Matt Duchene Traded

Duchene.jpg

From Darren Dreger's twitter account

https://twitter.com/DarrernDreger?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I am sure other agencies will be posting things soon as well, but this was about 10 min or so ago.

Full details aren't completely finalized, but it seems:

Ottawa gets Duchene

Nashville gets Turris

Colorado gets Colin White AND both Ott's and Nsh's 1st round picks in 2018

There it is.

3 team circus.

If these are the details, who comes out ahead?

Duchene started the game playing for Colorado at the Islanders.

He gets traded mid game.

A Montreal Canadiens special?  Hah.

Duchene is going to a better place regardless.

Just now, hf101 said:

Of course, this deal couldn't have happened last night before the Flyers game as Duschene one of the best players on the ice last night. lol.  :waiting:

That's called "Flyer Luck" though, no?  :bigteeth:

The other big piece, Kyle Turris, going off to Nashville...boy Johansen can get back with the team WITH Turris on there, the Preds become a very dangerous team. They have guys who are still sleepwalking through the season. An infusion of a guy like Turris can help jump start things over there.

Colorado gets the "lesser" of the players in Colin White, but make out just fine with two first rounders.

Avs started out great, but even Joe Sakic seems to think it was an illusion (and it is!), and the rebuild will continue in Lanche Land.

Back to Duchene though....Ottawa has been ok to this point in the season, and Duchene has seemingly been playing better as of late...the Sens may be getting him at just the right time and they likely will be better than "just ok" moving forward.

Oh....and with Duchene in the East now, the Flyers get to see MORE of him!  :)

From the land of "How Do Ya Like That" comes this:

Duchene, going from New York, where his now former Avalanche are....to Ottawa, his new team, who play next in....wait for it..... Denver, CO on Friday.

So Duchene's next game will be against his former team.

More details as stuff gets finalized and other names appear:

From TSN Canada

http://www.tsn.ca/senators-acquire-duchene-in-three-team-deal-1.906441

Goalie Andrew Hammond is involved in this too...and Turris, once he gets to Nashville, is expected to sign a big extension.

Also, while Duchene WILL be facing his former team next game, it WON'T be in Denver, CO.... The Sens and Avs play a regular season game in Stockholm, Sweden on Friday.

why the hell did the Avs play Duchene last night ?....dammit., he made a great play backchecking on Ghost that led to the Avs 4th goal...I don't know if I think he's an upgrade on Turris though.  I suppose it depends, I think Duchene is the better skater, and he has a lot of skill I like Turris' tenacity and think he was growing into a leader on that Sens team.  

I forgot more games to be played in Europe this season.  

Nashville really get's an important offensive center in this deal. Apparently, they will sign Turris to 6-year, $36M extension.    I'm really not understanding why Ottawa couldn't afford that deal, it isn't that outrageous.

Wow ... gonna take a bit to sort this one out......

So Duchene goes from centering the 2nd Line for AVS to centering 2nd Line for the Sens?

Kyle Turris to jump start the PREDS offense?

Real winner is Avs who get not one but TWO #1 2018 Draft Picks ???

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

why the hell did the Avs play Duchene last night ?....dammit., he made a great play backchecking on Ghost that led to the Avs 4th goal...I don't know if I think he's an upgrade on Turris though.  I suppose it depends, I think Duchene is the better skater, and he has a lot of skill I like Turris' tenacity and think he was growing into a leader on that Sens team.  

Not sure who ends up with the better C (Duchene with the Sens, or Turris with the Preds), but, it could very well be a win-win for both.

Even if it's a 'lateral' movement, the Sens end up with a guy who they aren't going round n round with on contracts and who is starting to earn a reputation as a bit of a malcontent when things aren't going his way.

Not saying Turris IS that, but boy, his track record sure makes it look that way.

Preds on the other hand, get a very talented player in Turris, who, if he IS happy, will play his ass off.....and like I said earlier...he and Ryan Johansen down the middle for Nashville?

Pretty nice.

Should fire up those Pred wingers who have been half assing it so far.

Now, if we are talking LONG term...maybe the Preds win this, as Turris will be signing (if he hasn't already) and extension to stay with them for the next several years....while Duchene has this year and next before becoming a FA...and thus Ottawa, unless they meet his asking price, won't have him beyond next season.

