Game 3: Flyers @ Predators (10-10-17 - 8e/7c)

Honest Bender

After losing the first two games on the road, the Predators will hope to press the rest button on the season and get things on the right track at home. They will raise their conference champions banner tonight. 

Predators Lines from practice (will adjust at puck drop)

Forsberg - Jarnkrok - Fiala

Arvidsson - Johansen - Smith

Hartnell - Bonino - Aberg

Salomaki - Watson - McLeod

Josi - Irwin

Ekholm - Subban

Bitetto - Weber

Rinne (probable)

Flyers lines from practice

Claude Giroux - Sean Couturier - Jakub Voracek

Jordan Weal - Valterri Filppula - Wayne Simmonds

Dale Weise - Nolan Patrick - Travis Konecny

Taylor Leier - Scott Laughton - Michael Raffl

Ivan Provorov - Andrew MacDonald

Shayne Gostisbehere - Robert Hagg

Travis Sanheim - Radko Gudas

Brian Elliott (probable)

cut.jpg

They've actually been pretty decent. Hartnell is skating better than I anticipated and has been a net front presence on the PP. 

Bonino is still easing in after having no training camp with and team, but he hasn't been bad so that's a positive. 

Word now is that Josi and Sissons are game-time decisions. Likely out for tonight IMO since they haven't practiced since Saturday. As if the team wasn't struggling enough already...

On the whole Morin thing, I think what we're seeing is Sanheim's audition. I think they wanted to see if he was ready for the NHL game. If the answer looks like No,  expect Morin to get the same chance; they will keep the one that is ready.

Hagg is older, safer and I think they know exactly what they have in him

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Well there's the guaranteed ex-flyer scoring against the Flyers! Hartnell will probably have a multi point night!

He did.

And the refs in the bag too don't hurt...got to help em out for rhe home opener!

WOW! 

I was under the weather last night and didn't post through the game, but that was certainly interesting. Not exactly how either team would want the game to go, but the good guys came out on top in the end. 

Hartnell-Bonino-Aberg line was really good. As crazy as it is to say, Hartnell has probably been our most consistently high performing forward through three games. Hopefully this line stays together for a bit and can be counted on as a legit option alongside Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson. 

Samuel Girard was as advertised in his debut. Probably not ready for a full-time spot just yet, but he's right on the edge. I wish he were eligible for the AHL so that he could work on his pro game. It's silly to think that with the top-4 that the Predators have that defense could be an issue, but our 5-7 guys are so bad (Emelin, Irwin, Weber, Bitetto) that if we can get players like Girard, Carrier, Fabbro, Farrance to come along sooner rather than later it will really help. 

I knew as soon as the Flyers challenged the tying goal that the Preds would win. You guys can talk about the refs helping the Preds all you want but it was inconsistent both ways all night. That's basically the NHL in a nutshell for the last decade so I have pretty much stopped complaining about officiating because there are always calls on either side that can be pointed to and it mostly averages out over a game and season even if in the moment the ones that hurt your team stand out. 

Hopefully the Preds build off of that emotional win, but obviously there is a lot to work on still when you give up five unanswered goals the way they did. 

24 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

knew as soon as the Flyers challenged the tying goal that the Preds would win. You guys can talk about the refs helping the Preds all you want but it was inconsistent both ways all night. That's basically the NHL in a nutshell for the last decade so I have pretty much stopped complaining about officiating because there are always calls on either side that can be pointed to and it mostly averages out over a game and season even if in the moment the ones that hurt your team stand out.

agree completely.

this loss was ALL ON HAKSTOL.   We can bitch about the refs and the goalie all we want but this loss is 100% on the coach.

8 hours ago, murraycraven said:

agree completely.

this loss was ALL ON HAKSTOL.   We can bitch about the refs and the goalie all we want but this loss is 100% on the coach.

As ticked off at Hakstol as anyone and he did screw the team at the end. 

But they're not even in that position if Elliott could stop a puck. 

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

again, Hak was the reason he was in net b/c "he battled hard" in his first 2 games.  Meanwhile Neuvy played a great game in his start.   Hakstol needs to learn how to handle goalies and learn the actual rule-book.  IMO, he lost the game...  Elliot was battling the puck all night and should have been yanked after the 3rd goal - again, Hak.  

