Game 5 Caps at Flyers 10/14/17 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

2 hours ago, icehole said:

I didn't even think of that.  I thought a good season for him would be 50 points.  You say 60 and you could be right.  But don't you need more from the 1C to really get anywhere?

If he has 50 points as the 1C, that won't be very good for the team.  If he gets 60, there better be scoring coming from somewhere else if they expect to do anything.

I'd love to see more than 60, but I certainly wouldn't bank on it. You're right in that 60 isn't elite or anything, and it may not be enough. He doesn't play on the 1st pp, which makes a considerable difference when looking at most 1Cs around. That 60 pts would be mostly 5v5, which is quite good when you break it down. Couts getting 60 likely means Giroux and Voracek are in the 70-80 range with pp production.

And of course, he may not even get that much. A lot of it is wait and see for now. Still, I definitely like the way it has started with that trio. Barring a return to the centre from Giroux, there's really no one else to take that spot right now anyway. If they can gel and continue to grow together, there's nothing but good stuff ahead in my mind.

Anyway, you're right when you say it's very early. Tons of hockey left.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

well sort of....

the way this team is playing right now with 4 pretty good lines. 60pts from the 1 C might be enough.  If you're also getting 45-55 from 2 C and 35- 40 from 3 C and 25-30 from 4 C ... that's some okay production. 

If you' team is top heavy *cough cough* (last year) 60 points doesn't get it done. 

Based on what I've seen so far I don't think Laughton finishing the season with 30 points or better seems like a stretch.  That line is fast  smart and always seems to have the puck.   I also think I'm beginning to see some of Nolan Patrick's skill emerging. he's a big smart player too I don't think 30 points is an unrealistic projection there either.

All this to say like you , I have been entertained by the Flyers when I've watched them this season and that is such a refreshing change.

I guess anything could happen but it seems rare for the 1C to have less than 60 points and have a successful year.  Toronto had 4 centers over 50 points with 3 over 60.  That seems unbelievable but I just read that on the NHL.com stats from last year.

I said this at the start of last season.  If couturier keeps it up, I'll have to change my avatar.  Let's hope it's (the avatar) gone in a few weeks.

Archived