Nolan Patrick - Stay or go?

brelic

Patrick - Stay or go?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers keep Nolan Patrick on the roster, or send him back to the WHL?

• Stay on the Flyers
    • Back to the WHL

7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

If you send him back down to juniors now, you will hurt his confidence, if not his pride, and game overall. They aren't going anywhere this season anyway, so they shouldn't screw with his mind. They need to keep him here now that he's here.

I doubt it. Top level picks aren't fragile little wallflowers.

In hindsight, they should have approached this the way they did with Lindros. He was drafted in 1991, and didn't play for the Flyers until 1992.

Huh? The Flyers didn't draft him, and he wasn't acquired until the summer of '92 in the biggest trade in team history.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, brelic said:

In hindsight, they should have approached this the way they did with Lindros. He was drafted in 1991, and didn't play for the Flyers until 1992.

Huh? The Flyers didn't draft him, and he wasn't acquired until the summer of '92 in the biggest trade in team history.

What I said was he was drafted 1991. I DID NOT say the Flyers drafted him. He was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Not to jump into you guys discussion (and not meant to detract from the topic) but just wanted to point a fact many forget or don't know that Lindros also refused to play for the Sault. Ste. Marie Greyhounds before being traded to Oshawa Generals.

The part i don't know and pose this to anyone who can help me why didn't he want to play for the Greyhounds?

@flyercanuck

@Podein25

@jammer2

Anyone who knows why please respond to this please.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No.

Don't keep me in suspense what gives??? :rage:

Let's just say the Soo is not exactly downtown Toronto. Eric was from London, ON, which is one of Canada's wealthiest postal codes. He played Midget in Toronto. I really don't know why he wouldn't report to the Soo, I can only assume it has to do with it being a steel/pulp town in the middle of nowhere. I could be wrong though. Maybe he just hates dogs.

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Let's just say the Soo is not exactly downtown Toronto. Eric was from London, ON, which is one of Canada's wealthiest postal codes. He played Midget in Toronto. I really don't know why he wouldn't report to the Soo, I can only assume it has to do with it being a steel/pulp town in the middle of nowhere. I could be wrong though. Maybe he just hates dogs.

Oh sounds like it was the white hood/blue collar town?

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not to jump into you guys discussion (and not meant to detract from the topic) but just wanted to point a fact many forget or don't know that Lindros also refused to play for the Sault. Ste. Marie Greyhounds before being traded to Oshawa Generals.

The part i don't know and pose this to anyone who can help me why didn't he want to play for the Greyhounds?

@flyercanuck

@Podein25

@jammer2

Anyone who knows why please respond to this please.

That was all pulled by his Dad, aka his agent. His dad felt that Eric's talents would be wasted on a team like the Sault, and Oshawa had a better chance of winning. Back then, his parents made all the decisions for Eric...a trend that continued through life, unfortunately. His Mom and Dad also decided that he would not report to Quebec. 

They felt from day 1 that Eric was so special that the rules that applied to the common folk did not have to be adhered to by the Fresh Prince of Bel London. 

Just now, jammer2 said:

That was all pulled by his Dad, aka his agent. His dad felt that Eric's talents would be wasted on a team like the Sault, and Oshawa had a better chance of winning. Back then, his parents made all the decisions for Eric...a trend that continued through life, unfortunately. His Mom and Dad also decided that he would not report to Quebec. 

Thanks for the info. I knew they were involved with the whole fiasco once he got drafted by the Nords but didn't realize it went all the way back to junior like that.

Didn't the Soo get the last laugh by beating Oshawa in the memorial Cup too??

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

What I said was he was drafted 1991. I DID NOT say the Flyers drafted him. He was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques.

Ok, so what did you mean when you said they should approach Patrick the same way they approached Lindros? What approach did the Flyers use with Lindros?

I guarantee that if the Flyers had drafted Lindros, he would have played in the NHL in his draft year.

5 hours ago, brelic said:

Ok, so what did you mean when you said they should approach Patrick the same way they approached Lindros? What approach did the Flyers use with Lindros?

I guarantee that if the Flyers had drafted Lindros, he would have played in the NHL in his draft year.

The approach I am talking about is now that Patrick HAS played with the big club, you can't send him back down to the minors. In Lindros case, his rookie year was tremendous with 41 goals and 75 points...but even if had struggled for a long stretch of time, there's no way they would have done anything but keep him with the big club.

Archived