Fleury injured...What Now For the Knights?

Fleury.jpg

from Sports Illustrated online:

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/10/15/marc-andre-fleury-injury-reserve-golden-knights-moves

from Sportsnet Canada:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-place-fleury-marchessault-injured-reserve/

So now...with the single biggest reason the Knights have been competitive and winning going down with injury, does this mean the Cinderella start for the expansion Vegas Golden Knights is over?

The team's already marginal top six lines took a beating as well with Jonathan Marchessault and Erik Haula going down with injures too.

The team is now back to a load of bottom six guys, inexperienced young guys, and Malcolm Subban, all manning key positions and tasked with keeping this team competitive.

Tall order I say.

Granted, some teams in the Pacific aren't doing so hot themselves (basically everyone except maybe the Kings and Flames), but don't expect that to stay that way for very long.

Vegas needed everyone to a man, to play above and beyond for them to compete...and MAF was the glue that kept things from getting crazy.

Unless some others surprise and/or Malcolm Subban plays like a Vezina hopeful, methinks this team is in big trouble and will look every bit the part of an expansion roster in upcoming games.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I think you make some very points.  MAF going down is a severe blow for this Knights team.  From a selfish POV my goalie in NAHANA just went down and I had Marchessault in Conn Smythe, so yeah it sucks for me. 

Subban may turn out to be a good goalie, BUT you simply CANNOT replace the experience of MAF.  He absolutely is the glue for this team.   The d-men knew if they blew an assignment that MAF could potentially bail them out.  Granted MAF is only listed for being out a week, but we all know how concussions go.  It could be 1 week or 2 months.  Short term, though painful, I think Vegas could whither the storm.  Long term....yeah it could be a long year for what looked to be a Cinderella story.

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I think you make some very points.  MAF going down is a severe blow for this Knights team.  From a selfish POV my goalie in NAHANA just went down and I had Marchessault in Conn Smythe, so yeah it sucks for me. 

Subban may turn out to be a good goalie, BUT you simply CANNOT replace the experience of MAF.  He absolutely is the glue for this team.   The d-men knew if they blew an assignment that MAF could potentially bail them out.  Granted MAF is only listed for being out a week, but we all know how concussions go.  It could be 1 week or 2 months.  Short term, though painful, I think Vegas could whither the storm.  Long term....yeah it could be a long year for what looked to be a Cinderella story.

I guess we really will find out quite a bit about PK Subban's kid brother, because while he may turn out to be a good goalie, he still is being thrown right into the fire.

I mean, it is one thing for a young goalie to be 'eased' into a lineup.....ideally one where the team is solid in both offense and especially defense.....but another thing entirely to tell that same guy, "here ya go, backstop this rag tag group of players we just plucked from other teams, face down the likes of McDavid, Monahan, Gaudreau, Perry, Rakell, Kopitar, and Pavelski and keep this team winning".

Trial by fire doesn't even begin to describe the task Subban has in front of him.

And like I said, the losses of Marchessault and Haula, though seemingly not a big deal, are underrated losses as well, because those players are pretty decent offensive threats and I think they made the marginal bottom six type guys around them play better than they would have normally.

So offense will be a problem here as well.........which of course, Subban may feel the pressure to post a shut out every night......

Again, we will find out a lot about his character and fortitude..........and also the fanbase's interest as they it may wane once the transient fans see the team starting to lose a bunch of games.

I guess they'll have to trade for somebody. This is a shame because he and Vegas were on a pretty darn good roll, no pun intended. He could be back, and soon...look at Crosby and the concussions he had. You never know.

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I guess we really will find out quite a bit about PK Subban's kid brother, because while he may turn out to be a good goalie, he still is being thrown right into the fire.

I mean, it is one thing for a young goalie to be 'eased' into a lineup.....ideally one where the team is solid in both offense and especially defense.....but another thing entirely to tell that same guy, "here ya go, backstop this rag tag group of players we just plucked from other teams, face down the likes of McDavid, Monahan, Gaudreau, Perry, Rakell, Kopitar, and Pavelski and keep this team winning".

Trial by fire doesn't even begin to describe the task Subban has in front of him.

And like I said, the losses of Marchessault and Haula, though seemingly not a big deal, are underrated losses as well, because those players are pretty decent offensive threats and I think they made the marginal bottom six type guys around them play better than they would have normally.

