Where we should be

SpikeDDS

Thoughts on last night’s game:

Another close loss. We have several. But this one I am better with than some other ones. Most of the game, we played hockey. Our young kids played relatively well. Mantha got a good PP goal. They didn’t play badly, and other than the last part of the second period there, they skated pretty well with decent effort.

I expect more of these kinds of games, and I am unfortunately anticipating coming up short in many of them. But the bottom line is that our kids are gaining experience and developing into NHL players, which is the ONLY possible way forward for us—even as frustrating as it is and will be to come up short on the scoreboard as many times as we will.

Mickey keeps repeating that so go Tatar and Nyquist, so go the Red Wings. Unfortunately, I agree with this. When those two contribute, we are a different team. A better team. When they don’t, we will struggle, even with good effort by the kids. They can’t do it alone. And unfortunately, Tats and Nyke are just not reliable enough to be counted on to bring their game on a nightly basis.

And is it just me, or does it seem like we never see both of them raise their game at the same time? Both are streaky, and neither one seems to get hot at the same time as the other one does. It’s either/or, never both. 

@SpikeDDS

Great thoughts. 

Sadly, Ottawa had it handed to them just two nights before by Montreal and we caught a good team at home in an angry mood. Really, I felt it was not that close, the ice seemed tilted most of the night. If not for the play of Howie we would have been blown out. 

I listened to the Ottawa announcers, usually I love listening to Mickey but the Sens announcers are fantastic, they get the game and present it in an intelligent way, always picking up good insights. Some opposing announcers drive you nuts with their homerisms but Ottawa does a great job.

AGREED with Tats and Nyke, I have a equally frustrated friend who said he is convinced that they are really the same person in disguise and as proof offers up that you never see the two of them in the same game which sadly is your point, lol. 

No shame in losing to a good team in a foul mood, hopefully we get it straightened out tomorrow afternoon in Edmonton. Tough opening portion of the schedule, 12 of our first 17 on the road, yikes. In a perfect world we take two of three out west coming home around .500 for some serious home cooking, 8 of our next 9 are at home, about the longest suich stretcg that I can remember in a while.

@yave1964 

Yeah, the schedule is not favorable for a team that is searching for its identity. If they lose most of that initial stretch of games, they can start self-identifying as the team that comes up short; that doesn’t know how to finish. Perception often drives reality, especially self-perception.

And I agree about the Senators’ broadcasters. They know the game and aren’t as homer as many others are. I like insightful broadcasters who see the game differently from how I see it so long as they explain themselves, which they do.

Archived