2018 NHL draft

OccamsRazor

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Merkley can be a game breaker someday.

True. He could also take out a shopping mall. I give it 50/50 either way. 

He has crazy eyes to me. 

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

I like Detroit taking the best available player for both of their picks.  Both Zadina and Veleno.  nice.

LOVE that Zadina fell to us, in my wildest dreams I never saw that. Veleno, we need skill players at all positions desperately so I get it but we gotta get defense. I told Rux that if the Leafs hadn't taken Sandin at 29 I feel confident he was our pick, I was watching the board and some of the reaches and thinking, he might fall to us but the Leafs love the falling defenseman right now, lasy year it was Liljegren, this year Dahlin, I wish we had the foresight to try to move ahead of them a spot or two and get him, it would have been a perfect first round. Satisfied with Veleno because of talent alone but someone has to play defense. I would not be surprised after the selection of Zadina if Mantha is not on the block now for a top four defender. Not screaming for it or anything but it would make sense with both Zadina a d Rasmussen likely to crack the top six next season.

Straight up CRAZY that he Islanders turned picks 11 and 12 into Whalstrom and Dobson. Two future cornerstone types. A great haul, and Lou feasted on the mistakes of other GM's here. If I'm Johnny T, I'm looking at these two and figuring they will be contributing before he exits his prime, which could factor into resigning on the Isle. 

51 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Straight up CRAZY that he Islanders turned picks 11 and 12 into Whalstrom and Dobson. Two future cornerstone types. A great haul, and Lou feasted on the mistakes of other GM's here. If I'm Johnny T, I'm looking at these two and figuring they will be contributing before he exits his prime, which could factor into resigning on the Isle. 

They made out like bandits.  Really.  I could not belleve Wahlstrom was there.    That was likely made possible because the Coyotes, in a stroke of...well, just a stroke, really...picked Hayton at #5.   I don't want to over-criticize Hayton because he's a good player.  But that was flat out craziness there.   If they go Zadina, the Red Wings go with defense and the Islanders are probably left with Ty Smith at their picks.

I'm stunned Wahlstrom fell that far.    I guess that's because Kravtsov jumped up to top 10.  I don't blame that pick.

But man, the Metro teams made out.  

• I actually thought Philly did well, though obviously not immediately.
  • The Islanders got two really incredible players.   They'd be giddy if they had an actual arena.
  • I thought the Rangers did well.   I really like Kravtsov, but they did well later with their defensemen picks.
  • The Devils did well with Ty Smith.  It's a solid pick.
  • The Caps did well with Alexeyev, I think, but their win of the night was getting cap room for Carlson.
  • Between their draft and their trade with Calgary, they may have made out pretty well.  I'm not sure I understand what's going on with Hamilton that he's moving again.  But between him and Svech, they've changed their team.

I'm not sure what to think of Columbus.  That was an interesting pick.  I get the Flyers reaching with their second pick.  They're playing with house money there and might as well swing.  I'm not sure Foudy is any more a project than the expected guys in that area of the draft, but it was an odd way to spend your only pick, to me. But, some of the players expected in that area really had no business there.  It's not retrospect for me to dislike Noel or Wilde in the first round let alone that high.  I called them falling out.   I thought Veleno early 20s so don't like him there ( I was surprised he fell to 30, but probably shouldn't have been).  The Jackets need to do something else to improve their chances next year.

The Penguins let everyone move toward them or further ahead.  Not a good turn of events for them.

I think it became quite harder to get into the playoffs from the Metro division.

What the hell Lou? You drafted like **** for the better part of a decade with the Devils, then go to Toronto and draft Matthews, then go to the Islanders and clean up at the draft? I call ********.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure what to think of Columbus.  That was an interesting pick.  I get the Flyers reaching with their second pick.  They're playing with house money there and might as well swing.  I'm not sure Foudy is any more a project than the expected guys in that area of the draft, but it was an odd way to spend your only pick, to me. But, some of the players expected in that area really had no business there.  It's not retrospect for me to dislike Noel or Wilde in the first round let alone that high.  I called them falling out.   I thought Veleno early 20s so don't like him there ( I was surprised he fell to 30, but probably shouldn't have been).  The Jackets need to do something else to improve their chances next year.

