Matt Duchene Traded

Interesting to note that Turris has actually outproduced Duchene from the 2014-15 season to today. If the Sens get 2013-14 Duchene, it's an upgrade. If they get the last 3 years Duchene, it's an expensive lateral move. I really like the deal for Nashville. They get a legit #2 center to play behind Johansen for the next 6 years, and only lost a couple of prospects and a 2nd round pick. Poile has killed it on the trade market in recent years with Forsberg, Johansen, Subban, and now Turris.

11 hours ago, brelic said:

Yes, I'm surprised how much Ottawa had to give up to get Duchene. They basically paid Turris, Hammond, 2018 1st, 2018 3rd.

I dunno, that seems extremely high for a marginally better player in Duchene.

The Preds, I think, get the best immediate upgrade. Makes sense, their window is right now. 

Colorado gets a great rebuilding haul, and with three 2018 1st round picks, they can make a HUGE move up if they really wanted to.

Ottawa I think is the loser just in the sense of making a lateral trade without much upgrade, but also giving up a 1st and 3rd in a great draft year. Overpayment, in my opinion.

Its yet to be seen if Colorado does anything with their draft picks they obtained.  They haven't drafted all that well in the last 10 years and especially poor since Sakic joined the front office.  Only 4 picks in the last 5 years have played 20 games or more in the NHL with the Aves.  

I like the haul that the Ave's got...having 3 first round picks next year gives them plenty of options, including moving up to get somebody they really like. Yave touched on Girard, I really like that kid. He is legit and will supply heart and offense. 

Duchene will fit in well in Ottawa, who skate far better than the Ave's. All 3 teams got better, assuming the Ave's can draft good players with their haul of picks. 

Very nice gamble by the Preds GM. You take a team that went to the finals and add a much needed offensive piece in Turris. Having Turris will make Johansson a better player, and take some heat off him. Paying a 1st rounder, that will be in the late 20's to fill one of the only holes on a Stanley Cup contending team...that is what you call good asset management. Plus, they have that winger in the KHL who is FILLING the net, their first rounder from last year, so offensive help is on the way next year anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...

Giving this thread a Bump3.gif because some of us may want to rethink who got the better of what here.

Still agree the Avs got a nice return, but Kyle Turris has been pretty good for Nashville to this point while Duchane, frankly, has sucked for Ottawa.

What's going on here, Matt? Maybe it WASN'T Colorado....maybe it was YOU!  

Hmmm Smiley.gif

On 11/22/2017 at 7:51 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Still agree the Avs got a nice return, but Kyle Turris has been pretty good for Nashville to this point while Duchane, frankly, has sucked for Ottawa.

Turris instantly had made the Preds a WAY deeper team, a pure case of the rich getting richer.  For the Ave's, this was all about the future, with prospects and picks being at the front of the line...BUT, I have watched the past few Lanche games and Samuel Girard may be the best player in this deal, long-term. The kid is a fast, smart head's up kinda dman who no doubt will excel in the offensive game. He's on the Lanche top pp, and has a real chance to contribute valuable points from the back end. 

Matt Duchene has been ULTRA stinky. Not only is he not getting nice bounces, he's been outright lazy at times. He does not stay in his lane, free-lance coasting on a team that demands discipline from it's forwards in all 3 areas of the ice. It's early, but I'm betting the Sens, well known for being frugal will NOT want to take on his salary with this type of effort, yet another deal may be in the works, cause the Sens just do not tolerate players going out of their way to not accommodate their strict system. 

EDIT...things looking up in the Nation's backyard, Kanata Ontario. Matt got his first point as a Sen, 8 games into his Sens career. A measly assist, but ya gotta start somewhere, huh?

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

EDIT...things looking up in the Nation's backyard, Kanata Ontario. Matt got his first point as a Sen, 8 games into his Sens career. A measly assist, but ya gotta start somewhere, huh?

I suppose...and this could very well be the start of a nice streak for him.

Still though, like you said....Duchene is coming up for contract and his camp is going to want A LOT of money, and if you are Ottawa, do you take the chance and give him what he wants running the risk that he will go through these production droughts?

Not so sure about that.

A quick look around the league and I see that if Ottawa wants a center that won't break the bank, Toronto's Tyler Bozak could probably be signed for a lot less than what Duchene would require....and Bozak's production has been about the same, if not more, than Duchene both this season and last.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I suppose...and this could very well be the start of a nice streak for him.

Still though, like you said....Duchene is coming up for contract and his camp is going to want A LOT of money, and if you are Ottawa, do you take the chance and give him what he wants running the risk that he will go through these production droughts?

