Habs trying to trade Streit... already

brelic

http://www.hockeyinsiders.net/2017/10/11/report-canadiens-actively-shopping-one-of-their-de/

If we wanted to bring in some veteran presence, we should go hard after Streit, and scratch Hagg or Sanheim.

KIDDING!!!!!!!

I think Bergevin is quickly reaching Howson status in terrible deals and signings.

Yeah, that signing made no sense.  Habs not off to the best start offensively.  

Edited to Add: his signings have been bad.  Not sure how the Drouin trade will work out especially at center, but Sergachev is a great dman prospect.  I read Galchenyuk is a fourth liner.  lol.  

2 hours ago, brelic said:

http://www.hockeyinsiders.net/2017/10/11/report-canadiens-actively-shopping-one-of-their-de/

If we wanted to bring in some veteran presence, we should go hard after Streit, and scratch Hagg or Sanheim.

KIDDING!!!!!!!

I think Bergevin is quickly reaching Howson status in terrible deals and signings.

they would prob love to have a TRUSTED dman over rookie. Right hexy? :VeryCool:

2 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

Still can't believe they gave him any type of contract.  Loved Streit when he was here but the dude can't keep up at this point in his career.

Exactly.

Streit has been waived by the Canadiens.

So here is my 2 cents.  Streit isn't  good enough to hold a roster spot now.  Streit wasn't good enough to hold a roster spot for the Penguins during the playoffs, why or why did Hextall and Flyers keep him in a regular roster spot last season?

8 hours ago, brelic said:

KIDDING!!!!!!!

Didn't they sign him for like $750K?  Why on earth would they care so much about trading him?  Are they really trying to just get something for him rather than waiving him?

9 hours ago, brelic said:

KIDDING!!!!!!!

Well he has been waived..........here is your chance....can always claim him and send Sanheim down....

:ph34r:

Streit was a warrior, dude played through a lot of injuries & was solid. But after that last one, with the Flyers, he wasn't the same. Smaller D, not overly fast, relied on quickness. Lost that & was no longer effective, even on the PP.

Still Habs had to do something, after trading Sergachev to Tampa for Drouin, and letting Markov walk, they rolled the dice on Streit. But if they watched him last season, they would have known he's not viable anymore.

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

So here is my 2 cents.  Streit isn't  good enough to hold a roster spot now.  Streit wasn't good enough to hold a roster spot for the Penguins during the playoffs, why or why did Hextall and Flyers keep him in a regular roster spot last season?

Probably because they figured they could trade him.  Scratching or waiving him would have made it harder to do so.  Youth was fine developing in the AHL last year.

And to think Ron Hextall got a 4th rounder and a conditional 7th for him...impressive...

...sure they took Filppula back with it but salary wise and he has been pretty decent in Philly...Pens got smart last year and only played Streit a total of 3 games during their Cup run....dude was and is washed up.

I guess there is always the olympics for him....

Streit was solid for us. He came in and did what he was supposed to do for most of his contract until one of our young guys game along and replaced him (Gostisbehere) 

Pretty solid career for a 9th round draft pick 

Gotta know when to fold 'em I guess.   

It's a harder life going back to the AHL after you've been a pro for so long.  More busses, crappier hotels, and when you're Streit's age that kind of thing makes being away from family quite a bit easier.

If I thought Montreal was more of a contender, I'd stick with it and try to get better for one last push.  But this team is build in a way that they will inevitably fall apart.  

I'd look at some front office or coaching options somewhere.  Juniors, ECHL maybe.

10 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Streit was solid for us. He came in and did what he was supposed to do for most of his contract until one of our young guys game along and replaced him (Gostisbehere) 

Pretty solid career for a 9th round draft pick 

Absolutely no problems with Streit.  He's almost 40. 

Add that guy (even at 36 or whatever it was) to the 2010 team or the 2012 team and who the hell knows what's possible.  There is no shame in a 39 year old losing a step on 23 year olds.   It's been a good run Mark!  If you want to keep playing, godspeed, but if you want to hang 'em up, we'll have a nice ceremony for you in Philly.  

On 10/13/2017 at 5:37 PM, OccamsRazor said:

And to think Ron Hextall got a 4th rounder and a conditional 7th for him...impressive...

...sure they took Filppula back with it but salary wise and he has been pretty decent in Philly...Pens got smart last year and only played Streit a total of 3 games during their Cup run....dude was and is washed up.

I guess there is always the olympics for him....

I like how taking Filppula (who's playing fantastic for us) is the toss in on that deal.  Sometimes it's like Hextall has hypnotic powers of persuasion.  Wish he could have used them on the likes of Yzerman back  in '97 instead of now.  

Really, it's just that he seems to know what will help other teams and how to use that to get something that will benefit his team.

That said, if he trades Streit at the 2016 deadline instead of the 2017 deadline, we may have been looking at another first rounder based on what he got for Timmo and Coburn.  

Archived