Aves didn't get 2 first round picks (per TSN).

To Ottawa: C Matt Duchene

To Nashville: C Kyle Turris

To Colorado: OTT 1st-round pick, OTT 3rd-round pick, C Shane Bowers, G Andrew Hammond (from Ottawa); NSH 2nd-round pick, D Samuel Girard, LW Vladislav Kamenev (from Nashville).

3 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Aves didn't get 2 first round picks (per TSN).

To Ottawa: C Matt Duchene

To Nashville: C Kyle Turris

To Colorado: OTT 1st-round pick, OTT 3rd-round pick, C Shane Bowers, G Andrew Hammond (from Ottawa); NSH 2nd-round pick, D Samuel Girard, LW Vladislav Kamenev (from Nashville).

Thanks AFF for the more complete report.

Mine was a very preliminary one based on Dreger's tweet.

Figured there was more to come and yes, there was indeed.

Colorado ends up with the biggest haul obviously, but all their work is towards their rebuild.

Glad Sakic sees that his team really isn't as good as some thought because they started out so well.

They've got many issues and they hope this big haul they got will go towards fixing those issues.

Excited to see Duchene play on a contender at last, and Turris should help bolster the Preds' lackluster offense thus far.

Good lord. talk about tanking your teams Morale. Trading him DURING a game and then pulling him out of the game after 2 minutes of icetime. Bet his friends on the team just feel great about that.

Meanwhile Barzal and Eberle are absolutely lighting up Colorado. In a single game, Barzal has vaulted himself into Calder scoring with 5 assists tonight and the game is not even over.

Turris is underrated big time...I like what this gives Nashville more than anybody. Excellent two- way player and adds some needed punch to their offense. Really solid move for a second line center. 

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Turris was overreaching on his next contract as far as term/money was involved, at least as far as Ottawa is concerned and they are a penny pinching organization. Duchene is a heck of a player with more versatility being able to play the wing as well. 

Turris is exactly what Nashville needs and they didn't give up a roster player. Girard is a pretty decent prospect but they have D to burn and kept the roster intact while adding the much needed 2C.

Colorado makes out nicely with the the picks and Girard immediately is a top 4 if they want to plug him in right now, Kamenev can play a bit,  Hammond, meh, just an extra body in net, Bowers was a first rounder this past year.

So they got: a first, second, third a recent first rounder and a solid prospect in Girard, and a few bodies in the mix as well. Sakic did quite well by his boys. Took forever but a nice trade all around.

1 minute ago, Tobias Funke said:

From an all in perspective, this great for the Preds. To be able to add Turris while keeping their top 4D intact is a coup imo. 

Agreed, and welcome to the forum!

You'd think after taking so long to finally trade Duchene (it's been what, 2 years?) that Sakic might have taken a lesser amount...but I think he made off with a pretty good haul. 

They basically got 2-1sts 3-2nds a 3rd and Hammond. That's a good haul for a rebuilding team. Could be a win-win-win trade.

Yes, I'm surprised how much Ottawa had to give up to get Duchene. They basically paid Turris, Hammond, 2018 1st, 2018 3rd.

I dunno, that seems extremely high for a marginally better player in Duchene.

The Preds, I think, get the best immediate upgrade. Makes sense, their window is right now. 

Colorado gets a great rebuilding haul, and with three 2018 1st round picks, they can make a HUGE move up if they really wanted to.

Ottawa I think is the loser just in the sense of making a lateral trade without much upgrade, but also giving up a 1st and 3rd in a great draft year. Overpayment, in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, I'm surprised how much Ottawa had to give up to get Duchene. They basically paid Turris, Hammond, 2018 1st, 2018 3rd.

I dunno, that seems extremely high for a marginally better player in Duchene.

The Preds, I think, get the best immediate upgrade. Makes sense, their window is right now. 

Colorado gets a great rebuilding haul, and with three 2018 1st round picks, they can make a HUGE move up if they really wanted to.

Ottawa I think is the loser just in the sense of making a lateral trade without much upgrade, but also giving up a 1st and 3rd in a great draft year. Overpayment, in my opinion.

That last bit has some merit.

Duchene IS a damned good player (and still very young at just 26), but when you strip away everything and just boil it down to what, exactly, the Sens gave up to acquire him, it really does seem like an overpayment.

