Jeckyl and Hyde ?

mojo1917

So, when the Pens lose they really lose, like, by a lot.

I haven't watch too many Pens games yet.  What I have noticed in the scores is they are either winning 2 or 3 in a row or getting blown out.  Are these drubbings a result of Murray resting and the #2 guy not being up to snuff ?

I know Niemi is no longer able to ruin things for the Pens, is " the insert the #2 guy's name here" just as sorry ?

It just seems odd to me that they play well for a couple of nights then seemingly everyone takes the night off, any insight into this.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I haven't watch too many Pens games yet.  What I have noticed in the scores is they are either winning 2 or 3 in a row or getting blown out.  Are these drubbings a result of Murray resting and the #2 guy not being up to snuff ?

I know Niemi is no longer able to ruin things for the Pens, is " the insert the #2 guy's name here" just as sorry ?

It just seems odd to me that they play well for a couple of nights then seemingly everyone takes the night off, any insight into this.

I'm guessing they aren't familiar with the new number 2 goaltender on how he reacts to shots and rebounds. Fleury seemed like he had no idea where the rebound went thus looking like a fish out of water! 

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The common theme on all these blowouts was that they were the 2nd game of a back-to-back on the road with Niemi getting the nod.  This latest fiasco was Murray's first double dip.

The good news is that they have 4 of these BTB scenarios out of the way. Bad news is they have 15 more to go (Pens have a league leading 19 BTB this year). So they go 63-19. :VeryCool:

It's been a combination of poor play in the defensive end and poor goaltending. 

Only 5 teams have more points than the Pens. Only 3 teams have a worse goal differential. Go figure.

We'll see. I think its really hard to get up for regular season games day in and day out.  But to through the two cup runs that that they did, I think that it HAS to wear on the core.  Toss in world cup hear and there, and there's not much recovery time either. 

3 hours ago, nossagog said:

We'll see. I think its really hard to get up for regular season games day in and day out.  But to through the two cup runs that that they did, I think that it HAS to wear on the core.  Toss in world cup hear and there, and there's not much recovery time either. 

0-0 after 2 against the Flames in the now-dreaded 2nd game of a BTB...

#improvement

8 hours ago, B21 said:

0-0 after 2 against the Flames in the now-dreaded 2nd game of a BTB...

#improvement

At least we got a point B.  That's improvement.    And the play of Jarry last night gives me more hope. He deserved a lot better from that game.  He looked very solid in net and his positioning and technique looked great. 

Archived