Revenge!!

yave1964

On October 22nd the Canucks came into Detroit two days after the Wings had lost a heartbreaker in overtime to Ovechkin and the Capitals and the Wings played what Zetterberg called 'the worst game we have played since I came here'. I am certain that the Wings had last nights game in BC circled since then.

The Wings won 3-2 on a goal by Tatar with a minute to go sticking a dagger in the heart of Canuck fans and players. The Wings led 2-0 and then ran out of gas a bit as they were playing their second of back to back games first in Edmonton the night before in a nice win. Helm scored the first one, Frk the second on a power play (his second in two nights) and the winner by Tatar, all three more or less the same type of goal the type the Wings have been lacking for years, get bodies and pucks on the net and see what happens. All three came from forcing the play in front of the net. 

A quibble, Frk's goal was unassisted which IMHO made no sense as Zetterberg carried the play in and got the puck to Frk who fired a shot on net as Mantha set up in front. Tanev for Vancouver got the puck right in front in the paint and Mantha hit his stick with his causing Tanev to knock it into his own goal as Markstrom and Z were mementarilly tangled up. Mantha and Z made the play happen with pressure, and I know that it went in off a Canuck stick  but Z was a man among boys to make the play happen. IMHO both Z and possibly Mantha deserve assists on the play. Instead it was scored as an unassisted power play goal when in truth Zetterberg's nifty passing and Mantha's pressure on Tanev were the key components to the goal.

Larkin is now a true top six center, he led the team in faceoff wins and in ice time and had a neat assist on the game winner, he was carrying the puck up near the blueline with his back towards the goal, three Canucks converged on him, trying to take the puck/force him out of the zone, without looking he knew instinctively that with that many defenders up high someone would be open down below and he fired it no look style to an open Abdelkader (who played his best game of the year) who set up Tatar for the winner.

On a sour note, Kronwall was pretty bad, his passes were intercepted at least three times allowing the Canucks to break in on Jimmy Howard who was solid all night. Trevor Daley has been a wonderful addition however and led the Wings blueliners in icetime and in blocks and is absolutely a nice piece to have back there. Cant wait to get Dekeyser back on the ice and see what we have back there when everyone is healthy.

Sitting 8-7-1 with a game coming in three nights in Calgary finishing off a brutal opening stretch where 12 of 17 are on the road. After that 8 of our next nine are at the Pizza Palace so we will pretty much know at the end of that stretch if the Wings are any good or not. The Division is the Lightning and the Leafs and then everyone else, so there is no reason that with a bit of luck the Wings cannot compete for the third spot in the division.

@yave1964

I missed the Cancuks game because I was watching the Lions, but it seems they're still trying to find their legs. as a team.  They have the pieces and talent to be an incredible team, even a playoff contender, but they have to keep producing at that high level, night after night, whilst keeping everyone healthy.  I am looking forward to the long stretch at Pizzarena.  Million, and billions, and zillions of dollars, to build the place, no to mention another gajillion spent for all the media hype and they've only played there a handful of times.  Let's get that baby moving and see what she can do!  

Archived