2018 NHL draft

OccamsRazor

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

@DJ Ricky Ricky, I'd probably want Brady Tkachuk if he's available.  He'll drive the rest of your division crazy, especially Calgary when that sibling rivalry boils over.  Wahlstrom is good, but there is something about his skating that bothers me...Boqvist or Hughes would be decent picks too.  

Tkachuk would be a pretty good pick,  Wahlstrom as well, the 1 glaring hole for the Canucks as far as prospects go is lack of defence prospects, Juolevi is coming up, Stecher has been great, but then you have B and C grade guys like Chatfield, Brisebois, Brassard, Gunnarson etc in the system. 

I think adding a Hughes, Boqvist would be massive, these guys will be impact players on the backend, both can move the puck and create offense, great skaters, and then you have guys like Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard who are more stay at home. Evan Bouchard may be the more NHL ready of the 4, he has the best passing ability and the hardest shot. 

Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 7 would be so awesome as well, he's projected to go 3rd but if he was to fall that's a centre that is another Anze Kopitar

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Thanks but I was quite sure the Rangers had someone of that name once?  If even for a short time?  I guess I am wrong

The Rangers had a guy by the name of Walt TKACZUK totally different spelling and absolutely no relation to the Tkachuk clan. In Roenick's book JR he talks about being teammates with Keith Tkachuk, he says everyone in Hockey calls Keith 'Walt' as a nickname because of the similar last names. 

Walt BTW was a pretty good player back in the 70s a solid second liner who played in a couple of SCFs with the Rangers and had himself a nice little career.

@DJ Ricky

First off welcome.

As a Wings fan I am afraid that we are gonna take Hughes ahead of Dobson or Bouchard simply because of size. don't get me wrong, Hughes can play but depending on which publication you read he is either five ten or five nine and around 168 pounds, give me the bigger beefier Bouchard or Dobson any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Hughes. Not saying that Hughes cannot play, far from it, just saying that all else being equal I think that defensively the other two will be better in their own zone with a combo of size/speed. Hughes is lightning fast, I saw him do a Bobby Orr type of rush this past year against Ohio State where he started behind his own net, holding the puck during a line change and when it was complete he went 200 feet weaving through Buckeye and Wolverine players and missed a wraparound because of a great play by Sean Romeo, the Buckeye goalie. Simply insane play. Size is the only worry that I have and it is the one thing that cannot be taught. You can teach technique and positional play, you cannot make someone bigger although I posted elsewhere that Hughes could be a Krug/Barrie type which is pretty damn good.

Been reading McKenzies comments that Zadina falls out of the top five. wow.

A lot of times teams overthink things and instead of going with their brain ADHD sets in or something and they get bored and start playing it around and instead of taking the best player they reach. Not that any of the d-men listed are bad, not at all I would be happy as Hell if the Wings took any of the big four but if Zadina falls to us and Holland doesn't take him I may cancel my NHL season ticket this year. 

The Athletic's Corey Pronman gives one last assessment of the 2018 draft and prospects in general...mailbag style (subscription needed to  view this)

A good read as he answers a ton of questions from fans of just about every team in the league.  Kontkaniemi...sounds way too much Mikko Koivu for me to ever think of picking him.  

9 hours ago, DJ Ricky said:

Tkachuk would be a pretty good pick,  Wahlstrom as well, the 1 glaring hole for the Canucks as far as prospects go is lack of defence prospects, Juolevi is coming up, Stecher has been great, but then you have B and C grade guys like Chatfield, Brisebois, Brassard, Gunnarson etc in the system. 

I think adding a Hughes, Boqvist would be massive, these guys will be impact players on the backend, both can move the puck and create offense, great skaters, and then you have guys like Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard who are more stay at home. Evan Bouchard may be the more NHL ready of the 4, he has the best passing ability and the hardest shot. 

Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 7 would be so awesome as well, he's projected to go 3rd but if he was to fall that's a centre that is another Anze Kopitar

Kopitar is way better than Koivu and Kotkaniemi is more like Koivu IMO so...I'd say pick someone else.  

29 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Just thought this was the place to post this video.

Well i sure hope to see a good season for Rubtsov next year after training with Provocop and the gang...

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i sure hope to see a good season for Rubtsov next year after training with Provocop and the gang...

He needs to lay off the video games first.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

He needs to lay off the video games first.

That is not Rubtsov. Going to rot your brain listening to everything you see on hockeysfuture....that place has gone to sh it...

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is not Rubtsov. Going to rot your brain listening to everything you see on hockeysfuture....that place has gone to sh it...

Tongue in cheek. I never thought it was him, even when the rumor first came out. I just forgot the :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Tongue in cheek. I never thought it was him, even when the rumor first came out. I just forgot the :ph34r:

Ok i was worried.

That place use to be a good place for hockey knowledge but it has gone to crap and is just rapant with know it all 12 year olds who's playstation is broke and all they have is that place...i love the prospect read ups too.

Now it's a wasteland...

There are two sure things at this draft. One, the Sabres will pick Rasmus Dahlin, two, when Gary Bettman first steps up to the podium, a rain of boos and jeers will fill the stadium while poor ol' Gary fidgets and stutters, then smiles and thanks Dallas fans for their southern hospitality. :VeryCool:

2 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Another question is: If Montréal is picking 3rd (they have still not closed the door to a transaction), which prospect will be broken by them?

I'm going for Zadina.

I'm going with Brady Tkachuk ...he is a piece you build a franchise around.

11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Tkachuk? Probably the least skilled player in the top ten.

If they're taking a winger, it's gotta be Zadina. Maybe they go C and take Kotkaniemi. Or try and replace one of the two good young dmen they've already traded away.

Then again, their gm is an idiot...

And there is a high probability that Pacioretty will leave the team. So there's space for another winger. As they need a #1 center and defensemen, they will definitely not pick any of those positions.

Sabres' O'Reilly is also in the rumors to join the Habs.

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Tkachuk? Probably the least skilled player in the top ten.

I was basing it off of his physical play and leadership skills.... but yeah I get your point.

28 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

#StickTap to that...a wise mock draft GM did the same thing, I wonder who...hmm...

I totally forgot you drafted him in our mock! :)   :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

8 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I honestly think Bergevin should be fired for.drafting Tkachuk (I think he should be fired anyway at this point). I wouldn't put it past him because nothing he does make sense to me, but of his options I just think that's a horrific choice at #3.  

I don't think he's actually that good. I think they can do better at center and, failing that, there are better players at defense. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I honestly think Bergevin should be fired for.drafting Tkachuk. I wouldn't put it past him because nothing he does make sense to me, but of his options I just think that's a horrific choice at #3.  

I don't think he's actually that good. I think they can do better at center and, failing that, there are better players at defense. 

and you are probably right ..... I just read scouting reports and try to make a good guess.  There are far better individual who can mock a draft much better than me......

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

and you are probably right ..... I just read scouting reports and try to make a good guess.  There are far better individual who can mock a draft much better than me......

Eh. I don't really have an opinion. Lol

The bolded:  probably, but I'm not one of them.  All just guessing and opinions.  I think he falls to 7-10 while I'm guessing, though. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade back, but my guess at #3 is Kotkaniemi.  It'll be fun to watch what matches up

Archived