Schenn on pace for 101 pts...

jammer2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Frost was weeks away from going in this years draft. Also one of the fastest skaters in the draft. Also sitting at 5th overall in OHL scoring this year. Your patience is....non-existent. 

I agree it will take sometimes to see if this pays dividends. Sure right now the Blues may be winning.

However in time if Frost helps them win a Cup that could change.

Brayden just didn't fit here.

He doesn't make players around him better players around him make him better.

Right now Schenn is motivated "the best player not in the NHL" has been traded twice at the ripe ol age of 26.

Time will tell.

tenor.gif

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Then we have some serious issues.  Schenn is not the first player to leave the Flyers and succeed elsewhere.  Then why does it seem that past and present coaching staffs insist on fitting square pegs into round holes.  The standing joke around here is that the Flyers draft centers then try to turn them into wingers and visa-versa.  That type of nonsense has got to stop.  I just don't get the fascination of playing players out of their natural position.  Am I wrong here?

I completely agree. And the organization spends a TON of time reinforcing the idea that the player is better off there - I've lost count of the number of times I've heard Clement talk about Giroux as a "natural center" for example.

I guarandamntee he'll soon be talking about how good he looks back at his natural position...

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Spoken like a guy who would have thrown Couturier out with the trash years ago.

Frost was weeks away from going in this years draft. Also one of the fastest skaters in the draft. Also sitting at 5th overall in OHL scoring this year. Your patience is....non-existent. 

What would you prefer to have right now....Mike Richards...or Simmonds/Lehtora/Frost and whoever we take with the 1st in this draft? The Kings clearly won that trade twenty something games into the trade. Hows it looking presently?

You CAN'T judge a trade for draft picks twenty odd games into the next NHL season.

And those complaining about Patrick...we were supposed to pick 14th. I'll take Patrick all day long in that situation. He's played FOURTEEN NHL GAMES!  

:banghead:

Couturier was trash.  Or maybe the team set him up to look like trash. I'm leaning toward the latter considering what we've seen so far with him in a different role.  Either way, I called a spade a spade. 

If you can't jude after 25 games, is this the real couturier, or is it more likely that his first 6 seasons were more of the player he is?  Again, looking at the history of the team and how they use their talent, couturier probably was used wrong.

I don't know what frost will be and neither do you.  Why did he drop to 27?  Wouldn't the fastest skater usually go higher than 27?  Why did schenn go 5th in a much better draft?  What were schenn's numbers in the OHL?  What are the odds of the 27th pick having 50+ point seasons?  These are all questions I go through in my head and it makes me lean toward schenn having a better career than frost, even though I've never seen him play. 

Did you ask what I'd rather have right now, then include frost and this year's pick?  I don't know if you've been watching but frost and this year's pick haven't been playing.  Simmonds doesn't look like he's playing either.  Neither is Richard's.  Schenn is though, and he's playing pretty well.  I'd rather have schenn right now.

I'm one of those judging Patrick right now.  Do you honestly think that most of us are saying that he won't amount to anything because of what he's shown in 20 games?  People are just frustrated to see poor play while his peers are playing better. 

It's the same old flyers story.  If the devils took him first, Hischier would be playing terrible.  Maybe the flyers should try something different than starting him on the third line with weise and Koneckny.  Maybe if he was centering Giroux and voracek, he'd be having a great season.  His skating hasn't looked good though and that penalty shot was pathetic.  Those are things you'd expect to be better from a #2 pick no matter how many games he's played so far.

46 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

one reason could be his age .... he is one of the youngest skaters drafted.  A few weeks later he would have been eligible for the 2018 draft. 

Maybe I'm crazy, but him being younger makes me rate him higher. There are guys drafted around him that were born almost a year earlier, which is a lot of development time at that age.

42 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but him being younger makes me rate him higher. There are guys drafted around him that were born almost a year earlier, which is a lot of development time at that age.

No you are not crazy .......  I wholehearted agree...just trying to throw something out there ...

