot of Penguins on the attack. 

Followed up by Reaves vs McLeod. Reaves is having a whale of a game with a goal and two fights, the Pens fans are loving him, he's getting huge cheers. McLeod is being eject as well for throwing his helmet, he also might have hurt his hand in the fight. Laviolette is livid, but the ejection call is correct. 

Pens get a PP out of this whole situation.

(and no, I don't mind talking to myself in here. Every great community starts somewhere!)

While I still think the Predators should be a playoff team once again, I play fantasy hockey and I have two Nashville players (Arvidsson and Subban), whom I sat for this match up against the Penguins.

Pens got embarrassed by the Hawks, and I just couldn't see them laying another egg the following game.

The Preds are without Ryan Ellis to start, no Rinne in goal tonight, Neal no longer with the team, and Filip Forsberg is developing a reputation as a bit of a 'slow starter' at the beginning of a season....man, that recipe just didn't bode well for my Predator players.

So far, I am being proven right as both Arvy and Subban haven't done a whole lot (numbers and production-wise) and both are a combined -4.

I will look for Nashville to fare better against Philadelphia and Dallas at Bridgestone in the next two games.

And don't worry bout talkin to yourself......I've done it, and you are right...SOMEONE'S gotta pioneer! ;)

Yeah, I hope that being embarrassed like this and then getting back in front of the home crowd will wake them up and get them focused on the things that make them a winning team more often than not. Right now they're not skating, not shooting, just letting frustration get the better of them. 

Then again, Lavy coached team's have a certain trend that they've all followed. I really hope it's too soon to say that the Predators are going down that same road.

Pens end the game on a PP. Both team's played the third period super chippy and aggressive which resulted in a penalty fest and a 4-0 final score. I'm frustrated and don't know what else to add. Tuesday has to be better because it can't be any worse than this one.

Archived