So offense will be a problem here as well.........which of course, Subban may feel the pressure to post a shut out every night......

Again, we will find out a lot about his character and fortitude..........and also the fanbase's interest as they it may wane once the transient fans see the team starting to lose a bunch of games.

Subban should very easily out play MAF! December 18th of this year will be 40 years since I skated of the Mt. Lebonan ice rink and I know I still could out play MAF!😄

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I guess they'll have to trade for somebody. This is a shame because he and Vegas were on a pretty darn good roll, no pun intended. He could be back, and soon...look at Crosby and the concussions he had. You never know.

No need to panic. Subban come back to haunt his old team....holding them to one goal....posting a 955% is pretty solid to me.

Sitting pretty at 4-1-0 with 8 points.

Let it ride...

It would be a great story if Subban can keep this up?  Think about it, years and years spent toiling in the minors and he finally gets a legit shot. Admittedly, he never did much for Providence to deserve a call-up, but I hope the kid succeeds, he has paid his dues. 

Subban was injured in last night's game. I haven't checked to see if there were any updates, but he came out and it looked bad. Their backup had never played in an NHL game prior to coming in with about 8 minutes to go, let in a goal on his first shot against, then ended up getting the win in OT.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Fleury.jpg

from Sports Illustrated online:

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/10/15/marc-andre-fleury-injury-reserve-golden-knights-moves

from Sportsnet Canada:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-place-fleury-marchessault-injured-reserve/

So now...with the single biggest reason the Knights have been competitive and winning going down with injury, does this mean the Cinderella start for the expansion Vegas Golden Knights is over?

The team's already marginal top six lines took a beating as well with Jonathan Marchessault and Erik Haula going down with injures too.

The team is now back to a load of bottom six guys, inexperienced young guys, and Malcolm Subban, all manning key positions and tasked with keeping this team competitive.

Tall order I say.

Granted, some teams in the Pacific aren't doing so hot themselves (basically everyone except maybe the Kings and Flames), but don't expect that to stay that way for very long.

Vegas needed everyone to a man, to play above and beyond for them to compete...and MAF was the glue that kept things from getting crazy.

Unless some others surprise and/or Malcolm Subban plays like a Vezina hopeful, methinks this team is in big trouble and will look every bit the part of an expansion roster in upcoming games.

Well, this is what McPhee gets the big bucks for.  It's interesting how injuries can turn a team (or its season) upside down.  I assume Malcom hasn't much to offer under such immediate circumstances as the Bruins finally shipped him out.  This will put big pressure on everyone, especially Gerard Gallant to manage the turmoil and potential slide.  But, welcome to the NHL Vegas.  This is how the cookie crumbles sometimes....

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Oscar Dansk has been named the short term starter. He has played one AHL game, allowing 6 goals.....yikes. 

Whoa. Great prospect, but talk about your trial by 🔥

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Oscar Dansk has been named the short term starter. He has played one AHL game, allowing 6 goals.....yikes. 

Yeah, but he won his first NHL game, so there's that.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Who will get him first?

TFG, Doc or Rad?

Any one of the 3 are viable options, hell...it might be me if Knhodobin comes up with another horrible outing...ha ha 

Not that the Knights were high on anyone's list to make the playoffs, but man, with the nice start they had and some pretty good goaltending, one would have thought they at least had a shot to stay competitive.

Now injuries have hit this team, including their two goalies Fleury and Subban, and I think this team will now be hurt where it hurts most.......their depth.

Bad enough the team was made up mostly of very green players or middling type established players, but those guys playing at either peak efficiency or over their heads gave this team a nice fun vibe to them that saw them win games.

Now?

Who knows.

Now they turn to the combination of Oscar Dansk and Maxime Legace.

I don't know anything about those two goalies.

Maybe one of them rises up, plays better than anyone anticipates, then both Fleury and/or Subban may find themselves on the bench when they get back........

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't know anything about those two goalies.

Oscar was/is (probably) a legit prospect, former 1st round pick who has not been lucky, perhaps he shines and catches on somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Wow.  The Knights are not having any luck with their tenders...Oscar Dansk was injured tonight.  

AK, I haven't been paying attention (despite having Fleury in fantasy hockey).    What's causing the injuries?   Are they allowing teams to crash the net or something?   I mean, that's three.  That's weird.

Archived