Random assessments and we will need another scorer

RonJeremy

Let’s face it , Coots is not a first line center, Chilupa is certainly no second line center, Weal is not a top 6 player , Konecny belongs on the first or second line, Weise is a total stiff and McDonald is horrible. Hakstol is a tool for not playing Morin who was the most impressive of the 3 kids. In the end , we do not have enough offense and I’ll bet that one or two of our fourth liners will be on the second line within a month. We just do t have enough scoring.

Just now, RonJeremy said:

Oh yeah, and we have no pure finishers

Well i suggested call up natural LW Danick Martel to see if he can help.

All he has done is score 4 goals in 2 AHL but i guess it's not enough for Hak....he must walk on water before getting a cup of cofee...never seen a damn club so f**king afraid of looking right under their goddamn noses like the Flyers.

It's aggrivating as hell.

No let's keep doing the same thing maybe we'll get different results schitt!

:rage:

@RonJeremy

That is what it is going to look like until more of the younglings are ready and come up to the big club. We def need more scorers but for now we half to sit and wait, it is not wise to make a trade and risk youth for the present, we have done that for years and years and it has gotten us nothing, we half to have patience....

Lets face it to trade guys like Coots and Fill to get scorers in return we would half to throw in picks and prospects and I for one are not willing to see that happen AGAIN.

P.S. Like OccamsRazor said above me, I would also like to see Martel given a chance to see what he can do up with the big club.

1 minute ago, Philly29 said:

That is what it is going to look like until more of the younglings are ready and come up to the big club. We def need more scorers but for now we half to sit and wait, it is not wise to make a trade and risk youth for the present, we have done that for years and years and it has gotten us nothing, we half to have patience....

You don't have to risk youth and make a damn trade...that is my point!!!

Martel is just sitting there in the AHL waiting patiently....call him up...if he shows he can't help or isn't ready send him back down...he is waiver exmpt!!!

He is right under their nose all you have to do is throw the kid a damn bone and see what happens...

...you don't know till you try. All you have to is waive some turd like Weise ain't no nobody going to claim him....nothing ventured nothing gained.

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Martel is just sitting there in the AHL waiting patiently....call him up...if he shows he can't help or isn't ready send him back down...he is waiver exmpt!!!

He is right under their nose all you have to do is throw the kid a damn bone and see what happens...

...you don't know till you try. All you have to is waive some turd like Weise ain't no nobody going to claim him....nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ughhh.....I am in agreement with you........

38 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Ughhh.....I am in agreement with you........

And i'm NOT saying it would solve all their probelms i just saying effin look for god shake who knows...they need some speed and they need a guy who can lught the lamp....i think they can get both if they look at Martel....just try!

15 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Let’s face it , Coots is not a first line center, Chilupa is certainly no second line center, Weal is not a top 6 player , Konecny belongs on the first or second line, Weise is a total stiff and McDonald is horrible. Hakstol is a tool for not playing Morin who was the most impressive of the 3 kids. In the end , we do not have enough offense and I’ll bet that one or two of our fourth liners will be on the second line within a month. We just do t have enough scoring.

I agree with what you say about Weise (although he made a monster play to set up Patrick's first goal) and Morin. 

I disagree with literally everything else in your post.  

They scored 5 goals last night.  Scoring wasn't the problem.  At all. 

They're actually 4th in the league for Goals scored despite being shut out in one game.  Scoring goals was only the problem against the Kings.  Their scoring is actually pretty impressive.

Couturier was literally on the ice for EVERY even strength goal and 2 PP goals until last night's game.

Filppula scored twice last night.  On the second line and the PP.  Seems to be exactly what a 2nd line center should be.

Putting Patrick on the 3rd line with Konecney got them both their first goals of the season.  The biggest problem with them being on the third line is that they had no business being on the ice at the end of a tight hard fought game when the team was already winning.  The third line isnt' the problem.  Dale Weise and Hakstol's usage of that third line was the problem last night.

This team had a bad 20 minutes, an out and out fantastic 37 minutes and an unimaginably horrifying catastrophe in the last three minutes.  

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Even if someone does take Weise (and they won't because he's under contract for 3 more damn years) but even if they did and you lose a veteran and you realize Oh crap, we need a veteran on the wing... YOU STILL HAVE LEHTERA AND READ!

14 hours ago, Philly29 said:
13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And i'm NOT saying it would solve all their probelms i just saying effin look for god shake who knows...they need some speed and they need a guy who can lught the lamp....i think they can get both if they look at Martel....just try!

So let me ask, because I'm really curious.  Why is it exactly that you think they need a guy who can light the lamp?  

Where was the shortcoming in scoring other than the Kings game? - which I think had way more to do with a tired team playing back to backs against a much larger and fresher team in a disadvantaged time zone.

Aside from the Kings game, where exactly has the shortfall on offense been?  You can't look at last night and think that a LACK of goal scoring had anything to do with that loss... you really can't, can you?  

Frankly after last night, the last thing on earth I want to see on the ice is a green player who is potentially irresponsible and unseasoned and who could get caught out of position or taking a terrible penalty.  

