Nolan Patrick - Stay or go?

brelic

Patrick - Stay or go?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers keep Nolan Patrick on the roster, or send him back to the WHL?

• Stay on the Flyers
    • Back to the WHL

I get the feeling almost everyone will say keep Nolan Patrick, but this thread was more about just getting your thoughts on his play so far.

I wouldn't be disappointed if they chose to send him back. He's looked more and more overwhelmed in the past 3-4 games, I'd say. His skating seems slow, and he's just not really asserting himself offensively.

I wonder if he would best be served by playing a full year in the WHL, healthy, and then coming back next year that much stronger. 

Or will he learn much more by being on the Flyers this year?

Anyway, whichever way they lean, I trust them to do what's best for the player's development. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not going anywhere...   Remember, Patrick has not played much in the last year due to injury.   I think he has played well and does a lot of good things.   We could have said the same thing about Prov at this point last year.   Actually, Prov was worse IMO.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope he is ok after this head to the head against the glass...

giphy.gif

he surely is not going anywhere in the near future.  I assume he is going to be missing a bit of time after that... he did not look good coming off the ice.

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

he surely is not going anywhere in the near future.

Well someone voted with me that it couldn't hurt for him to go back to juniors. I think he can work on some things still.

However i wouldn't be up in arms if he stays.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lol, actually it wasn't! I think he's looked just ok for the most part, but I think given his role on the team, he can learn much more here.

I think he needs to regain his scoring touch. I think his defensive game is solid however i detect a slip in his confidence shooting the puck.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I think he needs to regain his scoring touch. I think his defensive game is solid however i detect a slip in his confidence shooting the puck.

Definitely. Has he taken a slap shot in the NHL yet? 

Just now, brelic said:

Definitely. Has he taken a slap shot in the NHL yet? 

I don't recall it however there has been a lot i haven't seen.

He just always looks to pass it...and well damn the Flyers have plenty of passers they need some snipers!!!!!

It is why i was a advocate of calling Martel up he is a sniper and leads the AHL in goals....just waive Read again in his place.

My lineup!!!

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds
10 Danick Martel - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
22 Dale Weise - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 5 Sam Morin
 6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

30 Michal Neuvirth

37 Brian Elliott

He has not looked good in the NHL.  Aside from some nice, nifty plays here and there, I have not been impressed.  I just don't think he's up to speed with the game and hasn't show any dynamic ability yet.  I thought his skating issues in preseason were attributable to the the surgeries, but I thought we would see some improvement by now.  If it turns out he expects to miss a lot of time with his injury, I would say to send him back to junior (assuming they can do that).  If he's not playing here for a long time, then don't burn the year on his contract.  Let him rest and finish the year there.

Question is: how do you fill his spot?  Do you move G back to center and drop Couturier down a line?

Gotta say: for a year in which we had a lot of expectations for young players, I have been mildly disappointed.  Thought Patrick and Lindblom would have success.  Thought Morin and/or Sanheim would be a regular (though perhaps Sanheim is becoming one).  Surprised that Hagg has risen above all of them.  He's been very good.

21 minutes ago, vis said:

I would say to send him back to junior (assuming they can do that).

Well said. I agree. Even though we may be in the minority on this issue. If he plays one more game you can still send him back at anytime but his ELC won't slide and starts counting.

22 minutes ago, vis said:

Question is: how do you fill his spot?

Lehtera?? Sorry i just threw up a little...

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise - 15 Jori Lehterä - 11 Travis Konecny
20 Travis Leier  - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

You could roll like this to start...sure the skill level drops down a bit...

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well said. I agree. Even though we may be in the minority on this issue. If he plays one more game you can still send him back at anytime but his ELC won't slide and starts counting.

Was it you who was thinking he should be sent back to junior before the season started?  If so, props to you.  I was putting too much stock into attributing his "lackluster" preseason to the injury and thought he would play himself into game shape and show signs of improvement.  Hasn't happened yet.  Maybe I'm being too impatient in that regard.  However, to me, the biggest factor in determining whether to send him down is his injury status.  Absent the injury, I probably wouldn't consider sending him back.  But if he's out for a while, and they can do so, they should strongly consider sending him back to junior.  My only concern is whether that messes with his confidence level at all.

