Game 5 Caps at Flyers 10/14/17 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I could give two sh!ts if they booed him.

If guys have a right to kneel then they have a right to hear when the fans don't like them or their play.

No story here. Carry on.

Those two things aren't remotely related.

Fans can boo whoever they want for whatever reason they want to. They spent their own money to get those seats, so you can do whatever you want in them as long as it doesn't cross a line, like throwing stuff on the ice.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:28 AM, OccamsRazor said:

They are playing sound team hockey.

Getting good goaltending.

However they are beatable.

Maybe the Flyers will have better luck now that Mason and his 0-10 record versus them has left town.

We'll see soon enough.

Right now is only about beating the Panthers next.

Knowing Hakstol, he's giving Hextall the Silent Treatment over not being able to put Mason in against the Devils.

And you're totally right.  Got my games mixed up.  Panthers next.  

Still...  It was one thing when the Devils beat us, but just sucked.  I really can't handle a world in which the Devils are a good hockey team again.  It's just not right.  

Move them to Quebec please Bettman.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Knowing Hakstol, he's giving Hextall the Silent Treatment over not being able to put Mason in against the Devils.

And you're totally right.  Got my games mixed up.  Panthers next.  

Still...  It was one thing when the Devils beat us, but just sucked.  I really can't handle a world in which the Devils are a good hockey team again.  It's just not right.  

Move them to Quebec please Bettman.

Well the Rangers suck so there is that...

:VeryCool:

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I could give two sh!ts if they booed him.

If guys have a right to kneel then they have a right to hear when the fans don't like them or their play.

No story here. Carry on.

I remember a game back in the 80's when I was young and I think it was Mark LaForest got lit up for a few goals.  During a PP, the other team dumped the puck, but it ended up on net, so LaForest cautiously stopped the slow moving dump and controlled it to leave for his D man.  The crowd went BONKERS with sarcastic cheers.   For some reason this feels more appropriate than booing a guy.  Take the piss out of him.  Rag on him a bit.  You let him know that he blew a few but that he's still on your team and he's kind of in on the joke.   Booing your team's own player?  That reflects more poorly on the people booing than the guy they're booing to me.  

And let's face it... booing MacDonald isn't booing him, it's booing the fact that he makes more money than we think he's worth and that we'd rather see Morin than him.  I'd sooner hear them chant "Hoooooomer Hooooooomer Hoooooomer" whenever he touches the puck.  

I think fans certainly have the right to Boo him, it's just a matter of whether it's good form or whether it's a good idea.   He's in the game.  Do you expect him to play better when booed?  

I've said repeatedly that Mac is playing well enough to be on this team's ice... I just happen to think for the long term improvement of this team, it would be better if Morin and Sanheim were both in the lineup over him or Manning.

If you're booing MacDonald simply for his poorly play and you literally intend to hurt his feelings... that's just kinda dumb to me.  

Doesn't seem like it'll get the team anywhere.  Reminds me of Booing Donovan McNabb because you thought a flashy running back was more important than a QB for leading the team out of the toilet.  Just feels short sighted.  

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the Rangers suck so there is that...

:VeryCool:

I admit to really being okay with the Rangers during their cup run and the surrounding years.  Brian Leetch was just a superb hockey player and Mike Richter grew up not far from me, so it was easy to support them.

Esa Tikannen however... what a friggin jerk.  That made it a whole lot easier to start hating them again.   

The years with Queen Nag Tortorella solidified it for me.  All that crap between McDonagh and Simmer left a bad taste in my mouth too.  

The fact that Rick Nash wasn't suspsended for leaving his feet to elbow a guy in the face last weeks just buries it for me.  The Rangers need to be crushed and destroyed into the whimpering mess of whiney brats they are.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I remember a game back in the 80's when I was young and I think it was Mark LaForest got lit up for a few goals.  During a PP, the other team dumped the puck, but it ended up on net, so LaForest cautiously stopped the slow moving dump and controlled it to leave for his D man.  The crowd went BONKERS with sarcastic cheers.   For some reason this feels more appropriate than booing a guy.  Take the piss out of him.  Rag on him a bit.  You let him know that he blew a few but that he's still on your team and he's kind of in on the joke.   Booing your team's own player?  That reflects more poorly on the people booing than the guy they're booing to me.  

And let's face it... booing MacDonald isn't booing him, it's booing the fact that he makes more money than we think he's worth and that we'd rather see Morin than him.  I'd sooner hear them chant "Hoooooomer Hooooooomer Hoooooomer" whenever he touches the puck.  

