Carter and Richards trades: A crude evaluation

Guest brelic

Carter (29 GP, 10 G, 7 A, 17 PTS) is on pace for his 2nd worst season in his career (only his sophomore year was worse). His projected totals are 71 GP, 24 G, 17 A, 41 PTS. He's 27.

Columbus is the worst team in the NHL with 27 pts.

He's under contract at $5.27M per until he's 38.

Richards (34GP, 13 G, 10 A, 23 PTS) is on pace for his worst season in the past 5 years. His projected totals are 74GP, 28 G, 21 A, 49 PTS. He'll be 27 in three weeks.

The Kings are the lowest scoring team in the NHL, with 88 GF, and are 9th in the West with 47 pts.

He's under contract at $5.75M per until he's 36.

Voracek (39GP, 6 G, 20 A, 26 PTS) is on pace for a career year in points and assists (81 GP, 12 G, 42 A, 54 PTS).

He's only 22 and on a one year contract at $2.25M.

Couturier (35GP, 5 G, 6 A, 11 PTS) is having a solid rookie season, being an integral part of the penalty killing unit, and a 'new' type of 4th line that energizes the team.

He's 19 years old and on a 3-year rookie contract. He's on pace for 78GP, 11 G, 13 A, 24 PTS.

Wayne Simmonds (39GP, 10 G, 8 A, 18 PTS) is on pace for a career-high in goals, and 2nd highest point total (81GP, 21 G, 16 A, 37 PTS).

He's 23 and on a two year contract at $1.75M per.

Schenn (11 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 3 PTS) is a rookie, and the verdict is still out on him due to limited play. He's 20 and on a 3-year rookie contract at $1.7M per.

The Flyers are the 4th highest scoring team in the NHL (133 GF), and 4th in the East, only 4 points behind the league-leading Rangers.

Very crude, I know, but right now: Flyers win overall on their moves. At the very least, I'm very very happy that they moved those two ridiculous contracts. Can you imagine still screaming at the teevee when Carter is 37, doing the right-side high and wide??\

Ugh.

GO FLYERS!

Carter (29 GP, 10 G, 7 A, 17 PTS) is on pace for his 2nd worst season in his career (only his sophomore year was worse). His projected totals are 71 GP, 24 G, 17 A, 41 PTS. He's 27.

Richards (34GP, 13 G, 10 A, 23 PTS) is on pace for his worst season in the past 5 years. His projected totals are 74GP, 28 G, 21 A, 49 PTS. He'll be 27 in three weeks.

The Kings are the lowest scoring team in the NHL, with 88 GF, and are 9th in the West with 47 pts.

Voracek (39GP, 6 G, 20 A, 26 PTS) is on pace for a career year in points and assists (81 GP, 12 G, 42 A, 54 PTS).

Couturier (35GP, 5 G, 6 A, 11 PTS) is having a solid rookie season, being an integral part of the penalty killing unit, and a 'new' type of 4th line that energizes the team.

He's 19 years old and on a 3-year rookie contract. He's on pace for 78GP, 11 G, 13 A, 24 PTS.

Wayne Simmonds (39GP, 10 G, 8 A, 18 PTS) is on pace for a career-high in goals, and 2nd highest point total (81GP, 21 G, 16 A, 37 PTS).

He's 25 and on a two year contract at $1.75M per.

Schenn (11 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 3 PTS) is a rookie, and the verdict is still out on him due to limited play. He's 20 and on a 3-year rookie contract at $1.7M per.

The Flyers are the 4th highest scoring team in the NHL (133 GF), and 4th in the East, only 4 points behind the league-leading Rangers.

Very crude, I know, but right now: Flyers win overall on their moves. At the very least, I'm very very happy that they moved those two ridiculous contracts. Can you imagine still screaming at the teevee when Carter is 37, doing the right-side high and wide??\

Ugh.

GO FLYERS!

Looks like good moves from where i'm sitting!!!! Who would have thunk....

I don't think it's "crude" at all. It's simply a raw statistical analysis.

And one which bears out that the team became younger, cheaper and better with the trades.

Schenn and Simmonds have some (limited) familiarity from LA and seem to be working well together. I think they are a great fit for JVR at this point.

