Ho Hum...

B21

Amazing what a group of "cast offs", rookie players and over the hill players can accomplish when playing with a chip on their collective shoulders, hard work, and just playing as a unit with no real superstars to defer to.

In addition to that, the NHL, as a whole has more talent than ever before.

So I believe these expansion Knights had an advantage that past teams didn't:  a better pool of talent to pick from each team.

Cap crunches against certain teams helped the Knights too as some high priced players that other teams probably would not have exposed were forced to.

But, at the end of the day, the Knights are still an expansion group and emotion can take a team only so far.

While I agree they are a great early season story (and the fans over there, whether actual Nevadans or 'passing through' fans) are certainly eating it up right now, things will even out on the balance of the season, and they will be passed up by teams who are better suited for post season play.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Amazing what a group of "cast offs", rookie players and over the hill players can accomplish when playing with a chip on their collective shoulders, hard work, and just playing as a unit with no real superstars to defer to.

In addition to that, the NHL, as a whole has more talent than ever before.

So I believe these expansion Knights had an advantage that past teams didn't:  a better pool of talent to pick from each team.

Cap crunches against certain teams helped the Knights too as some high priced players that other teams probably would not have exposed were forced to.

But, at the end of the day, the Knights are still an expansion group and emotion can take a team only so far.

While I agree they are a great early season story (and the fans over there, whether actual Nevadans or 'passing through' fans) are certainly eating it up right now, things will even out on the balance of the season, and they will be passed up by teams who are better suited for post season play.

It's a long shot - sure.  But just looking at the math.....

If they are ".500" the rest of the way - 1 point per game on average for 73 games - that's 99 points which would have put them 3rd in the Pacific last year. 

Not likely but a start like this makes it a lot more doable.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, B21 said:

Bump! 

38 GP

27-9-2

1st in the Pacific...3 points clear of the Kings with 2 games in hand...

+29 goal differential which is tied for 2nd best in the NHL...

Still selling high @TropicalFruitGirl26 or are you a believer yet? :haha:

I must admit, it is getting tougher and tougher to bet against the Knights.

I sorta stopped waiting for them to fail a while back now and I will give them their props, although the post season, should they actually get in, will REALLY tell us who this team is.

Yea, I'm afraid since they are still a first year team, doubts will still swirl through my mind, but again, they are dispelling many of those doubts as the season wears along.

I will be one of the first to congratulate them on a job well done should they get into the post season and put up a good showing (even if they get eliminated).

Then after that, I want to see what the ownership and GM will do with this bunch.

Will they continue to build off the success? (I hope that's the route he takes)

or will he pull a Jeff Loria (former owner of MLB's then Florida Marlins) and build a winner, only to dismantle it for prospects and picks, leaving fans in disgust....then repeating the process all over again, making near impossible to build up a solid fanbase?

We shall see.

But for right now, Vegas is playing awesome hockey, they are fun to watch, and are trouble for any team that plays them.

Kudos to Gerard Gallant and his staff for the job they are doing with those guys over there.

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I must admit, it is getting tougher and tougher to bet against the Knights.

I sorta stopped waiting for them to fail a while back now and I will give them their props, although the post season, should they actually get in, will REALLY tell us who this team is.

Yea, I'm afraid since they are still a first year team, doubts will still swirl through my mind, but again, they are dispelling many of those doubts as the season wears along.

I will be one of the first to congratulate them on a job well done should they get into the post season and put up a good showing (even if they get eliminated).

Then after that, I want to see what the ownership and GM will do with this bunch.

Will they continue to build off the success? (I hope that's the route he takes)

or will he pull a Jeff Loria (former owner of MLB's then Florida Marlins) and build a winner, only to dismantle it for prospects and picks, leaving fans in disgust....then repeating the process all over again, making near impossible to build up a solid fanbase?

We shall see.

But for right now, Vegas is playing awesome hockey, they are fun to watch, and are trouble for any team that plays them.

Kudos to Gerard Gallant and his staff for the job they are doing with those guys over there.

Luckily for the Knights (and unfortunately for baseball) there is a salary cap in the NHL so I wouldn't expect a Marlins-like sell off.  I'm still 50/50 on them winning the division but fully expect them to make the playoffs at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

Ho hum. 72 points. Leads the West. One behind the Bolts for the Presidents' Trophy. Over half the league has a game in hand on them, too.

If Gerard Gallant doesn't unanimously win the Jack Adams then an investigation is needed. And by unanimously, he should have every 1st, 2nd and 3rd place vote. 

Archived