Rumour - Trade for RNH

OccamsRazor

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

Belle was overpaid as well...

Yeah... that's for sure.  But I kind of assume that was Hextall's way of taking care of the guy and doing him a favor. 

But Hextall signed Neuvy and Bellemare on trade deadline day.  I think it's safe to believe that he had a good idea that Vegas was planning to take one of them IF Hextall signed them (and he HAD to sign a goalie or basically lose Stolarz).  

If Hextall knows Vegas wants Belly and he doesn't resign him, then he's basically forcing Vegas' hand to take Leier or Raffl.  

Why on earth Vegas wanted Bellemare over either of them, I'll never know... I'd have taken Raffl in a heartbeat, but as was born out, they really seemed to want Bellemare.

Now in the case of Neuvy, Hextall has no choice.  He kinda had to give him what he wanted as long as it was within reason.  The pay increase was absurd for the season he had, but it wasn't cap crushing or absurd in the grand scheme of paying an NHL goalie.  Hextall had little choice but to cave (It's likely also safe to assume that Mason was asking for significantly more for a significantly longer duration).   It might have all worked out perfectly, but then Fleury inexplicably waived his NTC (why the hell does everyone need to do Mario favors like this?) and it make zero sense of Vegas to take Neuvy anymore.

So either way in both cases, your signing a guy essentially because you don't want him on your team and you're hoping Vegas will take him.   I believe everyone genuinely liked Bellemare and I believe most of his inexplicable raise came as a parting gift from Hextall because he had a pretty good idea that Vegas would be footing the bill.  

I truly think Hextall had coversations with McPhee in which he was basically told, "We want Neuvy or Belly".  When Fleury waived his NTC, it became clear that there was no sane reason for Vegas to take Neuvy, so they took Bellemare.  Vegas could have taken Leier or Raffle or even Read... but they chose Bellemar.  Clearly they wanted him.  I believe Hextall just tried to make sure Belly would get paid.  

1 hour ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

Not the way things are going now..........

Voracek is 8th in the league for pts with 30. The line he's on is arguably one of the top three most lethal in the entire NHL. I do understand the trade hype for Voracek, but he is worth more than RNH for sure.

As has been mentioned here, RNH for Gudas makes much more sense at least as far as the basic player swap goes. 

6 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Voracek is 8th in the league for pts with 30. The line he's on is arguably one of the top three most lethal in the entire NHL. I do understand the trade hype for Voracek, but he is worth more than RNH for sure.

As has been mentioned here, RNH for Gudas makes much more sense at least as far as the basic player swap goes. 

There is no way in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks we are getting RNH for Gudas.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this rumor. The Flyers are fine at center imo, it is the defense that needs help. Why on Earth would the Flyers move a D man for yet another center?

In additon Gudas ain't getting it done. More like Ghost and Flip to make the numbers work.

I want no part of this nonsense. 

42 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Myers for RNH?  I don't think Edmonton would go for that.  Myers may or may not turn into something special but he went undrafted.  RNH was #1 overall.  HUGE difference there.

@JR Ewing,

What say you?

Nugent-Hopkins is a fairly key piece going forward, I would say. Good two-way centre who is scoring at a 60 point pace and is finally good in the faceoff dot as well. It's almost as if he needed to get some man strength to help his development, and just --->maybe<--- the Oilers could have waited until he weighed more than 165 lbs to bring him into the NHL.

My guess is the Oilers like him where he is, and if he's traded, it's because another team really wants him. And when that happens, in any trade, the price goes up. What's a fair price? I don't really know. Fans are pretty famous for wanting to shovel their crap in exchange for another team's gold, so I just about never bother on that front.

11 hours ago, Bertmega said:

I am still trying to wrap my head around this rumor.

I seen Eklund mention it so i brought it up in a Hakstol thread as a distraction tool (was just wanting a new horse to beat the fire Hak thing was already stinking to high heaven-it worked someone made a thread aboot it) so it was i guess you can blame. *Reminding all it is just Ek click bait*

For discussuon only. Never going to happen- yet fun to kick the can up the street-no?

:VeryCool:

The worst part of all this is how we really have nothing in the way of details, yet we've manufactured a half dozen potential moves. This may quite possibly have nothing at all to do with RNH or Gudas.

(He says as he prepares to write about RNH for Gudas...)

That said, moving RNH for Gudas and something is not nearly as foolish as some here are suggesting. RNH being a 1st overall pick is fine, but he's never played like one. There are a number of players drafted that same year who -- in hindsight -- should have been taken before RNH. (Note: Coots is one)

Also, we are talking about Peter Chiarelli here. There's a pretty marked history of questionable Chiarelli trades that involve large names -- and RNH really isn't such a large name. 

Kessel, Seguin, Hall... all of those guys are better players than RNH, and all were moved by Chiarelli for lesser returns (Kessel being the oddball in all that, but he never bothered to stick with the return, which is just as bad). In some ways, he's a sort of anti-Hextall. When things slip, Chiarelli's tendency is to just go ahead and move something, regardless of the outcome. Past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour.

