Morin sent to Phantoms

brelic

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/otf-flyers-loan-d-samuel-morin-to-phantoms--philadelphia-flyers/c-291818516

Discuss at length lol.

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they have loaned defenseman Samuel Morin to their AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

The move brings the Flyers to seven defensemen as they prepare to take on the Washington Capitals for their home opener after going 2-2-0 on their season-opening, nine-day road trip.

Morin was on the club's season-opening roster, but did not play in the first four games of the regular season. He appeared in five out of a possible seven preseason games for the Flyers where he recorded a goal and an assist on four shots.

In two seasons with the Phantoms since turning professional, Morin has recorded 35 points (7g-28a) and 247 penalty minutes in 150 games. He has only missed two games in his AHL career, appearing in 150 of possible 152 regular season games and dressing in all five Calder Cup Playoff games for Lehigh Valley.

The Flyers resume practice at their training facility, the Virtua Center Flyers Skatezone in Voorhees, NJ at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday.

hopefully it won't be long until Sam is back up.   Tough position for the kid but he seems to have his head on straight.   I think this really is just about him needing to play the left side defense.  Still excited to see him get his chance when he gets back to the NHL.

Just now, murraycraven said:

I think this really is just about him needing to play the right side defense.  

Morin plays the left side, no?  

Are you saying he needs to start playing the right side?  If so, why?  Team has enough RD at the moment.

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Morin plays the left side, no?  

Are you saying he needs to start playing the right side?  If so, why?  Team has enough RD at the moment.

i corrected it.   I meant he is out of the NHL b/c he can only play the Left side... misspoke.

Just now, murraycraven said:

i corrected it.   I meant he is out of the NHL b/c he can only play the Left side... misspoke.

Gotcha.  I mentioned elsewhere that I didn't think that should be a major impediment to him playing.  He could play LD with Ghost as his partner.  Of course, that would leave out Hagg.

He's caught in a numbers game and I guess they like Hagg's "safe" game ahead of Morin's toughness.

2 minutes ago, vis said:

He's caught in a numbers game and I guess they like Hagg's "safe" game ahead of Morin's toughness.

This about sums it up... it stinks for the kid but I think it won't be long until he is back up.  Injuries are inevitable and when he gets his chance he needs to make hard for Hextall to send him back down.   I still think he deserves to be on the team based on his outstanding camp and preseason but, as you say, it really is a numbers game right now.   

41 minutes ago, vis said:

Gotcha.  I mentioned elsewhere that I didn't think that should be a major impediment to him playing.  He could play LD with Ghost as his partner.  Of course, that would leave out Hagg.

Yeah...as much as I like Morin's game more, I think they're afraid of Morin's toughness leading to aggressiveness, and resulting in dumb penalties. We just saw one example last night of what happens when penalties completely alter the outcome of a game that should have been a win.

This is about style of play.   The thing is, he doesn't match well with the partners available.   Like Gudas, in particular.    Hagg matched with Ghost, and Morin may have as well.  That position went to Hagg.    You don't want Morin with Gudas.  You want a skater.  That's Sanheim.  And Gudas and Morin in the lineup are a little redundant in general.

So, you could move Morin up when they either get rid of MacDonald OR they move Gudas at the deadline.   I'm not advocating trading Gudas, but he's moveable and you'd get something.    Plus, the guy wears a target on his back from the refs.

To @FD19372, I don't think Morin necessarily would end up with that like Gudas.  At least not right out of the gate.   He can hit and he can fight, but I didn't see him going out of his way to get the big hit.   I didn't see the low hip check that Gudas likes.  I think the hip check gets him in trouble sometimes.

I like Sanheim.  I hope he does well.  I really wanted Morin only because based on play I really thought he earned it.  So, I do think it's a type of play/position thing at the moment.

Morin just needs a Mark Streit like injury to get him his break one similar to the one who freed Ghost....i'm not wishing anything on the players but once he gets the call up i hope he carves out a spot and forces them to waive either of Manning or Mcdud....i'd prefer Manning as the 7th...

I'm not angry that Morin was sent down. I think that Hagg was the most steady of the 3 rookies and earned one spot. That left Sanheim & Morin to battle for the last one, and obviously Sanheim won it. If Morin isn't playing here, he should be in Allentown.

That said, I think Morin deserved a NHL slot. I get that the make up of the D corps makes him harder to fit in, but I think he's one of their best 6 D.

So, while I'm not angry over Morin going down, I can't say I'm happy about it, either.

If you can't find a fit for Morin, you make a fit for him. Hextall and Hakstol failed him, BIG TIME. I hope Morin goes down, crushes a bunch of people and really gets that mean streak on display. Let him play the power play and penalty kill and let him use that howitzer if a shot he has. I still can't believe they can't find a place for Morin in the lineup, but that worthless piece of dog excrement MacDonald gets to pairing minutes. Ship MacD to Siberia, move Hagg to the right side of Provorov, use Gudas with Sanheim and play Morin and Ghost together. Why is that so effing difficult for this club?