Crater and Richards were what they were and I didn't get the feeling they were going to be getting much better. To be clear, they are both very good but with limitations of which we are all aware. I think the parade of younger, underachieving talent in and out - Upshall, Lupul, Versteeg - and the inability of experienced vets to integrate with the "younger core" showed that there was a need for a different direction.

I have no idea why Columbus thought Crater - who's resume features goal scoring - could be the playmaking center that Rick Nash has needed for his entire career. Getting Voracek and Couturier for him is a steal. I think that this is the best thing that could have happened to Voracek. He's on a team that's going somewhere and playing with a childhood idol.

I can see LA taking on Richards - especially with Lombardi and Hextall out there as well as Stevens. I think Simmonds is a perfect fit for the Flyers and Schenn brings that "upside." And I think the change of scenery and responsibility and market will serve Richards well, too.

And one which bears out that the team became younger, cheaper and better with the trades.

Schenn and Simmonds have some (limited) familiarity from LA and seem to be working well together. I think they are a great fit for JVR at this point.

Crater and Richards were what they were and I didn't get the feeling they were going to be getting much better. To be clear, they are both very good but with limitations of which we are all aware. I think the parade of younger, underachieving talent in and out - Upshall, Lupul, Versteeg - and the inability of experienced vets to integrate with the "younger core" showed that there was a need for a different direction.

I have no idea why Columbus thought Crater - who's resume features goal scoring - could be the playmaking center that Rick Nash has needed for his entire career. Getting Voracek and Couturier for him is a steal. I think that this is the best thing that could have happened to Voracek. He's on a team that's going somewhere and playing with a childhood idol.

I can see LA taking on Richards - especially with Lombardi and Hextall out there as well as Stevens. I think Simmonds is a perfect fit for the Flyers and Schenn brings that "upside." And I think the change of scenery and responsibility and market will serve Richards well, too.

Anytime you can trade two guys who played junior for four, it's a win situation!

Rad, that's exactly what I was trying to point out.. not only are the four players statistically better than Richards and Carter combined this season, they are younger, and not on lifetime contracts.

I'd love to see Schenn play lights out until the end of the season ;)

Not to mention the "intangibles" like Hartnell getting a wake up call, G getting more ice time to prove that he is the real deal, Jagr getting into the mix was a super pleasant surprise, and the "kid line" (to quote Jackson), is also a bonus noone could have predicted.

The jury is still out on Bryz, and at present looks to be a dissappointment, but I am willing to wait for Bryz to get his act together.

Overall, great trade, hustle and enthusiasm trumps entitlement and lazy play.

Very crude, I know, but right now: Flyers win overall on their moves.

not crude, really, just a what's-what of the players at this point. i would like to suggest an additional summation, though: the players that came to the flyers win overall on thier moves. carter went to a crap hole in columbus where not even rick nash can get anything done, richards went to an identity crisis in los angeles that has some very highend players shooting blanks for no apparent reason...whereas simmonds and voracek left the aforementioned slow motion disasters for a team with something to prove and the roster/attitude to get things done. the flyers right now are built as the perfect landing pad for young guys like voracek and simmonds (not to mention couturier and schenn), with a unusual combination of strong enough teammates to give them the space to find their games as well as the opporunity for the icetime required to take said games to the next level.

carter, richards, los angeles and columbus lose, and everyone else wins pretty big time.

an identity crisis in los angeles that has some very highend players shooting blanks for no apparent reason

I was watching them lose 1-0 to Columbus the other night and wondered the same thing. As LA tried to mount some offense to tie the game, all they could generate was chaos. I'm not sure who got into their collective head but it is a real achievement to take a lineup that includes Richards, Kopitar, Gagne, Williams, Brown, Doughty and Johnson and turn it into the worst offensive team in the league.

He's 23 and on a two year contract at $1.75M per.

Ugh.

GO FLYERS!

The Carter trade looks good already. Voracek looks like he wants to play. Hopefully the shiny new team thing doesn't wear off along with effort next year. He's had issues with conditioning before. Couturier making the team was a huge surprise. This kids game can only go up, and his defensive game is already great.

The Richards trade, presently, isn't really a win IMO. I really like Simmonds, and we needed another type like him. Schenn is one of two players I mentioned last year I'd be willing to trade Carter for in a package. Funny we got him for Richards. A few years from now this deal should be good for Philly. But comparing stats on a trade for Mike Richards is a fools game. He brings so much more than points, and it's painfully obvious THAT part is sorely missed on this team. See last nights blown game.