Matt Duchene will be an Ottawa Senator for at least a season and a half, and I already mentioned that after that, the Sens may have nothing to show for this deal (unless they somehow win a championship this year or next) if they don't convince him to stay with the team with a new contract extension or re-sign.

That, of course, begs the question:  If Ottawa is gonna have to pay Duchene big money, why didn't they just simply do that for Turris and KEEP their draft picks?

I think there was more going on behind the scenes than the public is aware of.

Perhaps Turris was becoming too much of a 'headache' for them..... one they just as soon prefer not to have to deal with, much less sign to a big money deal to remain on-board.

Ottawa reportedly DID offer Turris an extension...it simply wasn't enough in dollars and term for the Turris camp liking.

Were the Sens being 'cheap' as some have said they are known to be?

Or was it a matter of being open to paying Turris....but not thinking enough of him as an entire package to give him exactly what he wanted?

We may never know that part of it..........or maybe we will when Duchene's contract comes up due.

He won't be any cheaper to retain than Turris would have been. He may be MORE expensive in fact.....

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That last bit has some merit.

Duchene IS a damned good player (and still very young at just 26), but when you strip away everything and just boil it down to what, exactly, the Sens gave up to acquire him, it really does seem like an overpayment.

Matt Duchene will be an Ottawa Senator for at least a season and a half, and I already mentioned that after that, the Sens may have nothing to show for this deal (unless they somehow win a championship this year or next) if they don't convince him to stay with the team with a new contract extension or re-sign.

That, of course, begs the question:  If Ottawa is gonna have to pay Duchene big money, why didn't they just simply do that for Turris and KEEP their draft picks?

I think there was more going on behind the scenes than the public is aware of.

Perhaps Turris was becoming too much of a 'headache' for them..... one they just as soon prefer not to have to deal with, much less sign to a big money deal to remain on-board.

Ottawa reportedly DID offer Turris an extension...it simply wasn't enough in dollars and term for the Turris camp liking.

Were the Sens being 'cheap' as some have said they are known to be?

Or was it a matter of being open to paying Turris....but not thinking enough of him as an entire package to give him exactly what he wanted?

We may never know that part of it..........or maybe we will when Duchene's contract comes up due.

He won't be any cheaper to retain than Turris would have been. He may be MORE expensive in fact.....

That's my thinking as well. I haven't checked, but I wonder if they have contracts expiring in a few years that makes it more palatable to give a big extension rather than right now like they needed to do with Turris? 

In any case, Duchene hasn't shown to be a MUCH better player than Turris. 

Oddly, it looks like a great deal for all 3 teams. Time will tell as usual.....

Don't like Ottawa getting ANY good players (my being a Leafs fan), but this could end up being a really great trade for all teams.

As an aside I have a feeling Colorado won the trade.

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

I forgot more games to be played in Europe this season.  

Nashville really get's an important offensive center in this deal. Apparently, they will sign Turris to 6-year, $36M extension.    I'm really not understanding why Ottawa couldn't afford that deal, it isn't that outrageous.

I mentioned in the Turris thread that Ottawa was rumored to be Ottawa cheap with their well below the salary cap budget. If they are unwilling to pay 6x6 for a two way 60 point Center, they may as well Kiss Duchene goodbye as soon as his contract runs out

22 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Oddly, it looks like a great deal for all 3 teams. Time will tell as usual.....

Don't like Ottawa getting ANY good players (my being a Leafs fan), but this could end up being a really great trade for all teams.

As an aside I have a feeling Colorado won the trade.

Long term, this may be true.

In fact, long term, it SHOULD be true...........provided Colorado utilizes the picks wisely and continues proper development of the players they received.

While this is a very good haul for Colorado (and kudos to Joe Sakic for getting this deal), this is STILL the same management group that couldn't keep Patrick Roy as head coach, that had (and still even now) have pretty good talent on the roster, but managed to still lose a bunch of games, and still the same management group that failed to get any sort of chemistry going with the players they have.

I mean, they won ONE lousy division title some years back, and they thought they were building a dynasty, when most people could clearly see the Avs played wayyyyy over their heads that year and haven't even come close to that since........with basically the same core of players.

So while I hope Colorado gets their act together and builds a competitive team with what they got (and make a few more smart decisions in the future as well), would it really shock anyone if they found some way to bungle the rebuild?

Archived