2018 NHL draft

OccamsRazor

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So when i look at that depth and the fact as you stated how good Bouchard will be QBing the powerplay i just think it is waaaaaaay harder to find right handed Dmen with his skillset...

Valid point, we shall see. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah.  I was actually okay with him in the defensive end.  Yeah, I wish he'd used his size more but he was decent.   But when he crossed even the red line it was like he'd entered the Dementalized Zone.

19 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Don't want to get to far off topic, but it really hard to believe that a professional athlete could not even improve a bit....show just a tad of poise, that is what Coburn sorely lacked ....any semblance of poise. 

..and the sad thing about Coburn is look at his first full season in Philadelphia and he was an actual two-way defenseman that had 40 to 50 point upside. But as once he was hit in the face by the puck, that changed everything. He was never the same after that. Such a shame too.

Tis totally true. That puck to the face created built in hesitation for the rest of his playing days. Everyone is affected by that kinda thing differently.....but I will make the general statement that Sask. boys are usually a bit tougher than that.....just say'in. 

On 5/12/2018 at 12:10 AM, ruxpin said:

Not sure. I'm probably not the best person to ask. I don't have any kind of educated opinion as far as Dahlin goes. There are others here who would have had more eyeballs on him. I don't actually know if he's NHL ready for next year or if he'll be in juniors one more year.  I'm not sure that they'd pair them in Dahlin's rookie year (but no particular reason they wouldn't), but I would have to imagine they'd be paired eventually unless they trade for /sign sometime like a Doughty. 

I think bringing up a goalie at 19 or 20 would be horrible management malpractice. They'd destroy him. He's currently a top 10 prospect in goal, so I wouldn't rush him, especially since there's no real hurry (except that none of us are getting any younger!). All I mean by that is that Risto, Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin (assuming) are all really young. If Buffalo is a lottery team again next year it would suck from a fan perspective but wouldn't hurt the Sabres in the grand scheme of things. The core would be mid-twenties in time for your possible franchise goalie to arrive. Not a horrible situation. 

But i think you're right that if Lehner isn't the guy, you'll probably want to get someone to at least competently split time with Linus.  

From your description of his shootout abilities, it sounds like Lehner would make the quintessential Flyer goalie. 

He never learns from his mistakes on breakaways and shootouts.  A SO is basically a breakaway, a clean breakaway.  It was one thing Miller had over Hasek.  His ability on breakaway's.  I would at least consider putting the Finnish kid in Rochester next year.  That is not such a big deal.  And Dahlin has to be NHL ready or he would not be the number one guy on that list  In 1970, our first year of existence, we won a coin flip with Vancouver for the first pick  The result.  A guy named Gilbert Perrault. The guy Wayne Gretky idolized coming up.  The most exciting player I have ever seen.  He had acceleration like no other. I saw how fast he was.  It was breath taking to watch.  The explosiveness he had.  He is and always will be the best Sabre in history unless someone like Eichel really goes nuts. He was what a number one pick is supposed to be. He made them better right away.   You had to account for him.  When he got Robert and Martin, it was like a power play every time they were on the ice.  We need this team to come out like they did after the lockout. When we had Drury and Briere together. 

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I would at least consider putting the Finnish kid in Rochester next year.  

Honestly, I'd keep Luukkonen in SM-liiga at least one more year. It's actually arguably a better league. Plus, they don't have to sign him yet so his clock doesn't start ticking. I think they have to sign him by the end of his third season after being drafted or he goes back.  The smart play both for development and for contract, I think, is to keep him unsigned and in Finland. 

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, I'd keep Luukkonen in SM-liiga at least one more year. It's actually arguably a better league. Plus, they don't have to sign him yet so his clock doesn't start ticking. I think they have to sign him by the end of his third season after being drafted or he goes back.  The smart play both for development and for contract, I think, is to keep him unsigned and in Finland. 

Well I guess that depends on how high they are on him actually being the answer long term?   I have more info on what the Bills are thinking than the Sabres.  Botterill seems to be a smart guy that is dedicated to Kim and Terry Pegula.  I mention Kim first because I think she is the true brains of this.

6 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I guess that depends on how high they are on him actually being the answer long term?   I have more info on what the Bills are thinking than the Sabres.  Botterill seems to be a smart guy that is dedicated to Kim and Terry Pegula.  I mention Kim first because I think she is the true brains of this.

The bolded may be true.  Seems like his first love is football, so hockey might be her.  Seriously, though.  My opinion isn't really Sabres-specific, so inside info there would certainly trump general theory, but if they are really high on him, they should keep him in SM-liiga rather than the AHL.  It's a better league and he'll face better competition.  At least one more season (probably two, but at least one), and then bring him over to the AHL.  He'll need to play there a bit to acclimate to the different angles the North American surface size presents.  Then, you might have your goalie.

I don't think Ullmark is bad, so you'll be okay until then.  Just have to decide whether Lehner is your backup for the time-being or go outside for someone else.   

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The bolded may be true.  Seems like his first love is football, so hockey might be her.  Seriously, though.  My opinion isn't really Sabres-specific, so inside info there would certainly trump general theory, but if they are really high on him, they should keep him in SM-liiga rather than the AHL.  It's a better league and he'll face better competition.  At least one more season (probably two, but at least one), and then bring him over to the AHL.  He'll need to play there a bit to acclimate to the different angles the North American surface size presents.  Then, you might have your goalie.

I don't think Ullmark is bad, so you'll be okay until then.  Just have to decide whether Lehner is your backup for the time-being or go outside for someone else.   

