No Morin

sekkes85

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

I remember Colin McDonald showing more than we had ever seen from VdV and PEB when he had his stint. Don't know why he isn't in the NHL. He's a solid 4th liner that can play physically 

Forgot about him.  Would like to see him get a shot in Lehtera's/Wiese's place.

I'm gonna take a contrarian view here and say that best thing for Morin right now is to be playing lots of minutes, lots of situations, in the AHL. 

He's a monster of a kid, and was always a project-type pick. His skating, his foot work - everything really - is still adjusting to the pro game. He's making great progress, let's let him complete the process. The payoff is gonna be yuge.

RE: Colin McDonald, he's a nice player for that bottom 6 role in the NHL, but in the AHL he's just a nice player which allows him to also exhibit his leadership skills.  I think he's far more valuable in LHV being the man and holding kids accountable than he would be playing 6 minutes a night for the big club.

I think our 4th line as constituted is great, and don't see McD as an upgrade to Lehetra or Weal.  I think his situation is a case where he's perfect doing what he's doing. 

RE: Colin McDonald, he's a nice player for that bottom 6 role in the NHL, but in the AHL he's just a nice player which allows him to also exhibit his leadership skills.  I think he's far more valuable in LHV being the man and holding kids accountable than he would be playing 6 minutes a night for the big club.

I think our 4th line as constituted is great, and don't see McD as an upgrade to Lehetra or Weal.  I think his situation is a case where he's perfect doing what he's doing. 

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Good points about McDonald's value to the younger guys in the AHL.

On 24/10/2017 at 11:05 AM, fanaticV3.0 said:

F-cking ridiculous. There's no excuse to not even give him a shot.

Because right now the Phantoms have injuries on the blueline of their own. I expect the Flyers to recall a defenseman after the Phantoms game on Wednesday

With a game tonight, when would we find out if the Flyers called anyone up for the trip?

Phantoms had a home game last night.  Someone somewhere mentioned that maybe the Flyers would wait until after that game to make a call.  I suppose at this point they would have to call up an exempt player if they wanted them to be available for tonight's game.  No time for a player subject to waivers to clear before tonight.

Shouldn't they call up someone for the trip, even if it's not Morin?  Maybe they will ride out these first two games tonight and Saturday since the Phantoms have games tomorrow and Saturday and then maybe bring someone up for the games on Mon, Wed and Thurs next week since the Phantoms won't play again until next Saturday.  I know the Phantoms were banged up on defense, so maybe they are just juggling the rosters a bit.  Seems no reason otherwise to risk being caught a d-man short on the road.  They don't have to penny pinch for cap purposes.

16 minutes ago, vis said:

With a game tonight, when would we find out if the Flyers called anyone up for the trip?

Phantoms had a home game last night.  Someone somewhere mentioned that maybe the Flyers would wait until after that game to make a call.  I suppose at this point they would have to call up an exempt player if they wanted them to be available for tonight's game.  No time for a player subject to waivers to clear before tonight.

Shouldn't they call up someone for the trip, even if it's not Morin?  Maybe they will ride out these first two games tonight and Saturday since the Phantoms have games tomorrow and Saturday and then maybe bring someone up for the games on Mon, Wed and Thurs next week since the Phantoms won't play again until next Saturday.  I know the Phantoms were banged up on defense, so maybe they are just juggling the rosters a bit.  Seems no reason otherwise to risk being caught a d-man short on the road.  They don't have to penny pinch for cap purposes.

My guess is it will continue to be Manning.... which sucks because he has demonstrated that he is nothing more than the 7th man or the bottom paining guy. Morin at least has somewhat of an upside that has yet to be untapped. 

My guess is Manning is our new Vandevelde. By chance did Manning happen to go to UND? 

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Here is a perfect read on why they need Sam....

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/why-flyers-need-samuel-morin-now

I like this comment:    At this point, it seems Hakstol will try just about anything … that doesn’t include Morin.

Make you wonder what Sam did to piss off the coach.... Because the kid is a better option than Manning, so why does the coach not see it???

3 minutes ago, darthbal said:

I like this comment:    At this point, it seems Hakstol will try just about anything … that doesn’t include Morin.

Make you wonder what Sam did to piss off the coach.... Because the kid is a better option than Manning, so why does the coach not see it???

As much as I hate the coaching carousel, I think Dave Hakstol needs to go. To me he is John Stevens light.

33 minutes ago, darthbal said:

His name isn't Chris VandeVelde 

40 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

My guess is it will continue to be Manning.... which sucks because he has demonstrated that he is nothing more than the 7th man or the bottom paining guy. Morin at least has somewhat of an upside that has yet to be untapped. 

Sure, but even still.  Does it hurt to have Alt or someone like that in case one of the top six gets injured?  I suppose they think they can call someone up someone up out on short notice if need be.  The only back-to-back games are next week.

36 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

As much as I hate the coaching carousel, I think Dave Hakstol needs to go. To me he is John Stevens light.

I am in this camp as well.   I am not A Hakstol fan whatsoever but I really don't see it happening this year.   Hextall went outside the box with hiring Hak and I think he will give him every opportunity to succeed.   I really have not seen much from Hak in terms of being a quality head coach in the NHL but I guess that could change.   I think you will see Hak behind the bench no matter what this season and probably next.

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

I am in this camp as well.   I am not A Hakstol fan whatsoever but I really don't see it happening this year.   Hextall went outside the box with hiring Hak and I think he will give him every opportunity to succeed.   I really have not seen much from Hak in terms of being a quality head coach in the NHL but I guess that could change.   I think you will see Hak behind the bench no matter what this season and probably next.

Agree.  I think he gets the term of his contract and maybe even a small extension so he's not a lame duck in the last year.

Just now, vis said:

Agree.  I think he gets the term of his contract and maybe even a small extension so he's not a lame duck in the last year.

I was thinking that as well...

When I think of Hak the first thing that comes to mind is "meh."  I really hate his handling of the goalies and think he tries to outsmart himself with the lineups changes.   He certainly appears to play favorites which really is a concern.  IMO, the coach should ice the best team night in and night out.   

2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

When I think of Hak the first thing that comes to mind is "meh."  I really hate his handling of the goalies and think he tries to outsmart himself with the lineups changes.   He certainly appears to play favorites which really is a concern.  IMO, the coach should ice the best team night in and night out.   

Yeah, not a big fan either.  I do wonder to what extent he and Hextall jointly make some lineup decisions, especially when it comes to playing younger guys vs. vets.  Like, I wonder if they decide to together that Sanheim/Manning play ahead of Morin or that Weise/Lehtera draw in and Leier gets scratched.  I have to imagine there is some discussion between Hakstol and Hextall and I would bet they see eye-to-eye on most things.  (If they disagree, who wins the argument?)  So, I think it's somewhat of a collaborative effort which is why, except for the goalies, I have a hard time blaming Hakstol only re: lineup changes.  I do think the line combinations and goalies are on Hakstol alone, however. 

I think he is a good systems coach.  But I do not think he manages the game well.  I am also curious about the dynamic on the bench and in the locker room.  I am not sure if he's really "developed" players since being here.

I still think he's going through growing pains.  It's funny: we chide Hextall for being safe but his choice of head coach was not.  Although, I guess in some ways it was "safe" in the sense that Hextall didn't hire a coach who might have a louder voice than he or that he may not see eye-to-eye with.  He's probably got more control over Hakstol than he would a vet coach.

Archived