Ticky-Tack Penalties KILLING the Game

SpikeDDS

Watching last night’s game was PAINFUL! It was a veritable parade into and out of the penalty boxes.

And the calls! Both ways! Just AWFUL!

I hope and pray to the Lord above that the way that game was called is NOT how the league intends to have games called, because it was absolutely ridiculous! If it is how they are intending to have it called, they have just plain gone to far. They are neutering the game.

I get the slash on the hands rule. I agree. But to equate a tap on the thigh to a slash to the hands is just so ticky-tack and wrong. It hurts the game.

If THIS is how the NHL intends to increase goal scoring, they need to find a better way. And FAST!

2 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Watching last night’s game was PAINFUL! It was a veritable parade into and out of the penalty boxes.

And the calls! Both ways! Just AWFUL!

I hope and pray to the Lord above that the way that game was called is NOT how the league intends to have games called, because it was absolutely ridiculous! If it is how they are intending to have it called, they have just plain gone to far. They are neutering the game.

I get the slash on the hands rule. I agree. But to equate a tap on the thigh to a slash to the hands is just so ticky-tack and wrong. It hurts the game.

If THIS is how the NHL intends to increase goal scoring, they need to find a better way. And FAST!

AGREED! no flow to the game, simply awful. Glad we got the two points but wow was that unwatchable.

The penalty they called on Green in the second was ridiculous, he was all alone against a 3 on 1, beat the closest guy to the puck, took it behind the net and waited for reinforcements and after losing the puck tried to get his stick in to play the puck, he actually succeeded but was called for a slash when he barely if at all touched his opponent. It was actually a great defensive play, he held his own until his mates got back and was still fighting for the puck and then, that awful penalty.

Man am I glad we have Frk. THIS is why I was so made last year, the kid can flat out shoot, yes he has holes in his game, he is no burner, he has this choppy style where he looks almost like he is running on skates instead of gracefully skating but he has a wicked shot. Unlike Pulkinnen with his massive windup which is easily defended Frk can fire hard with minimum amount of windup. So glad we got him back when Carolina tried to waive him last year.

Ericsson looked awful last night, slow and at least three bad passes that led to quality scoring chances including the one that resulted in the Ottawa goal. We should have bought him out but overall the defense was quality yesterday.

As for the forwards, Larkin seems to be settling in nicely as the 2C, he looks like a different player this year.

Howard is the key to the team, as he goes so go the Wings.

two games in to the first ever undefeated season!

@yave1964 

I would correct that: Howard is the most important key, not the only key. He must be great, but we need Z to stay healthy and Larkin to continue to play how he has come out. Mantha needs to continue to be a force at the net.

Big E has become liabilit-E. He was slow of skate and, yes at fault for that goal. We HAD IT in regulation!

I understand about Frk. He has quite a shot. I think he can be taught the NHL game enough to make having that shot more beneficial than his liabilities might take away from his worth.

Having said that, I’m still steaming that AA is not on the ice and now off to Switzerland to explore his options. The Wings SAY they are making him a fair offer. They are only calling it fair because they can’t be honest about how poorly they have handled the resigning of existing players. To say he deserves more but are unable to offer it would confirm what we already know—they have blown it, and it may cost us our most exciting player this year.

Archived