Best Red Wing Game in a While!

SpikeDDS

If there has been a game that marks a shift for the Red Wing team from our previous style of hockey to something new, this game was it. I think I enjoyed watching this game more than any game in the past several years. It had a bit of everything. But most importantly—in the words of Witkowski—it had OTH: Old Time Hockey! Dang, I have missed it!

When OTH erupts, the Red Wings are not involved...usually. Their brand of hockey has not really included much fighting, and physicality has not been a strength. We haven’t had the players that have physicality as a strong suit for a while.

But last night, the sleeping beast awakened for at least one game. But it hasn’t really been one game, has it? Mantha has been developing his net front game, using his size and strength and combining it with hand/stick skills, and suddenly our PP looks like a real threat.

The whole kid line looks like a threat. They’ve been playing well on. OTH sides of the puck. Their ice time has increased significantly, where Larkin often leads in Ice time. Even on the PK, AA remains a threat. But you can see they are starting to really gel. The recent passses back and forth from Mantha and AA for scores. Larkin with a 70-foot pass off the end boards to Abby. We haven’t seen that since Lidstrom!

We Are witnessing the passing of the baton from Z and the more-seasoned leaders to the young players, and you know what? Fun hockey is back! It’s not as far away as it may have seemed.

And how much more impactful is Witkowski than his predecessors? The guy doesn’t get many minutes. Heck, he doesn’t even have a defined role a a player except “utility.” He can play both forward and D. But there’s no question that he changes our toughness. The bench feeds off of his attitude, which of course is helped by the production and play we are seeing from the kid line.

I will probably watch this game again. I enjoyed this one more than I have enjoyed a Red Wing game in a LONG time. THIS is the kind of hockey that sells tickets, and the NHL should remember that!

I watched the NHL highlights this morning no mention of what caused the 2 man advantage PP that the Redwings had.  No mention of Mantha earning a Gordie Howe Hat trick, and no mention of any fight what so ever.  

I don't think Eddie Lack played his best game, lol  But the Wings did get some nice bounces that they easily capitalized on.

@SpikeDDS

YES!  That was fun!  I had a great time watching that game!  They had a lot riding on that game, mostly from the echoes of the embarrassment at the Saddledome last week.  I'm glad they responded the way they did.  They took their lumps in Calgary, learned from it, and gave it right back to them.  I hope they learn even more from this experience.  They are a team that CAN compete.  A lot of the media count them out anymore, and the Wings showed everyone they must still be reckoned with.  

@hf101

I have long suspected the NHL has long had it against the Red Wings.  They don't like to give them good press.  Maybe it's a conspiracy theory but even when you look at highlight montages for good scoring plays by one or two players, invariably, they always throw in several from Detroit, more represented than any other team.  

But I'm not bitter....

@SpikeDDS 

@WingNut722

WOW how fun!

Mantha has arrived. Larkin has arrived. Athanasiou has arrived. As spike pointed out, the torch is being passed.

The nice thing is that guys like Abdelkader, Tats and Nyke arent old and grizzled, they are still young enough to keep up. The problem with them has always been that they are solid players who are not stars but who have been forced to try to punch out of their weight class. Now the kid line is doing the heavy lifting allowing the others to slot into their proper position. Fun stuff. And Jimmy Howard right in the middle of things mixing it up!

Hopefully Daley is okay, i was looking at his stats today, i was amazed that he has one measly assist and no goals in 19 games, but the truth is it does not matter, he has brought something to the team, Kronwall being a bit healthier and Daley have allowed Green the freedom to do what he does best. 

Fun game last night, lots of home cooking for the next month, time to make some hay!

Archived