You know what a bigger need is? A guy who can STOP the puck from going into the net. I doubt I'm the only one underwhelmed by Elliott. Another year, another stiff in net. They'd better hope one of the guys in the system is ready to step forward this year. BTW, Elliott is more than available in the All-Star League for whoever wants him. They should be able to put the puck in the net more than last year, just based on the talent (albeit raw talent) that they have at forward.

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Why is it exactly that you think they need a guy who can light the lamp? 

You also need more scoring....you always need more guys who will help you keep the puck han give it up. And they have one natural LW on the roster and he plays on the 4th line.

And i'm not talking about last night even.

They got shutout in LA. You need more goals. They have scored 13 goals. Simmer has almost 25% of those two are from from Dmen.

Val scored his 2 on the PP.

Weal scored his on the PP.

So yeah take away the special teams. And the forwards have scored a whooping 4 even strength goals.

So yeah i think they need more goals. But no worries it will never happen....it makes to much sense.

But at the same time they have given up 13 goals....so they need a goalie to step up too.

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I doubt I'm the only one underwhelmed by Elliott

I was trying to be positive with the acquisition of Eliot but damn....after last night's piss poor performance....it looks like more of Mason in net....they need some big stops from the goalie to give them confidence and a momentum swing and he sh!ts the bed...

...so yeah i go with Neuvy till he breaks!

Elliot had several chances to bail his team out but to me this would of been the best time and could have saved a lot if he didn't give up this weak goal to start the collapse....to make it 5-4 before the two sh!tty penalties were handed out.

giphy.gif

....he goes down so early and give his the whole top of the net...this is a routine save they needed from a difference maker he was suppose to be...but this was a Masonesque back breaker!!!

@Ocams, needing a real goalie is a given, I was not expecting much from Elliot or Neuvirth. After all their years in the league they are not going to

suddenly turn into great goalies, they are average at best. into All I hoped they would just be solid and not give up too many bad goals until Hart or Lyon are ready. So it would seem we have one or two more seasons of suspect goaltending and weak offense until our top offensive prospects are ready and our potential franchise goalies are also ready. Of course by then Hakstol will be fired and Giroux and Voracek will be 9 million dollar anchors and of course Simmonds who is better than both will also be looking for 9 million.

If the Flyers were coached by someone with half a brain and not a half wit, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

The issue that I see is that at even strength, they're a mess. I also see defensive assignments is a big issue and the defensemen themselves seem lost with what's being asked of them. 

That's not a personnel issue, that's a coaching issue and that's where all the problems are stemming from. The fact that Haktool never deviates from his 'system' (which is basically throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks) and continually assigns the same players roles that they clearly have No business paying. On top of it, his flat out refusal to trust young guys in prominent roles is infuriating.

If the Flyers would have brought in a guy like Todd MacLellan to begin with, we wouldn't be in this situation. Coaching is the biggest problem in Philadelphia and everything else is a symptom of bad coaching.

Are we seriously complaining about the offense?  4 games in, 2-2 record on a VERY tough road trip to start the season and have 13 goals.  There are a lot of new pieces on this team and the fact we came out of that road trip 2-2 (a very close 3-1), I am ecstatic. 

In regards to Martel and his 4 goals in 2gp.  That doesn't mean he is ready for the NHL, it is such a small sample size it really does not mean squat to me at this point.  I am not familiar with his game but is he defensively responsible enough to play in the NHL?  Fast enough? Strong enough?  Scoring 4 goals in 2 games at the AHL is a nice way for him to start the year but I highly doubt that type of success translates to the NHL.  The roster we have now is fine for this year, despite maybe the goaltending as usual, but we already have a lot of youth infused into this lineup.  You  need to have a mix of veterans in there to keep everyone's heads on right and steer the kids in the right direction both on and off the ice and I doubt Martel gets us 2 goals in LA or prevents a breakdown in Nashville.   

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You also need more scoring....you always need more guys who will help you keep the puck han give it up. And they have one natural LW on the roster and he plays on the 4th line.

And i'm not talking about last night even.

They got shutout in LA. You need more goals. They have scored 13 goals. Simmer has almost 25% of those two are from from Dmen.

Val scored his 2 on the PP.

Weal scored his on the PP.

So yeah take away the special teams. And the forwards have scored a whooping 4 even strength goals.

So yeah i think they need more goals. But no worries it will never happen....it makes to much sense.

But at the same time they have given up 13 goals....so they need a goalie to step up too.

I hear you completely and this is what I was preaching last year and all off season, but everything I've seen so far gives me a lot of hope that things are actually getting better.  We'll see how it irons out, but so far they're doing better in the overall goals for to goals against differential.  

AND you're totally right IMHO. At first glance, they're not scoring even strength goals as much as I'd like to see, but there's a specific reason for this and that's because they're nearly getting twice as many power play opportunities per game so far this year as they were last year mostly because of the new slashing rule.  THey're also getting 1.25 more PP opportunities against per game for probably the same reason.   Simply put, the special teams are literally on the ice too much of the game for them to be scoring a ton of Even Strength goals right now.  