I think fans certainly have the right to Boo him, it's just a matter of whether it's good form or whether it's a good idea.   He's in the game.  Do you expect him to play better when booed?  

I've said repeatedly that Mac is playing well enough to be on this team's ice... I just happen to think for the long term improvement of this team, it would be better if Morin and Sanheim were both in the lineup over him or Manning.

If you're booing MacDonald simply for his poorly play and you literally intend to hurt his feelings... that's just kinda dumb to me.  

Doesn't seem like it'll get the team anywhere.  Reminds me of Booing Donovan McNabb because you thought a flashy running back was more important than a QB for leading the team out of the toilet.  Just feels short sighted.  

Meh.

20 hours ago, King Knut said:

+1

I'm right with you here. 

My thought is booing him opening night is pretty ****** harsh for a guy who has played okay.

Whenever I think wow this fanbase is harsh I remember this fanbase booed Mike Schmidt... in his prime.  I know I know he acts like a douche nozzel frequently ...but he is arguably the greatest 3rd baseman of all time.  So why should overpaid Andrew MacDonald get a pass.

23 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

+1

I'm right with you here. 

My thought is booing him opening night is pretty ****** harsh for a guy who has played okay.

Whenever I think wow this fanbase is harsh I remember this fanbase booed Mike Schmidt... in his prime.  I know I know he acts like a douche nozzel frequently ...but he is arguably the greatest 3rd baseman of all time.  So why should overpaid Andrew MacDonald get a pass.

If Mac knew the history, he should grow a mustache and start wearing a curley wig under his helmet from time to time.  

Crap like that would probably go a long way with the fan base.  

Then again, that's much more of a PK Subban thing to do. 

On 10/15/2017 at 9:08 AM, murraycraven said:

Couts is embarrassing at 1C:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Why do people post crap like this?  In six seasons – not one, or two, or three, but SIX – his career-high was 39 points. And now because he has six points in five, count em five, games, you think you think you can buff out your chest and brag about some prediction you made seven years ago… That still hasn’t come true?! Jake scored 81 points three years ago, will likely never score that much again, and there is still a portion of the fan base wants him gone; because apparently anyone over 25 is useless in today’s game. SIT DOWN, buddy. Couturier could score….. I dunno, 96 points this season and you still wouldn’t be right and those who criticized him wrong. It still wouldn’t change history, you're not a better fan than anyone who criticized him, you don't know more about the game than we do, etc., etc., etc.

45 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Why do people post crap like this?  In six seasons – not one, or two, or three, but SIX – his career-high was 39 points. And now because he has six points in five, count em five, games, you think you think you can buff out your chest and brag about some prediction you made seven years ago… That still hasn’t come true?! Jake scored 81 points three years ago, will likely never score that much again, and there is still a portion of the fan base wants him gone; because apparently anyone over 25 is useless in today’s game. SIT DOWN, buddy. Couturier could score….. I dunno, 96 points this season and you still wouldn’t be right and those who criticized him wrong. It still wouldn’t change history, you're not a better fan than anyone who criticized him, you don't know more about the game than we do, etc., etc., etc.

Relax Francis...   It was made it in jest as some people, like you I suppose, that will never give credit to Couts for anything.   He is performing and if he keeps it up his contract is a steal.   And he is still pretty young...  but hate away dude.

8 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

No.

Your post was f-cking lame and has no merit.

wah wah....   quit your crying.

You are the A typical fan that bitches about everything.   Hate away b/c it makes you look like an ass dude.   

Simply hit ignore if you dont like it...

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

wah wah....   quit your crying.

See, I think you're the one with tears in their eyes. Your carrying this six-year grudge against anyone who dared to *gasps* simply point out the truth and the second you get the opportunity to say you were right you make sure you do. I mean, come on. Five games? Really?

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:12 AM, icehole said:

I agree 100%.  He's not a booable player.  He's ok for the 6th or 7th defenseman and he's not a guy who dogs it out there.  Just because he's not very good doesn't make him booable.

Also, you see his teammates wacking his shin pads and saying something.  I'm sure he's a good teammate, so when your favorite players hear the fans boo MacDonald, I'm sure they think the fans are classless also.  

Not a drop of sarcasm or smarm here.   No really.

I didn't have a problem with the booing, but more because I'm irritated with management, his contract, and his blocking kids.

But honestly, your post single-handedly changed my mind.   Other posts were critical of it but for whatever reason didn't strike me like yours did.    Great post.

8 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

See, I think you're the one with tears in their eyes. Your carrying this six-year grudge against anyone who dared to *gasps* simply point out the truth and the second you get the opportunity to say you were right you make sure you do. I mean, come on. Five games? Really?