Not so sure about that.

A quick look around the league and I see that if Ottawa wants a center that won't break the bank, Toronto's Tyler Bozak could probably be signed for a lot less than what Duchene would require....and Bozak's production has been about the same, if not more, than Duchene both this season and last.

For starters, Ottawa has always been rather frugal, even though they are in decent sized market, they spend like a small town team. This is the team that would not bring Daniel Alfredsson back for one more year because he demanded too much....and that is the most beloved player in Sens history (at least for the 2nd go around).

At this point, I can almost guarantee that Duchene will be moved at the deadline, as a rental. Even if the Sens are right in the thick of things, they will use Matt as a tool to plug any obvious holes moving forward into the playoffs. They don't like to spend the big bucks as it is...but spending big bucks on a guy who refuses to buy into the coaches system??  Buh bye Matt. 

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Start with this, Matt:  Don't unpack.

35 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

At this point, I can almost guarantee that Duchene will be moved at the deadline, as a rental. Even if the Sens are right in the thick of things, they will use Matt as a tool to plug any obvious holes moving forward into the playoffs. They don't like to spend the big bucks as it is...but spending big bucks on a guy who refuses to buy into the coaches system??  Buh bye Matt.

They gave up a ####-ton for him.   He'd better wake up or they will never replace what they shipped out.   So even if they do move him and get something back, you can almost guarantee it will be a net loss for them.

The other thing, too, is I really don't like what Boucher is doing with his lines.   I know you want to spread out your offense, but the result has largely been no offense.  Even Karlsson is off.   I don't like Brassard centering the top line.  Have Duchene center Stone and Hoffman for a couple of games (why the hell would you have Hoffman on the third line!?) as the top line, with Brassard continuing to center Ryan and Smith.  Dzingel  with Pageau and Thompson and put Pyatt on the 4th line where he belongs.   Actually, I might switch Thompson with Ryan, who is doing nothing and hasn't in quite awhile.  But I don't want Ryan on my checking line.   Brassard is doing nothing for his wingers!

And then shoot whose idea it was to get Burrows in the face.

That team is a mess, and it wasn't Turris and it isn't Duchene.  It's Boucher (well, it's also Duchene, but at least put people in a position to be better).  

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

They gave up a ####-ton for him.   He'd better wake up or they will never replace what they shipped out.   So even if they do move him and get something back, you can almost guarantee it will be a net loss for them.

The other thing, too, is I really don't like what Boucher is doing with his lines.   I know you want to spread out your offense, but the result has largely been no offense.  Even Karlsson is off.   I don't like Brassard centering the top line.  Have Duchene center Stone and Hoffman for a couple of games (why the hell would you have Hoffman on the third line!?) as the top line, with Brassard continuing to center Ryan and Smith.  Dzingel  with Pageau and Thompson and put Pyatt on the 4th line where he belongs.   Actually, I might switch Thompson with Ryan, who is doing nothing and hasn't in quite awhile.  But I don't want Ryan on my checking line.   Brassard is doing nothing for his wingers!

And then shoot whose idea it was to get Burrows in the face.

That team is a mess, and it wasn't Turris and it isn't Duchene.  It's Boucher (well, it's also Duchene, but at least put people in a position to be better).  

I agree with all of that 100%. If you want a candidate for the next coach to be fired, that hot mess in Ottawa should start showing up on some "guess the first coach to be ****-canned" game. There is no rhyme or reason with his line/player selection. There seems to be 3-4 teams in the NHL this year that really mess with the lines, Anaheim (out of pure necessity because of horrendous injuries), Chicago, Detroit and Ottawa. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind off hand. 

Hoffman on the 3rd line is stupid. I understand the concept of spreading out the offense, but that is ridiculous. Bobby Ryan was washed up years ago, even before he signed the big 6 year extension with the Sens. 

Ottawa might have given up to much for Duchene. When you think about it, Sakic was the one under the gun...and he played the whole thing like Cool Hand Luke. He literally waited a year and a half to get the return he wanted....and inevitably, it took 3 teams to get the job done...so kudos to him for being wickedly patient and getting a very nice haul of picks, prospects and Samuel Girard a rook who is running the top pp. 

I see no downside to having Matt Duchene center Stone and Hoffman. That sounds like a very dynamic line...and it would strengthen the 2nd line, with Brassard moving there...that is what he really is, a average 2nd line center. If there was any doubt who won the Ott and NYR trade, it was the side that got Zajinablad. (sp...lol!) At some point, they have to make a move to get Matt untracked...and if the plan is to re-flip him, you want him scoring at a nice pace to get a decent return. 

Archived