As for getting rid of 2 longterm contracts, that'd all be well and great. Except Holmgren brought in another one with a player who so far has been almost totally useless. And I highly doubt would ever bring us either of the packages that Carter/Richards trades did. If I was a gm, I'd want at least Schenn just to take that idiotic contract off your hands. And at 31, it's not like Bryzgalov is still developing. Actually, he's developing into the most hated goalie Philly has ever had.

Bryz's contract is infinitely more untradeable than Richards and Carters. At least R and C were actually putting up good stats. They were just lockerroom douchebags. Bryz appears to both suck and be a douche to his teammates. And has a NMC. And is signed for eternity.

@Flyguys03

I would take either Carter (WITH the seperated shoulder) or Richards back, and their contracts, for Bryzgalov in a heartbeat. Even if they had to play goal.

Ouch... really?

The Carter trade looks good already. Voracek looks like he wants to play. Hopefully the shiny new team thing doesn't wear off along with effort next year. He's had issues with conditioning before. Couturier making the team was a huge surprise. This kids game can only go up, and his defensive game is already great.

The Richards trade, presently, isn't really a win IMO. I really like Simmonds, and we needed another type like him. Schenn is one of two players I mentioned last year I'd be willing to trade Carter for in a package. Funny we got him for Richards. A few years from now this deal should be good for Philly. But comparing stats on a trade for Mike Richards is a fools game. He brings so much more than points, and it's painfully obvious THAT part is sorely missed on this team. See last nights blown game.

As for getting rid of 2 longterm contracts, that'd all be well and great. Except Holmgren brought in another one with a player who so far has been almost totally useless. And I highly doubt would ever bring us either of the packages that Carter/Richards trades did. If I was a gm, I'd want at least Schenn just to take that idiotic contract off your hands. And at 31, it's not like Bryzgalov is still developing. Actually, he's developing into the most hated goalie Philly has ever had.

I still think that right now, overall, we win in both trades. The sum of the parts that we got is greater here than what Richards is doing in LA and what Carter is (not) doing in Columbus.

And with the long-term contracts, I agree. He finally got rid of two lifetime contracts only to bring in another one. Homer can't be saved from himself, apparently.

Just ask the Isles how much they like STILL paying Yashin and having his cap hit, plus DiPietro's cap hit for the next 9 years for a guy who never plays. The owners do it to themselves and, well, unless this is addressed in some way in the new CBA, I doubt it will change.

Maximum lengths or non-guaranteed contracts are two ways to address it, but I would think those are non-starters for the union, and would certainly lead to a strike.

Just ask the Isles how much they like STILL paying Yashin and having his cap hit, plus DiPietro's cap hit for the next 9 years for a guy who never plays. The owners do it to themselves and, well, unless this is addressed in some way in the new CBA, I doubt it will change.

I thought "no way are they still paying Yashin"

But, $2.2M through 2015... Ouch.

DiPietro's at $4.5M through 2021. No, seriously.

I thought "no way are they still paying Yashin"

But, $2.2M through 2015... Ouch.

DiPietro's at $4.5M through 2021. No, seriously.

I know. And that could be us with Bryz, Pronger, etc. For different reasons, but it still comes down to lengthy contracts that don't pan out.

I think you can look at it no other way. I hate to toot my own horn but when the trades were made I was confident the Flyers received the better of the deal. I predicted Carter would be lucky to score 25 goals let alone 30 and his shoot first, pass second mentality would wear thin with a linemate like Nash.

Schenn is starting to play with more confidence and physical and his play is night and day then prior to the Winter Classic. Simmonds was a guy I loved and thought he is a perfect Flyer. He has done nothing to disappoint as he brings intensity every shift, goes to the net, drops the gloves, etc.

Jake has been as expected. Excellent puck handling and great vision have been nice assets to the team. Not to mention he is a bigger body and is good along the wall.

Factor all that in and the fact Couts made the team and has not looked out of place at all and it is no contest. We gave up two guys with some questionable work/training habits and obviously a problem in the room and in return received 4 players who are contributing and will contribute not to mention a second round pick in the Richards deal.