I have no "6 year grudge" dude.  I think he is a smart player that was put in a position to be a defensive-minded player and he is now getting a shot to play with highly skilled players.   And, guess what, he is making the most of it thus far.  Is it a short sample size but if he continues you are the one that is proven to be wrong.   Time will tell...   Even if he is not an offensive stud he is still a very valuable player on this Team.   No matter if you think so or not...  

Then again, I am sure you know more than one of the greatest coaches of all time:  http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-scotty-bowman-got-sean-couturier-on-team-north-america

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Not a drop of sarcasm or smarm here.   No really.

I didn't have a problem with the booing, but more because I'm irritated with management, his contract, and his blocking kids.

But honestly, your post single-handedly changed my mind.   Other posts were critical of it but for whatever reason didn't strike me like yours did.    Great post.

Philadelphia is no longer negadelphia!  Embiid earns a 5 year/$148M contract after playing 31 games, wentz is MVP of the NFL after 20 some games in the league, and Coots is "the answer" after 5 games.

I love the positivity.  I'll admit that I've only watched 5 periods of flyers hockey this season.  That top line looked pretty good in about 2 1/2 of those periods.  However, I don't see any difference in Couturier's game.  I still see a timid player that doesn't show a ton of skill.

So is 5 games just too little of a sample size to start calling him "the answer", or maybe he just fits in with voracek and Giroux on the wing?  I hope it's the latter, because if that's the case, I can get excited for a fun season.  I'm sure he'll still frustrate me at some points though.

1 minute ago, icehole said:

Philadelphia is no longer negadelphia!  Embiid earns a 5 year/$148M contract after playing 31 games, wentz is MVP of the NFL after 20 some games in the league, and Coots is "the answer" after 5 games.

I love the positivity.  I'll admit that I've only watched 5 periods of flyers hockey this season.  That top line looked pretty good in about 2 1/2 of those periods.  However, I don't see any difference in Couturier's game.  I still see a timid player that doesn't show a ton of skill.

So is 5 games just too little of a sample size to start calling him "the answer", or maybe he just fits in with voracek and Giroux on the wing?  I hope it's the latter, because if that's the case, I can get excited for a fun season.  I'm sure he'll still frustrate me at some points though.

It's not such a silly proposition really. He's only 24, which is a year when many players seem to take a leap forward. He was already one of the best 5v5 players we had over the last couple years. Also, he's playing with two highly talented players on his wings. I agree with you that the current pt streak is unlikely to continue like this, but I think it's very fair to assume he will have his best year this year.

My guess? He'll round out 60 pts this season. Is that as much as other 1C players in the league? No, but I'll take it. I also don't think it's a coincidence that Giroux seems to have picked up the pace on the wing. It may very well be that the Cap is better suited to that position at this point in his career. Nothing wrong with that. It that is the case, and if Couts is a big reason for a bounceback year from him, then I'm happy with it.

As you mention, it's still very early. As of right now, it's safe to say the Couts experiment has been a success. Will it prove to be one by the time xmas rolls around? No one knows for sure. I hope so.

5 minutes ago, elmatus said:

My guess? He'll round out 60 pts this season. Is that as much as other 1C players in the league? 

I didn't even think of that.  I thought a good season for him would be 50 points.  You say 60 and you could be right.  But don't you need more from the 1C to really get anywhere?

If he has 50 points as the 1C, that won't be very good for the team.  If he gets 60, there better be scoring coming from somewhere else if they expect to do anything.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

I didn't even think of that.  I thought a good season for him would be 50 points.  You say 60 and you could be right.  But don't you need more from the 1C to really get anywhere?

If he has 50 points as the 1C, that won't be very good for the team.  If he gets 60, there better be scoring coming from somewhere else if they expect to do anything.

well sort of....

the way this team is playing right now with 4 pretty good lines. 60pts from the 1 C might be enough.  If you're also getting 45-55 from 2 C and 35- 40 from 3 C and 25-30 from 4 C ... that's some okay production. 

If you' team is top heavy *cough cough* (last year) 60 points doesn't get it done. 

Based on what I've seen so far I don't think Laughton finishing the season with 30 points or better seems like a stretch.  That line is fast  smart and always seems to have the puck.   I also think I'm beginning to see some of Nolan Patrick's skill emerging. he's a big smart player too I don't think 30 points is an unrealistic projection there either.

All this to say like you , I have been entertained by the Flyers when I've watched them this season and that is such a refreshing change.

Archived