2018 NHL draft

OccamsRazor

Just felt  like starting a draft thread and thought i would put this here.

MONTREAL, CANADA - JANUARY 4: Canada's Thomas Chabot #5 stick checks Sweden's Rasmus Dahlin #8 during semifinal round action at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship. (Photo by Matt Zambonin/HHOF-IIHF Images)

McKeen’s 2018 NHL Preliminary Draft Rankings

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-2018-nhl-preliminary-draft-rankings/

ANK PLAYER POS TEAM HT/WT DOB GP-G-A-PTS
1 Rasmus Dahlin D Frolunda (Swe) 6-2/185 13-Apr-00 14-3-3-6
2 Andrei Svechnikov RW Barrie (OHL) 6-2/185 26-Mar-00 10-10-4-14
3 Adam Boqvist D Brynas (Swe Jr) 5-11/170 15-Aug-00 10-3-6-9
4 Quinn Hughes D Michigan (B1G) 5-10/175 14-Oct-99 6-1-2-3
5 Filip Zadina RW Halifax (QMJHL) 6-0/200 27-Nov-99 16-12-12-24
6 Brady Tkachuk LW Boston University (HE) 6-3/195 16-Sep-99 8-0-5-5
7 Oliver Wahlstrom RW NTDP (USA) 6-1/205 13-Jun-00 12-11-9-20
8 Joe Veleno C Saint John (QMJHL) 6-1/195 13-Jan-00 17-2-13-15
9 Jared McIsaac D Halifax (QMJHL) 6-1/195 27-Mar-00 15-0-6-6
10 Ty Smith D Spokane (WHL) 5-10/180 24-Mar-00 16-2-13-15
11 Akil Thomas C Niagara (OHL) 5-11/170 2-Jan-00 14-5-11-16
12 Ryan Merkley D Guelph (OHL) 5-11/170 14-Aug-00 15-4-11-15
13 Ryan McLeod C Mississauga (OHL) 6-2/200 21-Sep-99 14-6-10-16
14 Joel Farabee LW NTDP (USA) 5-11/165 25-Feb-00 12-10-6-16
15 Isac Lundestrom C Lulea (Swe) 6-0/185 6-Nov-99 15-3-4-7
16 Barrett Hayton C Sault Ste Marie (OHL) 6-1/190 9-Jun-00 14-6-8-14
17 Jesperi Kotkaniemi C Assat Pori (Fin) 6-1/190 6-Jul-00 19-5-4-9
18 Rasmus Kupari C Karpat Oulu (Fin) 6-1/185 15-Mar-00 16-3-1-4
19 Benoit-Olivier Groulx LW Halifax (QMJHL) 6-1/195 6-Feb-00 16-8-6-14
20 Noah Dobson D Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL) 6-3/180 7-Jan-00 17-1-15-16
21 Jacob Olofsson C Timra (Swe 2) 6-2/190 8-Feb-00 13-4-2-6
22 Serron Noel RW Oshawa (OHL) 6-5/200 8-Aug-00 11-10-4-14
23 Jett Woo D Moose Jaw (WHL) 6-0/205 27-Jul-00 14-6-8-14
24 Bode Wilde D NTDP (USA) 6-2/195 24-Jan-00 12-3-8-11
25 Jack McBain C Toronto Jr Canadiens (OJHL) 6-3/195 6-Jan-00 20-6-18-24
26 Calen Addison D Lethbridge (WHL) 5-10/180 11-Apr-00 13-3-11-14
27 Adam Ginning D Linkopings (Swe) 6-3/195 13-Jan-00 7-0-0-0
28 Ty Dellandrea C Flint (OHL) 6-0/190 21-Jul-00 14-6-5-11
29 Jesse Ylonen RW Espoo United (Fin 2) 6-0/165 3-Oct-99 10-1-3-4
30 Allan McShane C Oshawa (OHL) 5-11/190 14-Feb-00 15-2-16-18
31 Rasmus Sandin D Sault Ste Marie (OHL) 5-11/190 7-Mar-00 2-0-1-1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have already heard the Yotes are "fall'in for Dahlin"....lol. Pretty cool fc will be able to keep us up to date on the Russian kid ranked #2. Last year, I noticed Hayton right away, he was 16 and stuck out big time. Plays a complete game and mature beyond his years. Sound positional play, nice hands. Plus, we can have input from Joe on the Halifax kid. Have a lot of bases covered here. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Introducing Jacob Ingham. The Barrie native plays for the Missauaga Steelheads of the OHL He's the top ranked goalie right now for the 18 draft. Seems to be very impressive. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-draft-prospect-jacob-ingham/

