Witkowski suspended 10 games, Tkachuk facing hearing

hf101

Basically a dumb play by Witkowski for leaving the bench.

Within section 70.6 of the NHL Rulebook it states:

“Any player who has been ordered to the dressing room by the officials and returns to his bench or to the ice surface for any reason before the appropriate time shall be assessed a game misconduct and shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next ten (10) regular League and/or Play-off games.”

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Basically a dumb play by Witkowski for leaving the bench.

Within section 70.6 of the NHL Rulebook it states:

“Any player who has been ordered to the dressing room by the officials and returns to his bench or to the ice surface for any reason before the appropriate time shall be assessed a game misconduct and shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next ten (10) regular League and/or Play-off games.”

With all due respect, I think it was genius! Yes, he will miss the next 10 games. But he wasn’t getting a lot of ice time as it was, and his standing up for himself might have been the greatest impact on this team that he could have. He’s neither going to be a standout offensive or defensive player. But in establishing toughness on a team whose franchise hasn’t had enough of that for a LONG time, he has increased his value in the dressing room. His teammates love what he did and will welcome him back to the Ice when he returns.

Truthfully, we needed this!

Old Time Hockey has returned to Detroit, even if only for a limited run!

A spirited third period between the Flames and the Wings a couple of nights ago got out of control in a hurry when hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCPYBEIoBSFryq4 Wings knuckle dragger Luke Witkowski beat on Flames Brett Kulak and the Flames took exception to Witkowski getting a few extra shakes and shots in after Kulak was down and clearly out. As Witkowski was heading down the runway, Matthew Tkachuk speared in in the back of the legs, Witkowski came back on the ice and all Hell broke loose. 

Witkowski is suspended for ten games because of the rule which reads, "Any player or goalkeeper who has been ordered to the dressing room by the officials and returns to his bench or to the ice surface for any reason before the appropriate time shall be assessed a game misconduct and shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next 10 regular league and/or playoff games." He clearly fit into this criteria by returning to the ice after starting off down the tunnel.

As for Tkachuk, early in his career he has already developed a reputation as a pain in the rear to play against, and is reminding me more every day of a young Brad Marchand. He was suspended last year for two games for an elbow to the face of Drew Doughty. I listened to the folks on NHL network talking about it, for the most part they expect a game or two for Tkachuk although they also liked that Tkachuk stood up for Kulak. The suspension from last March for the cheap hit on Doughty will likely work against him.

Anyway, fun play for fans of the knuckle dragging stuff like me. 

• hf101 changed the title to Witkowski suspended 10 games, Tkachuk facing hearing
13 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

With all due respect, I think it was genius! Yes, he will miss the next 10 games. But he wasn’t getting a lot of ice time as it was, and his standing up for himself might have been the greatest impact on this team that he could have. He’s neither going to be a standout offensive or defensive player. But in establishing toughness on a team whose franchise hasn’t had enough of that for a LONG time, he has increased his value in the dressing room. His teammates love what he did and will welcome him back to the Ice when he returns.

Truthfully, we needed this!

Old Time Hockey has returned to Detroit, even if only for a limited run!

Too bad it cost him a little over $85,000 to do it.

@JR Ewing

And if there is any respectability in the Detroit dressing room, Witter won’t be paying for a single meal or drink until December 10th. This might be a little harder than usual, as only 2 of their next 13 games are on the road, but the boys better go out of their way to take care of him.

12 minutes ago, Trefilov22 said:

What spear?  He tapped him with his stick.....  lol

Exactly.  I see no spear.  Seriously, it was a love tap on the skate.   To keep calling it a spear is absurd.  Even the Wings' announcers said "love tap."    If he gets a game it's because he incited something, not because it was a spear.  If that's a spear...good lord.

As for Witkowski, all I see is a no-talent hack who is better suited for the barnyard than a hockey rink.

God, I miss the days when 75% of the players were that way.

20 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The NHL had to call it something, I guess!

Why not call it a bunny rabbit.   Or a lollipop.  Or a tree.   Any are as close to describing that as "spear."   There was absolutely as much "spear" about that as "bunny rabbit."

(That's directed at the league, not you.  I think you're right that they were looking for something to call it to justify suspending him for inciting something.   I guess you can't suspend for "unsportsmanlike?")

Call it what you want (I agree that to call it a spear is absurd) Tkachuk  deserves a game for inciting the riot by poking/tapping/spearing/love tapping/caressing/massaging or whatever a player who had just been tossed. Witkowski absolutely deserves his ten games for returning to the ice after being ejected but he came back in response to Tkachuk's actions.

And BTW I am thankful for it, I have Mantha in my Nahana fantasy league and he got me 25 penalty minutes for his fight with Hamonic.

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

kachuk  deserves a game for inciting the riot by poking/tapping/spearing/love tapping/caressing/massaging or whatever a player who had just been tossed.

This I completely agree on.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:14 PM, ruxpin said:

Why not call it a bunny rabbit.   Or a lollipop.  Or a tree.   Any are as close to describing that as "spear."   There was absolutely as much "spear" about that as "bunny rabbit."

(That's directed at the league, not you.  I think you're right that they were looking for something to call it to justify suspending him for inciting something.   I guess you can't suspend for "unsportsmanlike?")

Are you kidding? Call it attempted murder in the first degree! Witter is lucky to be alive after that shot! I’m just glad the trainers were able to save Witter’s leg with the tourniquet to keep him from bleeding out!

Close one!

:eyeroll:

Archived