In terms of replacement, could they possibly bump Laughton up to that line and slot Lehtera or even Vecchione on the fourth in place of Laughton?

11 minutes ago, vis said:

Was it you who was thinking he should be sent back to junior before the season started?

Yes it was. And i still stand by that.

And that isn't anything against him.

I just still see things he can get better at and one is his confidence with the puck and shooting it on on net instead of looking to pass always.

I don't think it would hurt him confidence wise...however yeah i expect him to be upset but let him go back and get on his game again in Brandon then it will set him up for big things next year plus he'll now know what to expect next year in the NHL and hopefully know where he needs to get better.

As he has stated already he needs to work on faceoffs. And get his scoring shot back.

Then he can make a bigger impact next year i think. Plus with his contract sliding the Flyers would get him as a 22 year old on his last year of his contract. That could be huge cap wise with all these guys needing new deals the next couple of years.

11 minutes ago, vis said:

In terms of replacement, could they possibly bump Laughton up to that line and slot Lehtera or even Vecchione on the fourth in place of Laughton?

Sure there are still options on who to move into his spot.

33 minutes ago, vis said:

Surprised that Hagg has risen above all of them.  He's been very good.

Hagg plays a different type of game and is comfortable staying within the parameters of the system - which is a tremendous asset for some of your defensive corps, especially if you want players like Ghost and Sanheim playing on the offensive edge.

I've pretty much given up trying to figure out why Hakstol does some of the things he does with playing time.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Hagg plays a different type of game and is comfortable staying within the parameters of the system

Yes he makes them harder to play against.

giphy.gif

We always said maybe one of the fab 5 might not make it. I don't think he has anything to worry about he will only get better.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

I've pretty much given up trying to figure out why Hakstol does some of the things he does with playing time.

I'm at my wits end here to....like to continue to put Elliot in net when Neuvy has clearly out played him in every game he has gotten a chance to play in.

37 minutes ago, radoran said:

Pretty much.  Frustrating at times...

I hope when the fans are voting they have Patrick best interest in mind not just the Flyers current issue at center.

You don't want to short change a kid for immediate returns when they could have more long term effects.

His development sure be the priority.

For the record, I could go either way, but to err on the side of caution in this situation isn't the worst idea.

The flip side is that he hasn't been a part of his Junior team and coming back to them off injury is a worry in terms of him getting a "full season" in a top role.

His injury status is surely the major concern at this point.

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

The flip side is that he hasn't been a part of his Junior team and coming back to them off injury is a worry in terms of him getting a "full season" in a top role.

Brandon would welcome him back with open arms and it would bump Jayce Hawryluk down to #2 center and make them better.

And great year from him could go a long ways. A good playoff run maybe in his future.

However i could see them keeping him. I want what is best for him.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope he is ok after this head to the head against the glass...

giphy.gif

So why is this not considered a blind side hit?

I have no doubt that if the jerseys were reversed, we would be getting a suspension  

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Brandon would welcome him back with open arms and it would bump Jayce Hawryluk down to #2 center and make them better.

And great year from him could go a long ways. A good playoff run maybe in his future.

Sure, but I'm talking about in terms of already missing 13 games of the season and potentially missing more time pending the results of the hit and then coming in as a recovering-from-injury player.

Not exactly the ideal recipe for having a "great" year, but could result in a playoff run.

What's best for the player's development (and safety for that matter) at this stage is always paramount.

32 minutes ago, radoran said:

What's best for the player's development (and safety for that matter) at this stage is always paramount.

This...

He is not getting sent down anytime soon.  I would think he will be out of the lineup for a while and I just hope he takes his time coming back at 100%.   To me, it was a clean hit and just a freak accident.   

We are how many games in and folks are already dogging the #2 overall pick?!?   Gotta love Flyers fans...

And I will say it again - folks were saying the same thing after Prov's start last year.   It is going to take time for the kid to feel comfortable in the NHL - maybe longer since he has not played that many games over the last year or so.

TK isn't exactly lighting it up this year either...   they have the same amount of points.     

Archived