Nice. 18 year old goalies are real hard to project.

Luckily i think they Flyers have two really good ones in Hart and Sandstrom.

The good news about the upcoming draft is the Flyers are so stacked throughout their system they can truly afford to just take the BPA with their picks.

I can also see them moving their 2 1st to move up maybe or even moving one of them to add to later drafts.

The best news is Hextall has several options.

Always great to have.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:52 PM, jammer2 said:

I have already heard the Yotes are "fall'in for Dahlin"....lol. Pretty cool fc will be able to keep us up to date on the Russian kid ranked #2. Last year, I noticed Hayton right away, he was 16 and stuck out big time. Plays a complete game and mature beyond his years. Sound positional play, nice hands. Plus, we can have input from Joe on the Halifax kid. Have a lot of bases covered here. 

He's been out for weeks with a hand injury...looked pretty impressive before it happened.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nice. 18 year old goalies are real hard to project.

Luckily i think they Flyers have two really good ones in Hart and Sandstrom.

The good news about the upcoming draft is the Flyers are so stacked throughout their system they can truly afford to just take the BPA with their picks.

I can also see them moving their 2 1st to move up maybe or even moving one of them to add to later drafts.

The best news is Hextall has several options.

Always great to have.

This draft is very deep. I'd prefer to just stick with our 1sts...maybe even add another. Should be lots of quality picks in the 1st.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

This draft is very deep. I'd prefer to just stick with our 1sts...maybe even add another. Should be lots of quality picks in the 1st.

I would be fine with that.

Today with the salary cap the draft as well as junior to the AHL need to be a revolving door to identify to either replace talent or resign the talent.

Having a stacked group of kids ready to replacing aging vets who are ready for the pasture or want to much will be key to doing that. It looks like the club is on the right path.

• 3 months later...

It'll be interesting to see what some of the teams that stocked up on draft picks do. I wonder if any of them do what Shero did in acquiring players like Palmieri, Johansson, Mueller with those extra picks.

7 hours ago, MadDevil said:

It'll be interesting to see what some of the teams that stocked up on draft picks do. I wonder if any of them do what Shero did in acquiring players like Palmieri, Johansson, Mueller with those extra picks.

What a joke the Palmeri trade turned out to be. Devils get a 26-30 goal scorer, Ducks get a 2nd and 3rd the following year. The second was used to acquire Carl Hagelin, who never fit in, and the 3rd used to secure the rights to Jamie McGinn. Jamie did have a nice playoff, but don't think he's part of the Ducks long term plans. Palmeri is 27, makes the Devils harder to play against and in my opinion, he is the straw that stirs the drink on the Devils to pp. When you are getting a pp point every 0.34 games, you are doing something right, a lot of stars don't hit that number. 

I think next year we see the very best version of Palmeri we are gonna see. I'm saying 34 goals, 29 assists for 63 pts, 21 of them coming on the power play. I bet I'm real close as long as he stays healthy. 

I'm hoping Ron Hextall is creative in moving some of the last heaps of turds on their roster.

Wiese, Lehtera and Mcdud anyone one of those and i would be happy....move two of them and i will need to be incarcerated!!!

Sure wishful thinking.He still has 9 picks regardless of the Mrazek situation...i think once again he will be aggressive.