I am hoping to wake up one morning soon and see that Botteril has pulled the trigger and released Lehner and picked up someone on the market.  Right now Ullmark is slated as the backup for sure.  Lehner the starter and I do not think he deserves it.  Sure he played well during regulation at times.   I mean far better than Chad Johnson the phony that he is.  But there are alot of shootouts.  And Lehner sucks my balls.  Get rid of him.  Go get Jhonas Enroth and make him the bloody starter.  

Maybe keeping Lehner is the big part of the master plan?. Tank one more year, get another top 5 pick and then start trying to win. You can make a realistic argument that having the young core get used to losing may be damaging. ..but keeping Lehner would net you a very high draft pick...would hate to be a season ticket holder paying good money to see him play....

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Tank one more year, get another top 5 pick and then start trying to win.

Yeah looks like they got this thing down...if only the could figure out how to win games as consistently. :hehe:

• pilldoc pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

My preference of players in order at the draft for the 7th overall pick by the Canucks

1.Quinton Hughes 

2. Adam Boqvist 

3.Evan Bouchard 

4. Wahlstrom 

5. Noah Dobson 

6. Brady Tkachuk 

2 or 3 of these players will be available by the time its Vancouvers turn to pick at 7, we need another couple of solid defense prospects and one of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson would be great, but Jim Benning has mentioned taking a forward (Wahlstrom, Tkachuk) or best player available isn't out of the question, should be interesting! 

By the way, glad to see some familiar faces, thanks to Creaseandassist for the invite! Cheers 

5 hours ago, DJ Ricky said:

My preference of players in order at the draft for the 7th overall pick by the Canucks

1.Quinton Hughes 

2. Adam Boqvist 

3.Evan Bouchard 

4. Wahlstrom 

5. Noah Dobson 

6. Brady Tkachuk 

2 or 3 of these players will be available by the time its Vancouvers turn to pick at 7, we need another couple of solid defense prospects and one of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson would be great, but Jim Benning has mentioned taking a forward (Wahlstrom, Tkachuk) or best player available isn't out of the question, should be interesting! 

By the way, glad to see some familiar faces, thanks to Creaseandassist for the invite! Cheers 

...Welcome, we can sure use another Nucks fan in here!!  

My order would go....

1)Wahlstrom

2)Dobson

3)Tkachuk

4)Bouchard

5)Hughes

6)Boqvist

25 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Does anyone know if this Boston U kid Tkachuk is related to the old NHL veteran who played for the Rangers and some others?  

Yes. He's the younger son of Keith Tkachuk and younger brother of Matt Tkachuk playing with the Flames. 

Except Keith Tkachuk was never a Ranger. He spent most of his career on the Jets (Original) and went with them to Phoenix. Played for years there and then played the last 9 years or so with St. Louis. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yes. He's the younger son of Keith Tkachuk and younger brother of Matt Tkachuk playing with the Flames. 

Except Keith Tkachuk was never a Ranger. He spent most of his career on the Jets (Original) and went with them to Phoenix. Played for years there and then played the last 9 years or so with St. Louis. 

Thanks but I was quite sure the Rangers had someone of that name once?  If even for a short time?  I guess I am wrong

6 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Thanks but I was quite sure the Rangers had someone of that name once?  If even for a short time?  I guess I am wrong

I don't think so, though it's possible. 

8 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

There was actually Grant Tkachuk on the Rochester Americans in 1989. He was drafted in the 9th round by Buffalo in 1987.  89-90 is the last year I see stats for him (IHL, so only the one year in Rochester). 

I had no idea. Just found him on hockeydb.com.  I have no idea if he's related in some way to the others or not.  Maybe an older brother of Keith. I don't know. 

I'm not finding anyone associated with the Rangers, so possibly a similar name.  Not sure. 

41 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You are correct sir...Walt Tkaczuk  played for the Rangers. 

51 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You are correct sir...Walt Tkaczuk  played for the Rangers. 

Thank you!  Didn't come across him on my phone.  Is he related?

56 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Nope....different spelling......played 17 seasons!

Well, that explains why I didn't find it quickly on my search. So I wasn't completely insane; just my baseline "pretty insane." 

Just gonna throw this into the thread....Spit's expected to go this year...

1)Curtis Douglas....rated anywhere from 55 to 85....he is by far the biggest player in the draft. He's 6'8 and change...and weighs in at approx 232 to 240. Thing is, kid has ok hands, but can't skate a lick. Usually I just dismiss guys like this, BUT, it could be his body has not really adapted to his size type of thing. He looks uncoordinated though, and you usually can't fix that. 

2) Connor Cochoran.....This kid is REAL interesting. His rookie year he barely played cause of our Memorial Cup run/win. In fact, they played the lifelong dman at C just to get him into games. Rook year was a right off. He showed limited offense in his 2nd year, but only gained pp time at the end of the year. Thing is....this kids stride, it is breathtaking....like straight up beautiful, a lot like Scott Niedermeyer only less speed. A right hand shot....if he lasts past the 5th round, something is wrong. I think he goes early 4 cause of his skating. 

3)Matthew McDougall....might be the most talented of these 3 draft eligible Spits. Nice hands, speed, IQ, but a tad undersized. Could be a home run for somebody. Prob 5th or 6th rnd. 

@DJ Ricky Ricky, I'd probably want Brady Tkachuk if he's available.  He'll drive the rest of your division crazy, especially Calgary when that sibling rivalry boils over.  Wahlstrom is good, but there is something about his skating that bothers me...Boqvist or Hughes would be decent picks too.  

Archived