Nightmare in the desert

yave1964

Image result for desert skeleton This was supposed to be a new beginning in Arizona. So far this season the "Yotes are winless in 9 games to begin the year. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss apparently.

It is hard to fault wunderkind GM John Chayka, he parted ways with long time Coyote coach Dave Tippett and his dump and chase approach, he shipped out talented but brittle Marty Hanzal, said goodbye to Radim Vrbata because he can score but never met a check he would finish, moved out talented Mike Smith who has been generously putting it inconsistent, talented Burmistrov and DeAngelo were too enigmatic and were dispatched, and the biggie, Mr. Coyote himself Shane Doan was not resigned, given a gold watch and a copy of the home game in spite of wanting to return by a GM who is younger than he is.

In their place, Derek Stepan was brought in to be a 1C that has been missing, Antti Raanta came over from the Rags as well to fill the net, Jason Demers and Nick Hjalmarsson came aboard to provide veteran leadership on the back end and team with Goligoski and OEL to give the Coyotes their best defense since.....well since forever.

And the kids, Clayton Keller brought a full toolbox in to play with Max Domi, Duclair, Reider and Dvorak, Strome was banging on the door demanding to make the team, Mario Kempe was an under the radar Euro signee with promise. Throw in guys like Perlini and Crouse as well. With an offensive minded coach like new head coach Rick Tocchet and the future is so bright that in the desert you just gotta wear shades.

Well it has been an abysmal nightmare from Hell. Raanta cannot stay healthy, Louis Domingue is still Louis Domingue, the defense has not jelled one bit, OEL looks lost and is -10 thru 9 games, I know plus/minus can be overstated but he is on the ice for over a goal a game more than his team scores, he is simply awful so far. Stepan is playing his heart out and saying all the right things, Keller has looked real good as has Domi but the rest of the forwards almost to a man have bombed. 

Overall the team in 9 games has been outscored 36-21, almost a two to one ratio.

I pretty much applauded the moves as necessary and long overdue, Tippett, Vrbata, Hanzal, smith and Doan were all part of the culture of losing and showing them the door and replacing them with guys such as Tocchet who won a cup in his playing days and has been a key assistant for the back to back Penguin cups was a great signee, Hjalmarsson won three cups with the Hawks, Demers saw some nice moments with the Sharks, Stepan and Raanta were part of the winning culture in New York. Frankly every single move on paper looked like the right move.

On paper. Apparently someone forgot to tell these guys that you play the game on ice. At this pace they are going to make Chayka old before his time.

I love Rick Tocchet, the player and assistant coach. 

He's not a head coach. As a player, he was a great A. He wasn't the C.  I'm sorry, he's not the guy. It was a horrible hire out of the gate. I have no idea what better option was out there, but he just wouldn't have been my pick. 

Not much he can do with the goaltending.  In a gym class of 20, I pick him for my team only if Niemi is in the class and I was lucky to pick first. 

I know Raanta has been hurt. I actually liked him as a steady backup. I don't believe he's an NHL starter. Time will tell, but... 

I think Tocchet is the sacrificial lamb. But the GM made some critical mistakes. 

They need a defense out coach. I know they had that, but that's what they need. I agreed with firing Tippet because they need a new voice. But they need someone building a system that works outward. 

They'll win eventually. But they'll suffer until a coaching change and they get a goalie. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I love Rick Tocchet, the player and assistant coach. 

He's not a head coach. As a player, he was a great A. He wasn't the C.  I'm sorry, he's not the guy. It was a horrible hire out of the gate. I have no idea what better option was out there, but he just wouldn't have been my pick. 

Not much he can do with the goaltending.  In a gym class of 20, I pick him for my team only if Niemi is in the class and I was lucky to pick first. 

I know Raanta has been hurt. I actually liked him as a steady backup. I don't believe he's an NHL starter. Time will tell, but... 

I think Tocchet is the sacrificial lamb. But the GM made some critical mistakes. 

They need a defense out coach. I know they had that, but that's what they need. I agreed with firing Tippet because they need a new voice. But they need someone building a system that works outward. 

They'll win eventually. But they'll suffer until a coaching change and they get a goalie. 

Thirty-nine goals against in 8 games doesn't come close to get it done. No worries for Toch...he'll fix the Flyers next season. :VeryCool:

This is really puzzling.

Last season, I proclaimed the Coyotes were ready for 'prime time'.

Obviously, that was in error, but at the very least, the team looked like they were finally starting to "get it" and did a good job of relieving themselves of players and contracts that had no long term viability and looking towards the future with young, exciting players.

Then, this offseason, that seemingly continued and Arizona looked like they would at least be competitive for a playoff spot.

I think there are many that still aren't sold on the Yotes, and with good reason.... but did anyone see this team STILL being winless 10 or 11 games in..........and looking quite AWFUL in the process as well??

Probably not.

Still way too early to start throwing dirt on the Arizona grave, but man, do these guys have a LOT of work to do!

I know the evolution of a champion can sometimes take quite a while, but the way this team has gone about its business to start the season, DE-evolution seems more appropriate!

There won't be a better time for this team to get off doormat status than now. 

The Pacific Division isn't exactly rife with teams doing well outside of the Kings (and Vegas, but I think many expect them to come back down to earth soon enough), so what better time for the Yotes' young players to continue taking their next steps towards NHL stars than now?

Some games have already been wasted but there are still plenty more points to be had on the season.

Perhaps if they can get Raanta back in net soon, it can help stabilize the team, I dunno.

But even if Raanta gets back, healthy, and playing well, the rest of the squad has to realize, THEY need to score goals. THEY need to prevent quality chances against their goalie. And THEY need to put the league on notice that they aren't the same easy win they seemed to be to start the season.

It's not panic time yet in the desert, but man, they are coming awfully close to it....

1 hour ago, Leach27 said:

Quebec City!!

Yeah. They don't deserve a team. 

Even if they did, my money is on Houston. They have an arena, they have the 4th largest metro population in the US and they are western conference located.  Coyotes move there, then northwest gets an expansion. 

Just my prediction, mind you, but it makes sense to me. 

Up 3-1 in New Jersey they still managed to lose 4-3. I didn't have a horse in the race but found myself rooting for the Coyotes to finally get one under their belt. Watching the second half of the game was like watching a car sliding on ice towards a cliff.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:28 PM, ruxpin said:

You cannot have a competitive team at that payroll. They're not even trying. 

How long until the team is relocated to Houston? 

How about Reno?  :bonkingheadonwall:

(I'm trying to think of more cities in Arizona and Nevada that the NHL hasn't tried yet.)

• 9 months later...

Archived