9 hours ago, Honest Bender said:

but the good guys came out on top in the end. 

With help from the refs no less.

And Hak dumb ass challenge.

But hey it will even out i guess.

And i'm not saying it was all on the refs.

Elliot was free at any time to resemble a solid goaltender...and he failed miserably.

But hey you guys got the win for the home opener.

9 hours ago, Honest Bender said:

You guys can talk about the refs helping the Preds all you want but it was inconsistent both ways all night.

Sure but to swallow the whistle to bring it back out for the call on Wiese and not send both to the box overlooking the interference was total BS.

And then the Mcdud call...total BS to take the win from Philly.

A travesty.

You don't have to agree in fact you won so i wouldn't expect you to.

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So true even with the bulls!t calls he had several chances to save his team and caved.

The perfect storm.

I just hope this have a positive effect on them going forward.

Without the calls Rinne would have been the goat...but he was barely better than Elliot.

It is what it is.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So true even with the bulls!t calls he had several chances to save his team and caved.

The perfect storm.

I just hope this have a positive effect on them going forward.

Without the calls Rinne would have been the goat...but he was barely better than Elliot.

It is what it is.

Elliott isn't an upgrade over Mason by any stretch, and might even be a downgrade, but this loss was squarely on Hak's shoulders. That challenge completely killed the team's momentum and in that building versus that team, Hak's decision loomed Large. What I hope is it's a learning experience FOR THE HEAD COACH.

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Elliott isn't an upgrade over Mason by any stretch, and might even be a downgrade, but this loss was squarely on Hak's shoulders. That challenge completely killed the team's momentum and in that building versus that team, Hak's decision loomed Large. What I hope is it's a learning experience FOR THE HEAD COACH.

The worst part of that challenge was that it really wasn't even close.   I mean, they showed him looking at it prior to the challenge.  If it's even close and failure will cause a penalty to make you go down two against a team that has just roared back to tie with around a minute to go?   You eat your challenge.

As for the refs, I don't think it was a horribly officiated game.   The calls at the end sucked, but that's from Flyer fan point of view.   Watching live I really initially thought the call was going the other way or maybe they'd take two.   And while the MacDonald call sucked because they were already taking one, it really was a penalty.  It was of the weak variety, and I'd argue you don't call the second there.  Yet, it was a penalty.

So, blame Hakstol for having Elliott in net to begin with.   And blame him for the idiotic challenge.  I don't really blame him for  MacDonald's being on the ice because he's the first pairing.  Assuming Provorov, any other pairing would either include a rookie, Gudas (who fought the play all night) or Ghost (who I don't want out there in that situation either).   So, I get that.   I don't like Weiss out there, though.  I get that he was rolling lines, and it was that line's turn, but maybe you don't roll in that situation. 

Three strikes, Hak.  Get out.

37 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Sure Hak is to blame. It's shared.

Elliot gave up 6 goals no way you can not include him in the blame.

He makes some key saves they don't even get to the point of where he even has to challenge.

But he failed to do that. The loss of at least a point with the challenge sure is on Hak.

He should not have challenge that plain and simple.

If it had been the GWer then by all means challenge it.

But you don't risk it challenging for no other reason to play for the point in regulation.

And he f**ked up on that one.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And he f**ked up on that one.

Yeah. And it was mind numbing. 

I really wonder that he didn't know or didn't remember the rule. Probably thought it was close enough and he'd use the time they were deciding to calm his troops. 

Either way, he's an idiot. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah. And it was mind numbing. 

I really wonder that he didn't know or didn't remember the rule. Probably thought it was close enough and he'd use the time they were deciding to calm his troops. 

Either way, he's an idiot. 

Only thing i can say is maybe he didn't get a good look at it and thoughthe saw it come out the zone...it's all i got.

But regardless you have to be 100% sure there or move on and play for the point.

5 points coming out of that hellafied west coast trip would of been outstanding.

And don't get me wrong 4 points is damn good too.

But how they lost sticks in my crawl...

Archived