Game 4 Flyers at Predators 10/10/17 8:00 pm

OccamsRazor

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Hakstol not know the consequences of an unsuccessful challenge?  Legit asking because I still don't know why you challenge in that situation.  

Were they mistakenly focused on Hartnell on the far boards?  That's who the Flyers' broadcast crew thought was offside.   The broadcast didn't seem to have any awareness that the guy in the middle stayed onside and therefore Hartnell's position was a non-issue.  Nashville crew had it right...

8 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

If I'm Hexy I'm going on a rampage and getting in peoples faces to find out how this was botched so bad.

This is the key. He won't do that but I hope he does something. 

He shoukd get in the refs and the league's faces. Borderline calls on stuff  that's been going both ways all game in the final 3 mins to give a losing team a 2 man advantage is crap.  It's awful.  Should t happen unles ou take a guy's head off.  

That said, Despite scoring and making a great play to set up Pat, Mac and Weise have been the team's weakest players so far.  Why they were out there makes no sense.   

And how exactly are youth and rookies supposed to LEARN from the "safe" vets if they make bone headed plays like this that literally lose you the game and erase everything they did right?  This right here obliterates the argument for playing the vets (specifically these two jack asses) over the rookies.   I will never be okay with it. Bring on Morin and Lindblom.  NOW. 

The coach needs to hear about that as well.  In private.  he can't make this kind enough f-head idiot rookie mistake any more.  This team can learn valuable lessons from these games but not if they know they can't trust their coach.  This is just a useless loss if the coach can't get smarter from it but after three years, there's no excuse for this kind of crap from him. 

On Elliott... he's on notice too.  Every damn player on the roster tonight needs to know that he is on notice.  

If I'm the GM, I'm sending down Mac and Weise tonight and bringing up Lyon and putting Elliott in the press. I'd for the home opener.  A message needs to be sent. 

After that hat he can drop Lyon back and bring up Lindblom and have Weise work on his discipline. 

Or better yet trade him for scraps. It's like in Moneyball... Hak, you can't play Weise tonight.  He plays for Tampa now.  

Finally we have the rookies for whom this must somehow be turned into a valuable learning experience.  

The league will screw you over.  

Your goalie will screw you over.  

Your coach will screw you over. 

The only thing you can control is your own ability not to make stupid mistakes.  

This lesson son has to be on Giroux and Simmonds to convey because the coach has lost his authority to say anything and the Alternate captain has lost his authority to say anything. 

When your leadership ship screws up this badly, someone has to take them to account for it.  How the hell can anyone trust their coach at this point? 

His systems ARE working.  I'll give him that.  His "coaching" and gamesmanship are utterly terrible. 

I'd say he's getting schooled but that would imply some sort of learning going on.  

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Only thing he battled last night was the puck. Sit his ass.

And Giroux i don't know what you do about him...

:bonkingheadonwall:

Bench him. Let him watch from the rafters.   They did it to Ghost and TK last year and neither was that bad.   

Another thing that i haven't seen mentioned (with all the other stuff going on) is the Flyers got owned in the faceoffs.

Preds won 61% of them.

Unacceptable.

Not to mention they were missing their Captain and best defenseman....

...i hope this stings till they play the Caps....it should.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Only thing he battled last night was the puck. Sit his ass.

And Giroux i don't know what you do about him...

:bonkingheadonwall:

Neuvirth will be announced as the starter for the home opener, but will injure himself that morning putting on socks.  

29 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If I'm the GM, I'm sending down Mac and Weise tonight and bringing up Lyon and putting Elliott in the press. I'd for the home opener.  A message needs to be sent. 

I'm usually all for ripping MacD and Weise, but both played relatively well last night.  And MacD has not been bad this season.  The penalty was unfortunate.  Patrick and Konecny are playing well with Weise.  Yeah, Weise tackled the guy and I think it was a fair call against Weise - BUT, where was the call on the Preds for interference?  Both should have been called.  

Giroux and Voracek need a talking to and the ones Hakstol should be holding accountable.  

Elliott should be on the bench for the home opener, but you know Hakstol will run him out there anyway.  

You can't make that challenge unless it is really blatant. Tied against a non-conference opponent, at the end of a long road trip. Leave it and go 4 on 5 for 45 more seconds and play for OT. 

2 hours ago, vis said:

Did Hakstol not know the consequences of an unsuccessful challenge?  Legit asking because I still don't know why you challenge in that situation.  

Were they mistakenly focused on Hartnell on the far boards?  That's who the Flyers' broadcast crew thought was offside.   The broadcast didn't seem to have any awareness that the guy in the middle stayed onside and therefore Hartnell's position was a non-issue.  Nashville crew had it right...

He thinks Couturier is a number one center, so I'm gonna go with no.

2 hours ago, vis said:

I'm usually all for ripping MacD and Weise, but both played relatively well last night.  And MacD has not been bad this season.  The penalty was unfortunate.  Patrick and Konecny are playing well with Weise.  Yeah, Weise tackled the guy and I think it was a fair call against Weise - BUT, where was the call on the Preds for interference?  Both should have been called.  

Giroux and Voracek need a talking to and the ones Hakstol should be holding accountable.  

Elliott should be on the bench for the home opener, but you know Hakstol will run him out there anyway.  

I've been defending MacDonald for three years plus at this point.  I've been saying through all the games that he's been strong.  

he had a helluva shot to score that goal.  he's played well and made it impossible for me to be furious that he's in the lineup over Morin right now.

But no matter how much we compliment him, and no matter how many decent plays he makes, last night just proves that he doesn't belong on the top pairing with Provorov because they NEED provorov out there in the last minutes of a one goal game, but they literally can't afford to put MacDonald out there in the last minutes of a one goal game.  