He did it with Konecny and he did it with Ratcliffe i see him doing it again. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 3:47 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

So is Dahlin that far apart from the rest of the other top prospects?  In other words, are the Sabres pretty much crazy if he is not the pick?

I would say he's slightly better than Svechnikov, but defence is a far more important position than wing. So yes, the Sabres would be nuts not to take him.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:47 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

So is Dahlin that far apart from the rest of the other top prospects?  In other words, are the Sabres pretty much crazy if he is not the pick?

I have read a lot of scouts that directly compare Dahlin to a young Denis Potvin. That is some high praise indeed. I don't know how soon it will come, but he will be scoring with the likes of Karlson on the Sens and very well could be the top offensive Dman in a couple years...and he is super smart, can skate like the wind and even has a physical side. 

35 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I have read a lot of scouts that directly compare Dahlin to a young Denis Potvin. That is some high praise indeed. I don't know how soon it will come, but he will be scoring with the likes of Karlson on the Sens and very well could be the top offensive Dman in a couple years...and he is super smart, can skate like the wind and even has a physical side. 

Of course all this is dependent on whether he can avoid the curse of Buffalosing.

59 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I'm afraid that when Buffalo is done with him, he'll end up looking like an old Dennis Seidenberg.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Of course all this is dependent on whether he can avoid the curse of Buffalosing.

I don't think Eichel has the heart to be a legit franchise center/player, but he does have wicked skill and will pile up the points. I'm convinced Middlestat is a can't miss star, so add Dahlin to those two you start to formulate the makings of respectable young core...and Risto ain't bad either.  They have been stinky, so they should be getting better, but they did get screwed in the last few lotteries also. 

I think most would agree, the fantasy value of Svechnikov and Zadina will take big hits with the likelihood they will wind up on the woeful offenses of the Habs and Hurricanes. A shame, cause if either went to a team with a "legit" top center, they would fill the net. Zadina is Mike Bossy lite, wicked hands, wicked shot....but just as important, the ability and smarts to slip into the soft parts of the defense. Just like Brett Hull, he gets to that "spot" if only for a second, and that is all they needed. Not saying Zadina is comparable to Hull, but that particular part of their game is similar. 

32 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I don't think Eichel has the heart to be a legit franchise center/player, but he does have wicked skill and will pile up the points. I'm convinced Middlestat is a can't miss star, so add Dahlin to those two you start to formulate the makings of respectable young core...and Risto ain't bad either.  They have been stinky, so they should be getting better, but they did get screwed in the last few lotteries also. 

I don't think anyone who tanks gets screwed...they pretty much deserve what they get.

Buffalo has some nice pieces, I've already said that. But it sure is taking them a lot longer to rebuild than it should. 2 first round exits in ten years is about as lame as it gets.

43 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think anyone who tanks gets screwed...they pretty much deserve what they get.

Buffalo has some nice pieces, I've already said that. But it sure is taking them a lot longer to rebuild than it should. 2 first round exits in ten years is about as lame as it gets.

Agreed, they are indeed a pitiful excuse of a franchise. A solid 6 or 7 years with the French Connection, but again, won nothing....and that one measly Finals trip, not a lot to hang your hat on. Hasek...Puppa....the rest, ca-ca. Although, I did like Jerry Korab...old school. 

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I'm afraid that when Buffalo is done with him, he'll end up looking like an old Dennis Seidenberg.

Kinda makes me wonder, how old is HJ and has he been with the Sabres since their inception??  If so, this is gonna be fun to watch. 

Is there *anyone* on the planet worse at predicting things, ......individual games, season outcomes, Cup winners....although he *did* predict the Eagles would beat New England....BUT that was only out of pure hatred for the division rival that has owned the Bills forever. 

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Agreed, they are indeed a pitiful excuse of a franchise. A solid 6 or 7 years with the French Connection, but again, won nothing....and that one measly Finals trip, not a lot to hang your hat on. Hasek...Puppa....the rest, ca-ca. Although, I did like Jerry Korab...old school. 

He was one scary mofo.

Archived