Oilers Rumoured to Sign Chris Kelly

Puck_Pun

1 hour ago, Puck_Pun said:

Article

OK this is going to really hurt the Senators. Losing Turris isn't so bad considering they are getting Duchene in return but this will leave a big hole of experience.

Meh...you know, Puck, other than perhaps Kelly being a sentimental favorite for Sens fans, I wouldn't lament someone else (particularly a Western Conference team) signing him and that Ottawa won't be.

I mean, Kelly's best days were in the mid to late 2000's with the Sens and Bruins, and while I can respect the experience aspect, I am pretty sure there are some experienced guys who aren't necessarily point producers still out there who may take a low bar contract to play on an NHL team.

Jarome Iginla, Jiri Hudler, Chris VandeVelde, and Drew Miller were some of the more interesting names I found on Capfriendly.

Experienced guys who could hold down a 3rd or 4th line role for the team.

Not sure what kind of game shape any of these guys are in, but they may be worth a look to replace the likes of a Chris Kelly for Ottawa.

Also, perhaps the Sens have a longtime borderline experienced guy in Binghamton who could man a 4th line slot for the big club. Give that guys a taste of the big club, provided the has done pretty well for the Sens in the minors.  He would probably play for a minimal contract, and not asked to do too much on a 4th line, yet his experience, albeit all minor league, could come in handy.

I've seen the Lightning do that in the past. 

Give some veteran career minor leaguer a shot at the big club on a bottom six line....and they usually do well even if they are borderline NHL caliber because they come up with so much they feel they need to prove to others and themselves, and quite frankly, are likely very hungry for NHL play after so many years in the AHL.

Archived