Weise really upped his game early.  He had a helluva a game and the set up for Patrick was all hard work and determination on his part.

That said, why the hell of all people was Weise out there in the waning minutes of a close game?  

I know Giroux and Voracek played a soft first and third period, but Couturier has to be able to be out there in these situations BEFORE it's a 2 man disadvantage.   This is what the new and improved 4th line is for.  Filppula and Simmonds are strong defensively as well.  

I just don't trust Hakstol any more with these sorts of decisions.  I do think his systems work have shown us a lot.  I like that.  It's the in game coaching and the game time decisions that are just proving to be atrocious time and again and I'm not sure what to do about it.  

36 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

He thinks Couturier is a number one center, so I'm gonna go with no.

I don't know if you've been watching, but Couturier's been fantastic through the first few games.  He's been a really good 1C for those two.  This littel experiment worked.  What I can't figure out is why the hell he's insisting on keeping Jake and G together as they've only seemed to drag each other down the past few seasons and neither one is a goal scorer meaning the first line has 3 puck moving play driving passers and no finishers.  Not brilliant.  

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You can't make that challenge unless it is really blatant. Tied against a non-conference opponent, at the end of a long road trip. Leave it and go 4 on 5 for 45 more seconds and play for OT. 

I think he must have forgotten about the challenge too.  There's no other explanation.  You can't risk going down a man in a game that was just tied in the last three minues.  Hakstol just cost the team at least a point.  Maybe two.  Idiot.

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

I think he must have forgotten about the challenge too.  There's no other explanation.  You can't risk going down a man in a game that was just tied in the last three minues.  Hakstol just cost the team at least a point.  Maybe two.  Idiot.

He is a total idiot.   But, how that the replay coach not know?   Nobody on that bench or upstairs knew it would be a penalty?    WTF is then going on w/ this crew?   

Total joke...   that game was all on Hak.   But Hexy loves him so we are stuck.   I honestly have no faith in this guy running the show.   Berube is starting to seem like the better of the two for f's sake.

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don't know if you've been watching, but Couturier's been fantastic through the first few games.  He's been a really good 1C for those two.  This littel experiment worked.  What I can't figure out is why the hell he's insisting on keeping Jake and G together as they've only seemed to drag each other down the past few seasons and neither one is a goal scorer meaning the first line has 3 puck moving play driving passers and no finishers.  Not brilliant.  

It's game 4, bro. And you just got done telling me that two thirds of that line  is not playing well.

40 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

It's 2017, you're not allowed to yell at the players anymore.

I don't know why people say things like this.  It's silly.  Of course you can yell at players.  The question is whether it's effective or not or if it's Hextall's style or not.  

Personally I don't think it would do any good unless the coach is there in the room getting yelled at too.

Hextall can't go tell his guys to do better when their coach screwed up worse than any of them.  What's he going to say?  If the coach is an idiot, they could all have done their jobs perfectly and it wouldn't friggin' matter.  

Hakstol crapped the bed on this one.  The refs were out and out A** ****** but at the same time Weise and MacDonald had to make questionable borderline plays because they're just not that good and had no business being out there in key situations.  

This is where the "But but Giroux and Jake were soft and had bad games!" complaints come in.  Fair.  That's fair.  that's not what lost them this game.  

They were soft at the end, but the team should never have been in that position. 

I don't want to lose sight of the fact that this was almost an amazing game by this team...  but the problem is all the biggest problems with what happened go back to the coach and his ridiculous decisions IN GAME that are just the kind of thing that diffuse a team's ability to trust him and listen to him.  Even after the game, he said it was on him, but he'd do it again and it was the right call.  WTF?????? 

Be a man Hakstol!  Tell us you screwed the hell up and you know.  Otherwise you're an idiot who's going to make the same mistakes again!

7 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

It's game 4, bro. And you just got done telling me that two thirds of that line  is not playing well.

They had a couple of weak stretches last night.  I think they've been playing well so far this season.  

9 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Total joke...   that game was all on Hak.   But Hexy loves him so we are stuck.   I honestly have no faith in this guy running the show.   Berube is starting to seem like the better of the two for f's sake.

No.  Not at all.  Not in a million years.  Hakstol at least knows systems and how to drive play.  The team is skating well and until this game was playing defense well (though it's hard to play defense when you're down 2 men).  

Hakstol is a good xs and O's guy.  I've believed this for a while.  I question the decision to give up offense in favor of protecting goals last year, but I accept that it was a conscious decision and I can only hope they don't go back to it again this year after this fiasco.  

If Neuwirth and Elliott decide to stink as bad as Neuwirth and Mason did last year, that's on them.  Screw them and bring up Lyon until Hart and Sandstrom are ready.  The Flyers fan base has no more time for goaltending incompetence.  

Hakstol has NO game sense.  he has no feel for the pro game.  From repeatedly playing Mason against teams he has NEVER BEATEN IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER.  To insisting that VDV gets 12 minutes in 81 games.  TO not knowing when the hell to call a timeout (when a 2 goal lead is suddenly a tie game is a good one) to not knowing how to challenge a goal, to putting BAD, flat footed players on the ice AT ALL when you don't have to, LET ALONE late in a suddenly one goal game.    He's got no FEEL for the game.  But his systems are looking pretty damn good at the moment.

Laviolette on the other hand is almost ALL feel.  That guy thrives on crap like last night.  He did it for us all the way to the finals.  His systems aren't the best, but they're decent and when you have the talent on D he has, the system sort of takes care of itself.

Hakstol's learning curve for this sort of crap is just too damn slow.  It's year three.  He's got the team playing good hockey with everything he's doing before and after the game... but during the game, he's just bad at coaching.   

If they could have him be the overall strategy and systems coach and have someone else actually running the bench, then they might have something. 

Archived