That's crazy and I just noticed it now.  No one else is talking about it.  

It's too small a sample at 4 games, and the league will eventually even things out and just stop slashing as much which will lead to fewer power plays, but likely lead to more even strength goals (the kind that slashing helps shut down).  

As far as the 13 goals against, I'll also point to the fact that (in addition to the shortie they gave up in Anaheim) their PK is atrocious right now.  They're more than 16% points below the league average and they're almost 10% worse than last year so far.

Their goaltending needs to get better, but the PK needs to get much much better to be among the league's AVERAGE PKs. 

It's not a total catastrophe because the sample size is so damn small that it's hard to generalize yet. 

For instance, the end of the Nashville game literally changed their PK% from 79% (on par with last year) to 70%

18 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If the Flyers were coached by someone with half a brain and not a half wit, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

The issue that I see is that at even strength, they're a mess. I also see defensive assignments is a big issue and the defensemen themselves seem lost with what's being asked of them. 

That's not a personnel issue, that's a coaching issue and that's where all the problems are stemming from. The fact that Haktool never deviates from his 'system' (which is basically throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks) and continually assigns the same players roles that they clearly have No business paying. On top of it, his flat out refusal to trust young guys in prominent roles is infuriating.

If the Flyers would have brought in a guy like Todd MacLellan to begin with, we wouldn't be in this situation. Coaching is the biggest problem in Philadelphia and everything else is a symptom of bad coaching.

Before you get too down on them at even strength, keep in mind that they've actually been at even strength significantly less so far this year.  

So far, the Flyers have had a ton more power plays and a few more penalty kills per game than the average for last season.  This is mostly due to the slashing rules most likely and may be a league wide trend.  I don't have that information.  

What I can say is that at least they're utilizing the PP time effectively as they're scoring 5% more efficiently on the PP so far this year.

And I say this as the guy who was harping on the Even Strength sucking so bad last year.  So far this year, there are just a lot of penalties that could be throwing all that off.  

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

AND you're totally right IMHO.

It's is no different than last year when Neuvy was hurt and Mason had to play all those games around Christmas.....why??

Why have a guy right under your nose in Stolie.....even call him up yet not even play him more to see if he can help SEE literally where he is at and SEE IF HE CAN HELP????  

Don't guess....don't ask a scout or a damn coach....but do one thing play him.

Especially when Mason hurt his hand and looked as if he could use a rest.

But no it made to much sense.

And they missed the playoffs.

Sure i guess now in hindsight of course it worked for the best because they have Patrick to show for it.

Regardless it is still unacceptable.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's is no different than last year when Neuvy was hurt and Mason had to play all those games around Christmas.....why??

Sure i guess now in hindsight of course it worked for the best because they have Patrick to show for it.

Regardless it is still unacceptable.

Don't even get me started on him starting Mason last year.  Stolarz DID WELL and he refused even when it made more than the most sense.  Even when it seemed necessary... and then Mason gets a bad rep because he doesn't keep his mouth shut about it in the locker room?  Come on.  

This year the prep time is over.  They got Nolan.  They'll never come that close to winning the lottery again.  It's really high damn time to start putting the team of the future on the ice and letting them learn how to win at the game of hockey. 

I really do trust Hakstol as a systems and strategy guy.  In the locker room an the film room and in practice, I actually trust him.  The minute an actual game puck drops, the man cannot be trusted as a coach in this league.  

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The minute an actual game puck drops, the man cannot be trusted as a coach in this league. 

That is a little harsh. I understand everyone being mad....but he is still wet behind the ears. There will still be mistakes along the way.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is a little harsh. I understand everyone being mad....but he is still wet behind the ears. There will still be mistakes along the way.

It's his third year.  

Morin, Hagg, Sanheim, Provo, Konecney, Weal and Lindblom would all like to know how long their COACH needs to be NHL ready.  

How many leads did they blow last year?  How many timeouts did he call when they started blowing said leads?  How many games did he make boneheaded calls about the Goalie?    

Is anyone even talking to him about this stuff?  Does Hextall have ANYONE to sit Hak down and say, "Look... here's what a Timeout is for Dave..."  

I'm not saying I want him fired, because I really do like the systems work he's done and the way they look and the way that looks like it'll get better with time.

What I would like is for him to have a savvy assistant who he will actually listen to.  Knoblach's supposed to be great, but he's green to the NHL too.  I want something like when they gave Stevens Murray.  It made their PK unbelievably good, but it also gave Stevens a veteran voice in his ear.  

Hak can either be the head coach or the head strategist, but he needs a bench coach like no one's business.  

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Morin, Hagg, Sanheim, Provo, Konecney, Weal and Lindblom would all like to know how long their COACH needs to be NHL ready. 

Sadly there is no set number. Each coach like a player is different.

Learning on the job.

The strange part is Hexy has shown faith in an inexperienced coach...

...yet the coach shows very little faith in his inexperienced players. Oh the irony.

Archived