5 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Yeah...as much as I like Morin's game more, I think they're afraid of Morin's toughness leading to aggressiveness, and resulting in dumb penalties.

Yep.  Not a fan of that philosophy, but that's the way things are nowadays.

5 hours ago, FD19372 said:

We just saw one example last night of what happens when penalties completely alter the outcome of a game that should have been a win.

Or it was an example of a coach making a stupid decision.  

Maybe we can send Hakstol to Lehigh Valley.

22 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If you can't find a fit for Morin, you make a fit for him. Hextall and Hakstol failed him, BIG TIME. I hope Morin goes down, crushes a bunch of people and really gets that mean streak on display. Let him play the power play and penalty kill and let him use that howitzer if a shot he has. I still can't believe they can't find a place for Morin in the lineup, but that worthless piece of dog excrement MacDonald gets to pairing minutes. Ship MacD to Siberia, move Hagg to the right side of Provorov, use Gudas with Sanheim and play Morin and Ghost together. Why is that so effing difficult for this club?

I honestly can't say.  Waive Mac.  No one will pick him up.  If you need him because Morin sucks or because of injury, he'll still be there.

In the mean time, Mac and your damn Coach have cost you more than Sanheim or Hagg have so far so why not see what Morin can do?

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Morin just needs a Mark Streit like injury to get him his break one similar to the one who freed Ghost....i'm not wishing anything on the players but once he gets the call up i hope he carves out a spot and forces them to waive either of Manning or Mcdud....i'd prefer Manning as the 7th...

I'd prefer Mac as the 7th, but the problem is that Manning's salary is far more likely to get him picked up if we waive him.   Waive Mac.  Manning 7th.  The minute there's an injury, bring up Mac to either play every night or be the 7th.  It's just what has to happen.  

On 10/11/2017 at 2:28 PM, brelic said:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/otf-flyers-loan-d-samuel-morin-to-phantoms--philadelphia-flyers/c-291818516

The Flyers resume practice at their training facility, the Virtua Center Flyers Skatezone in Voorhees, NJ at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Who did they bring up?  Read?  

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Manning's salary is far more likely to get him picked up if we waive him.

Exactly.

But i could live with Mcdud making popcorn....because i would know he isn't on the ice.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly.

But i could live with Mcdud making popcorn....because i would know he isn't on the ice.

He could still be a leader in practice and the locker room as well (if he has the character for that-I don't know).  

All summer, when we talked about this sort of thing coming I figured it would be a good problem to have... and it is... but in the mean time, I'm just not sure it's making the team better and I'm positive it's not making the team of the future happen any faster.

Morin Hagg and Sanheim ARE ALL READY.  None of them are getting any better in the AHL.  IF he's ready and already maybe almost as good as MacDonald or Manning... it's really a no friggin' brainer.

THE ONLY thing that I like about this is that it suggests that Hextall and Hakstol understand pairings finally.  Last year they were unbalanced because they wouldn't bring up Morin or Hagg AND they had both MDZ and Streit.    That meant 4 puck movers for 6 spots.  

Morin vs. Mac may be a discussion to have but Sanheim vs. Morin absolutely isn't.  The slot that's available is for a puck moving shooter, Not Morin.  This is a big part of the reason it didn't work with Manning in the lineup.  It unbalanced things too much.  

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Morin vs. Mac may be a discussion

Morin can do everything he can even make some mistakes....the plus is Morin has upside and will grow and learn...Mcdud is what he is.

But (not at you) i'm so tired of this subject.

Management has made their mind up no matter how many of us think it is wrong.

All i know is when i look around the East there are a lot of teams who have gotten better....the Flyers need to keep pace.

Now i am really once again concerned about the goalie situation.

Very very disappointed with Elliot.

They are going to need him and he has been so very uninspiring in net.

Hard to watch the team play and rally so hard....only for him to cave and fight the puck.

Dear God he has to get him rebound under control quick to help out the defense.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Morin can do everything he can even make some mistakes....the plus is Morin has upside and will grow and learn...Mcdud is what he is.

But (not at you) i'm so tired of this subject.

Management has made their mind up no matter how many of us think it is wrong.

All i know is when i look around the East there are a lot of teams who have gotten better....the Flyers need to keep pace.

Now i am really once again concerned about the goalie situation.

Very very disappointed with Elliot.

They are going to need him and he has been so very uninspiring in net.

Hard to watch the team play and rally so hard....only for him to cave and fight the puck.

Dear God he has to get him rebound under control quick to help out the defense.

Yeah, Elliott hasn't really had a game where he looked great. That's always been the issue with him, though. He's either lights out or Red Light Racicot.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's a fair trade off so far. 

As of right now. It is a push at best.

However i have seen Mase stand on his head before and steal a game for the Flyers.

When Elliot does that maybe we'll revisit this......till then he sucks!

Archived