Game 20: Flames at Flyers; 11/18 @ 1

Howie58

Greetings:

We are installed as favorites for the game, albeit a thread.  Statistically, the teams are fairly similar but their non- 5 on 5 is much better and they appear to be  pretty good away from home:

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/calgary-philadelphia-odds-november-18-2017-866199

My concerns with the O and B are deepening as the season hits the quarter turn.  Controlling the possession and out-shooting the opponent with little to show for it it is a disturbing pattern that carries over from last year.  The lack of scoring distribution is the same, and don't get me started on the shoot-out.

Questions:

1) Can Hakstol adopt new strategies mid-game (or are they bad in the first place)?

2)  Is there limited offensive creativity--shooting straight-away from 40 feet won't get the job done?

3)  Are we too small?

Defense and goal are not the apparent problems.  Wasting .950+ save efforts is.  I look at the New Jersey Devils atop the standings in the Metropolitan and wonder what we're missing?  I agree with some of the "professional" commentators--this team's play is a system problem that reflects as much on coaching and player selection as it does on individual effort, which is good.  We need another 2015-style Ghost emergence to wake things up.  

Howie

PROJECTED LINEUPS

Flyers

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
22 Dale Weise - 19 Nolan Patrick - 17 Wayne Simmonds
15 Jori Lehterä - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 11 Travis Konecny
20 Taylor Leier - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
6 Travis Sanheim - 39 Mark Alt

30 Michal Neuvirth / 37 Brian Elliott

Scratches: Matt Read (healthy), Jordan Weal (day-to-day, upper body), Andrew MacDonald (IR, lower body), Radko Gudas (NHL suspension hearing on Sunday).

FLAMES

13 Johnny Gaudreau - 23 Sean Monahan - 79 Micheal Ferland
10 Kris Versteeg - 11 Mikael Backlund - 67 Michael Frolik
93 Sam Bennett - 77 Mark Jankowski - 68 Jaromir Jagr
18 Matt Stajan - 20 Curtis Lazar - 36 Troy Brouwer

5 Mark Giordano - 27 Dougie Hamilton
7 T.J. Brodie - 24 Travis Hamonic
61 Brett Kulak - 26 Michael Stone

41 Mike Smith
[31 Eddie Läck]

Scratches: Matthew Tkachuk (NHL suspension; one game), Freddie Hamilton (healthy), Matt Bartkowski (healthy).

Let's hope for a win today. The playoffs are sliding away...

..and we are blessed with Lehtera in the lineup again.

Weal out probably has something to do with this.

giphy.gif

An elbow with no call.

Guess they were to busy calling a boarding that didn't happen....

giphy.gif

According to Meltzer  McDonald could be back if activated from the IR.  He apparently has been skating all week and close to a return.

Edit:  he must have just updated that Alt will play as I was typing.  LOL

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

According to Meltzer  McDonald could be back if activated from the IR.  He apparently has been skating all week and close to a return.

Yes my friend....these are classic examples of what Hextall himself complained about several months ago...senior but inferior players clogging the development arteries. I know Lehtera was a trade piece....but Weise...he has decent possession stats but can't finish and contract length was Hextall's gig.  MacD....what can you say..

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

but Weise...he has decent possession stats but can't finish and contract length was Hextall's gig.

He was trying to help Mcdud and give us a new contract to bitch about. Hey it worked!!!!!! Thanks Ron!!!! :hithead:

No Tkachuk so this is a must win. They are only 2 points outside the last wild card spot but Sens have two games in hand. Flyers need this win.

It would be great if someone else besides the Ginger Line Trio scores for them.

TK it is time you find the twine!!!!

Travis Sanheim please join the goal column too when you're ready!!!!

C'mon bro you play your junior career in Calgary...what better timing?

Go Flyers!!!!

Archived