Off to a Flying Start!

WordsOfWisdom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sloppy game by the Leafs last night against Ottawa. I kept thinking they were going to wake up but the Sens buried them by the second intermission. Too many giveaways. Lots of guys standing around watching the play happen. A stupid faceoff violation penalty. (Fans are getting really tired of players being thrown out of faceoffs.)

In any event, on to the next one.  :)

Ottawa will be our biggest rival in this division. They have some talent (not nearly as much as us IMHO), but where they're better than us is in being a team. Way better.

Someone on that Leafs team needs to step up to the point where a half-assed effort will not be tolerated by the players. This is still just a group of individuals, again IMHO :IDunnoSmiley:

I'm not saying this team is not going to lose games - of course they are. But they should never lose them because of a lack of effort - that's not acceptable IMHO. A captain needs to emerge - a real captain - one who puts team first all the time. 

No, I'm not suggesting anyone in particular. At least not yet ... 

Well now TO is 7-2, the occasional off night will happen, 100% effort, the perfect game every night isn't always going to be in evidence.

So far we're seeing a TO that can surmount it's perceived weaknesses maybe even like a Pitts. that won the Cup with a very suspect d.

Expecting that any team can deliver every second, every minute, every period or game isn't realistic especially when 7 of the significant members are sophomores. 

A team of Hymans might be visually pleasing, all effort little talent, but is it a winning team. 

10 hours ago, hobie said:

Well now TO is 7-2, the occasional off night will happen, 100% effort, the perfect game every night isn't always going to be in evidence.

So far we're seeing a TO that can surmount it's perceived weaknesses maybe even like a Pitts. that won the Cup with a very suspect d.

Expecting that any team can deliver every second, every minute, every period or game isn't realistic especially when 7 of the significant members are sophomores. 

A team of Hymans might be visually pleasing, all effort little talent, but is it a winning team. 

Plus the team just re-signed Polak, so the defence corps will be stabilized somewhat with his presence back there. It won't be perfect, but it'll help.  :)

I know you're a big Polak fan lol. :lovethis:

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Plus the team just re-signed Polak, so the defence corps will be stabilized somewhat with his presence back there. It won't be perfect, but it'll help.  :)

I know you're a big Polak fan lol. :lovethis:

Polak is fine when properly used, playing against the opposition's best 20 minutes plus per night isn't/wasn't proper.

I'm thinking Borgman looks like a possible upgrade to both Polak and Hunwick and Hainsey is also an upgrade to them both.

Hainsey doesn't just throw the puck away, he actually passes it which isn't something Polak could do when facing the quality of opposition Hainsey is facing when paired with Rielly. 

Borgman looks both mobile and physical, a very pleasing blend. 

Well that was disappointing. Leafs never seemed to get out of first gear against the Flyers.  :(

Leafs seemed to have real problems getting the puck out of their zone. Weren't able to ignite their offence. Andersen didn't seem sharp (or maybe those were just perfectly placed shots). Zaitsev's lazy clear over the glass was the nail in the coffin.  

Is it just me or do the Leafs lack right-handed shooters?

28 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

It is soooo frustrating watching this team !!!!!  :bonkingheadonwall:

How do the refs not call this???

giphy.gif

He should be suspended today for this non call...very dirty hit...yet we know that is his game. #dirtbag

Come on OR. You see these every day - and believe it or not, against other teams too. They are not going to catch every play - and the refs may not even agree with you that it's a penalty. If I knew how to cut and paste those highlights, I could probably post a dozen they missed on you guys too. So what? Let it go. Refs are going to miss calls against your team, my team, all teams. It just is what it is.

I stopped worrying about it many years ago. So should you. :pleasestopnow:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

How do the refs not call this???

giphy.gif

He should be suspended today for this non call...very dirty hit...yet we know that is his game. #dirtbag

It was nice of the linesman to jump out of the way so Ghost could be boarded properly.......

2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

It was nice of the linesman to jump out of the way so Ghost could boarded properly.......

And then the extra little push at the end by Leo for good measure....just to make sure he would be out i guess.

They better sit this P.O.S.!!!

12 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Come on OR. You see these every day - and believe it or not, against other teams too. They are not going to catch every play - and the refs may not even agree with you that it's a penalty. If I knew how to cut and paste those highlights, I could probably post a dozen they missed on you guys too. So what? Let it go. Refs are going to miss calls against your team, my team, all teams. It just is what it is.

Suspension...

No suspension...

I hope this happens to Matthews and see how you feel about it.

12 hours ago, BluPuk said:

you mean like the 2 incorrect calls by "ref" kevin pollock that cost 1) the oilers the series vs ducks and 2) nashville a game 7. 

Yes, exactly like that. And many HUNDREDS of others just like them over the millennia, maybe even thousands. So what? As a Leafs fan, I'm sure you remember 1993? That little non-call may have cost the Leafs a Stanley Cup.

Have you been to an NHL game lately? Seen how fast the game is? You have two choices here - either accept that the referees (and linesmen) are human and are going to miss one occasionally, or go to TV replay replay on every play.  Let the coach's challenge every single play!

Every highlight you've shown has happened to every team in the NHL (with the exception of Vegas). Either get used to it or get ready for "NHL ReviewMax!!!!"

