Carter and Richards trades: A crude evaluation

Guest brelic

Yep. Richards and Carter get their beachfront houses with tons of hot chicks in the area, while still getting to play hockey. It gets even better for Richards, who gets to be anonymous in such a large city - he can probably relax a little now.

Any trade is made in effort to improve a team and make a run in the playoffs. From a team success perspective, so far the trade with the Kings is a draw as both teams have made it equally far this season. I have to imagine LA is happy with what Richards has brought to the table in the regular season and especially in the playoffs. I think Philly is equally happy with what Simmonds and Schenn have brought to the table.

Columbus actually makes a decent return as well. They gave up the number 8 overall and Voracek, and essentially get Jack Johnson and a late first round pick this year (18th unless the Kings make the finals), or LA's first rounder next year, Columbus' choice. While they lost on Carter, who did nothing for them (Who thought he'd be a good center for Nash? Nash needs a distributer. Not a shooter), they still managed to parlay him into something pretty worthwhile.

Voracek and 8th overall (Couturier) for Jack Johnson and a potential 18th or future year 1st rounder? No thanks. Columbus got screwed, and they're too mismanaged to know it. They did alright with the Philly segment, and at this point blew it with the LA segment, barring a total LA meltdown next season turning that pick to a lottery one.

• Like 1

I think its the opposite. They got hosed on the Philly segment, but were able to make up for it somewhat when they offloaded Carter to LA. Carter did nothing for them. Turning him into a first rounder and a pretty good offensive defenseman was a win for them.

Columbus actually makes a decent return as well. They gave up the number 8 overall and Voracek, and essentially get Jack Johnson and a late first round pick this year (18th unless the Kings make the finals), or LA's first rounder next year, Columbus' choice. While they lost on Carter, who did nothing for them (Who thought he'd be a good center for Nash? Nash needs a distributer. Not a shooter), they still managed to parlay him into something pretty worthwhile.

They were fleeced. It is kind of like saying we came out well on the Steve Eminger trade.

@AJgoal

I think it is too early to tell whether or not Columbus rectified the atrocity that was the Philly-Columbus carter trade. Johnson was a complete enigma in LA. For whatever reason could not play d to save his life (sans hie -83 there).

After the trade to columbus, Johnson played quite well. He was on top pairing and often played 30 minutes a night. He ended getting 14 points in 21 games and was a plus 5. That projects into 54 points and a plus 20 over the course of a season. If (and here is the BIG if), Johnson can perform at that leve moving forward, then Columbus easily won the Carter - Johnson trade (regardless of who they take with the #1 pick).

On the Philly side, I think you have to wait to see who the number 1 is that they pick and check back in a few years. IMHO, Johnson for Coots / Voracek alone is a loss for Columbus. Yet, this years draft is deep with d-men, so if Columbus is able to pluck a blue chip dman out of the draft AND johnson continues to fleurish, I would say its a draw or perhaps even tipping in Columbus favor.