I really, really like Foudy. I think he's gonna be a very nice player.  The Spits just drafted his little brother in the 1st round of their most recent draft, and by all accounts, he's a excellent player also. Would not be surprised if they both turned into top 6 forwards eventually. 

10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Considering they were picking outside the top ten...I'd say the Isles won the draft at this point.

6 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I really, really like Foudy. I think he's gonna be a very nice player.  The Spits just drafted his little brother in the 1st round of their most recent draft, and by all accounts, he's a excellent player also. Would not be surprised if they both turned into top 6 forwards eventually. 

Speed to burn...another guy I was hoping dropped to our 2nd rounder.

8 hours ago, MadDevil said:

What the hell Lou? You drafted like **** for the better part of a decade with the Devils, then go to Toronto and draft Matthews, then go to the Islanders and clean up at the draft? I call ********.

HA.....I was wondering how the Devil fans would like this "new Lou" at the drafting table.....LOL!

On 6/24/2018 at 10:45 AM, jammer2 said:

HA.....I was wondering how the Devil fans would like this "new Lou" at the drafting table.....LOL!

So who leads the charge in the tank for Jack Hughes next year?? He is what i would call Connor Mcdavid lite.

Canucks like to draft brothers....they just draft his brother...will they be the ones???

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So who leads the charge in the tank for Jack Hughes next year?? He is what i would call Connor Mcdavid lite.

Avalanche via the first round pick of the Senators.  (Thanks to the Duchene trade)

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Canucks like to draft brothers....they just draft his brother...will they be the ones???

There is no way the Canucks finish last, just to much talent there, and coming up like Pettersen. Plus good goaltending....I just don't see it....but yeah, they just got his multi talented brother, who very well might turn out to be on THE best ever d-men in Nucks history...it's not like there is a ton of them...lol

50 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Avalanche via the first round pick of the Senators.  (Thanks to the Duchene trade)

This recent talk of Melynk selling throws a twist. They are worth way more with Karlsson in a Sens uni....so that may negate a trade, and Karlsson being there is so big, it could push them up a few spots.....still, even then, you gotta wonder where the goals are going to come from....huh?

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2018 at 10:17 AM, jammer2 said:

There is no way the Canucks finish last, just to much talent there, and coming up like Pettersen. Plus good goaltending....I just don't see it....but yeah, they just got his multi talented brother, who very well might turn out to be on THE best ever d-men in Nucks history.

So someone else was thinking like I was in June.

Stranger things have happened...

Could Quinn, Jack Hughes be Canucks’ next star brother tandem?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/quinn-jack-hughes-canucks-next-star-brother-tandem/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 10:36 PM, ruxpin said:

They made out like bandits.  Really.  I could not belleve Wahlstrom was there.    That was likely made possible because the Coyotes, in a stroke of...well, just a stroke, really...picked Hayton at #5.   I don't want to over-criticize Hayton because he's a good player.  But that was flat out craziness there.   If they go Zadina, the Red Wings go with defense and the Islanders are probably left with Ty Smith at their picks.

I'm stunned Wahlstrom fell that far.    I guess that's because Kravtsov jumped up to top 10.  I don't blame that pick.

But man, the Metro teams made out.  

• I actually thought Philly did well, though obviously not immediately.
  • The Islanders got two really incredible players.   They'd be giddy if they had an actual arena.
  • I thought the Rangers did well.   I really like Kravtsov, but they did well later with their defensemen picks.
  • The Devils did well with Ty Smith.  It's a solid pick.
  • The Caps did well with Alexeyev, I think, but their win of the night was getting cap room for Carlson.
  • Between their draft and their trade with Calgary, they may have made out pretty well.  I'm not sure I understand what's going on with Hamilton that he's moving again.  But between him and Svech, they've changed their team.

The Penguins let everyone move toward them or further ahead.  Not a good turn of events for them.

I think it became quite harder to get into the playoffs from the Metro division.

I've started to wonder if Arizona really wants to win at all.  And its a thought that feels more justified with more and more seasons of complete futility.  

• hf101 unpinned this topic

Archived