And I estimate a 5 hour watching time for games in the NHL. And I bet there would still be complaints. :whiteflag:

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Yes, exactly like that. And many HUNDREDS of others just like them over the millennia, maybe even thousands. So what? As a Leafs fan, I'm sure you remember 1993? That little non-call may have cost the Leafs a Stanley Cup.

Have you been to an NHL game lately? Seen how fast the game is? You have two choices here - either accept that the referees (and linesmen) are human and are going to miss one occasionally, or go to TV replay replay on every play.  Let the coach's challenge every single play!

Every highlight you've shown has happened to every team in the NHL (with the exception of Vegas). Either get used to it or get ready for "NHL ReviewMax!!!!"

And I estimate a 5 hour watching time for games in the NHL. And I bet there would still be complaints. :whiteflag:

You certainly provide a mature view of NHL officiating. There are questions to be asked. Why was there no supplemental discipline? Does the NHL care more about  saving face than player safety? They are stressing a faster, cleaner game, but allow a Leo Komarov, to potentially destroy a young potential superstar's future. BTW: Ghost is one of the cleaner players in the league. 

With TBI/CHI such a central issue in all sports it is concerning when the NHL selectively enforces rules designed to reduce the incidents of head trauma and ignores other incidents. This very apparent inconsistency appears ripe for a NHLPA lawsuit. Failure to apply supplemental discipline  is a case in point of selectively addressing the problem! 

I am not advocating having players self-enforcing the rules. Marking Leo Komarov for revenge is not the answer, but how would you feel if Gudas were to eliminate Matthews with one of his brutal checks? Oh, I forget, the league calls every Gudas penalty a major and throws him out of the game, even if it is not a penalty! 

By taking the attitude that this the challenge officiating is just part of the game, you become a big part of the problem. There are other answers to the problem, other than 5 hours of replay per game. The NHL game has evolved into a faster, less physical game, but when they condone Komarov's action, by not applying supplemental discipline, the league is hypocritical and turning a blind eye to, and creating a  bigger problem. There was another way for the league to address this situation through supplemental discipline, they just chose to not use it!

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Have you been to an NHL game lately? Seen how fast the game is?

Has nothing to do with it.

They have the ability to fix what the f**ked up.

So because they miss some calls they shouldn't try to make it right??

Are you saying they haven't ever went back and suspended anyone because they missed it??

Wrong!

That is a bullshit way of looking at it for real.

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

You have two choices here

Yeah a penalty...

[IMG]

...not a penalty...

[IMG]

...yeah so glad they have the players safety at mind.......

...and that Leaf fans want the to get it right!!! HAHA!

:bonkingheadonwall:

TO is looking slow and disorganized, SJ's d looked like it had 100s of shots tonite because they weren't being challenged so the swarm has returned to TO. TO's speed should be being used to hunt down the puck at all times.

Is Babs utilizing TO's talent improperly, overreacting to the many goals scored against and applying shackles to TO's speed?

Benching a player like Martin for a game sends a message, I guess, but benching players like Marleau, Marner and Bozak would carry far more weight.

Next game I'd like to see the lines experimented with.

Leivo/Matthews/Brown-Matthews is a highlight machine and it's a luxury to have him and Nylander together

JVR/Nylander/Kapanen-Nylander can move the puck and actually pass with a purpose, he wants to be the full meal deal, let him be

Hyman/Kadri/Leo-a defensive line with an opportunistic scorer 

Marleau/Moore/Marner-I think Moore has a better head for the game than Bozak, now, this could be an interesting line

I wonder if Bozak is injured, he's not providing value. Martin has little value even at his best. We've assumed TO has incredible forward depth but already it's looking like that depth is a mirage. 

What's up with Zaitsev, he started the year dynamic and now looks well invisible?

Why must Rielly rush the puck then pretty well always give it away?

Why Polak?

TO had 4 incredible rookies last year and 3 vets that had career years, all of those players need to duplicate or improve upon last  year for TO to be successful, is that possible?

On 10/29/2017 at 9:26 AM, Samifan said:

It was nice of the linesman to jump out of the way so Ghost could be boarded properly.......

Spilled my drink laughing...  ;)

Was it boarding? Sure. Did the refs miss the call? Sure. But as a Leafs fan, I've seen a number of times where it went the other way. It all evens out in the end.  :)

On 10/31/2017 at 2:32 AM, hobie said:

TO is looking slow and disorganized, SJ's d looked like it had 100s of shots tonite because they weren't being challenged so the swarm has returned to TO. TO's speed should be being used to hunt down the puck at all times.

I've been watching the Saturday games so I'll be watching tomorrow night again.  :)

They seem to have squandered their good start. I'm in favour of mixing things up too.

On 10/31/2017 at 2:32 AM, hobie said:

What's up with Zaitsev, he started the year dynamic and now looks well invisible?

Why must Rielly rush the puck then pretty well always give it away?

Why Polak?

I'm not a huge Zaitsev fan. Last season he was a defensive liability. He doesn't do enough offensively to excuse his poor defence.

The same can be said for Rielly. Rielly and Zaitsev are very similar defencemen. 

LOL @ Polak. Last season (according to the defensive error stats I tracked), Polak was the best Leafs defenceman at preventing goals. I know you question that stat but I think he's higher in the pecking order than you give him credit for. He was the guy that was tasked with shutting down Ovechkin in the playoffs. He was re-signed by the team because they wanted him back. To me that speaks volumes. :)

Archived