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think it's totally fair to question how that player was used before leaving.

oops @radoran

TBH I liked Schenn, Simmonds and VanRiemsdyk, with Schenn playing center, those guys looked good together.

But then we know what happened to that combo.

After that, he was never a good center here, I don't find it odd no one thought to put the middling centerman in place of 1st line center/captain/best player. Apparently, Couturier spoke up during an exit interview and said, try me with the good players. 

Did Schenn do that?

I'm not ready to throw the management under the bus for moving Schenn from the pivot.  He was not good in a variety of combinations. Why would anyone think" let's move G to wing and put Schenner in there" when "Schenner" was mediocre in every other slot? 

I will eat my goddamned hat if Schenn becomes a 90pt player.

I have total confidence that **** ain't happening, but if it does bully for him.

I say all that having stuck up for the dude on here a lot. 

Also, this team scores a fair amount, in spite of being shut out 4 times or whatever. Right now they are not getting results, they are not sucking, they are not winning, but with a bounce or better concentration during key moments or two they could have 5 more wins. Also, if my aunt had any balls she'd be my uncle, I understand the reality of the losing.

Good luck to Schenn he wouldn't be making the hay here he is there, good for him.

On 2017-11-24 at 1:07 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Sure when that happens you can claim the win for the Blues. It ain't happening.That team won't get past the Preds.

For the record, I don't think the Blues will win the cup in the next 3 years with Schenn, I agree that the Preds are the class of the West and they're probably hoping to get back to the finals to finish the job they started last year.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:44 PM, jammer2 said:

Did *anyone* see this coming?  Brayden sits at 26 pts in 21 games. That works out to 100.8 pts in 82 games, rounded up, on pace for 101 pts on the season. I still contend, he was a square peg on a round hole for the Flyers. Brayden is fitting in perfectly with the Blues....and his new linemates Tarasenko and Schwartz. The 3 guys work great together, their skill sets working perfectly off each other. The only line the Flyers have close to the Blues top unit is Giroux and Vorachek, AND we know from last year, they did not work together, at all. Actually, Brayden did not work on the second line with Simmonds either. Just one of those deals where new linemates, a new team, new conference, new fans...it all worked out perfectly for the Blues. 

Schenn was just not working out in Philly. He slowed down every line combination in the Flyers top 6, consistently and without fail. This is not a case where the Flyers were not patient, in fact, it was quite the opposite. They tried every line combination, every position.....they tried everything they could have. For whatever reason, it was just not meant to be in Philly. No one's fault, he just did *not* fit. 

The return, Morgan Frost from last summers first round and whoever they get from the Blues first rounder next summer, it looked very respectable at the time. I still contend that Hexy could not have hoped to have done better than this return. The guy is 25 and had never put up 60 pts, before this outrageous offensive burst. To make things worse, the Blues look like the best team in hockey and the pick will probably be 31st or 30th...at the very end of the first round....and Schenn will be a major reason why. Stunning. Hexy, or any other GM could just not have seen this coming. If he was on Philly right now, he would have the exact same middle of the road pts, middle of the road projections for a top 6 forward. One of those cases where a new team and new (super elite) linemates worked out perfectly....unreal. 

Couturier is on pace for 46 goals.

Sharp was a career high 14 goal and a career total -8 guy... low and behold when you put him with Toews and Kane he jumped to 26 and a +23.

John LeCalir was a 19 goal scorer who jumped to 51 with Lindros and Renberg.

Turns out line mates and usage matter.  

On 11/26/2017 at 12:26 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I agree it will take sometimes to see if this pays dividends. Sure right now the Blues may be winning.

However in time if Frost helps them win a Cup that could change.

Brayden just didn't fit here.

He doesn't make players around him better players around him make him better.

Right now Schenn is motivated "the best player not in the NHL" has been traded twice at the ripe ol age of 26.

Time will tell.

tenor.gif

"He doesn't make players around him better players around him make him better."

I agree completely.   Except I don't like looking at that ^

;)

Archived