Moreover, moving RNH makes plenty of sense. They're already sitting on McDavid and Draisaitl down the middle, both of whom have had more success in the NHL than RNH. That leaves a six million per year RNH as the 3C. Let's say, as @brelic suggested, that Filppula is part of the trade. Filppula's contract is about up. At his age and level, he's still a decent 3C. In fact, that's probably exactly where he should be. At the end of his contract, he may even sign for peanuts for the chance to play with McDavid for a few years. If that's not completely enough, maybe EDM takes a prospect to top it off.

Again, given all this is us running on very little details, more than likely it's not going to happen. Still, I really don't think it's as foolish as others here seem to. I could totally see it happen.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

The worst part of all this is how we really have nothing in the way of details, yet we've manufactured a half dozen potential moves. This may quite possibly have nothing at all to do with RNH or Gudas.

(He says as he prepares to write about RNH for Gudas...)

That said, moving RNH for Gudas and something is not nearly as foolish as some here are suggesting. RNH being a 1st overall pick is fine, but he's never played like one. There are a number of players drafted that same year who -- in hindsight -- should have been taken before RNH. (Note: Coots is one)

Also, we are talking about Peter Chiarelli here. There's a pretty marked history of questionable Chiarelli trades that involve large names -- and RNH really isn't such a large name. 

Kessel, Seguin, Hall... all of those guys are better players than RNH, and all were moved by Chiarelli for lesser returns (Kessel being the oddball in all that, but he never bothered to stick with the return, which is just as bad). In some ways, he's a sort of anti-Hextall. When things slip, Chiarelli's tendency is to just go ahead and move something, regardless of the outcome. Past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour.

Moreover, moving RNH makes plenty of sense. They're already sitting on McDavid and Draisaitl down the middle, both of whom have had more success in the NHL than RNH. That leaves a six million per year RNH as the 3C. Let's say, as @brelic suggested, that Filppula is part of the trade. Filppula's contract is about up. At his age and level, he's still a decent 3C. In fact, that's probably exactly where he should be. At the end of his contract, he may even sign for peanuts for the chance to play with McDavid for a few years. If that's not completely enough, maybe EDM takes a prospect to top it off.

Again, given all this is us running on very little details, more than likely it's not going to happen. Still, I really don't think it's as foolish as others here seem to. I could totally see it happen.

See my post two spots back.

It's Eklund say no more.

Besides as we have seen Ron is very tight lipped when it comes to his moves.

And as frustrating as that is i also like that.

In fact if i'm honest i prefer that we shouldn't honestly get to know he his moves until he wants us too.

So it ain't going down.

But it doesn't mean we can't have fun talking about it.

I don't see Hextall doing anything at all even till at least it turns 2018.

No need to let the team try and sort this issue out.

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I seen Eklund mention it so i brought it up in a Hakstol thread as a distraction tool (was just wanting a new horse to beat the fire Hak thing was already stinking to high heaven-it worked someone made a thread aboot it) so it was i guess you can blame. *Reminding all it is just Ek click bait*

For discussuon only. Never going to happen- yet fun to kick the can up the street-no?

:VeryCool:

I certainly was a good distraction from the lynch mob over at the fire Hak thread. I actually went to HockeyBuzz to check out the comment section and the logic behind the rumor. Wow, I must say it has been nearly a decade since I visited that site. Nothing changed. Still FlyersBuzz.com

Did not read through the whole thread...but just off the top of my head, even though Schenn never worked out at center for the Flyers, it took away an option...and Cooter moving to the top line has created a bit of a hole at center. RNH is a nice piece, he learned how to play the game the right way, and is a respectable 2 way center in his own right. He makes to much to be a 3rd line center, so he would have to provide solid two way play from the #2 slot....and that is doable. 

Thing is, RNH's offense does not match his cap hit, so the Oilers are in a weakened position during potential negotiations. Gudas seems like the obvious choice, IF any other dman is thrown in....they must start upping the offer. Gudas's game can easily be replaced by Morin. I would never give up on a guy who can skate like Myers, and if he is included, you start really upping the stuff coming back. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Gudas's game can easily be replaced by Morin.

Jammer, I like Gudas but even before the suspension he was not playing well this year.   Now, I firmly believe that if you see a prosepct get moved it is going to be Morin.  I really think the organization is not very high on him.   Call it a hunch or whatever but I really think Morin is not what they thought he *might* be when they drrafted him...

12 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

Who is RNH?

Some people aren't privy to all the nicknames of every player in the league.  Its alot easier to decode a message if you clearly state the name of the player.

Sorry about that, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. 

9 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Jammer, I like Gudas but even before the suspension he was not playing well this year.   Now, I firmly believe that if you see a prosepct get moved it is going to be Morin.  I really think the organization is not very high on him.   Call it a hunch or whatever but I really think Morin is not what they thought he *might* be when they drrafted him...

I think it would be a real mistake to give up on Morin. Just the passing lanes alone he could cut off with that outrageous reach....I dunno, he moves well for a big man and has a mean streak, always room for guys like that on the roster. If he does get traded, I hope it's after he has a full year to prove himself at the NHL level. 

8 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

Who is RNH?

Some people aren't privy to all the nicknames of every player in the league.  Its alot easier to decode a message if you clearly state the name of the player.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Long name. Hence the RNH.

It's a pipe dream and somethung to discuss.

But as to what Jammer eluded to and what changed my mind really is his price tag. And this is said with all due respect to @JR Ewing with that price i don't give a f**k who/what/how the Oilers view him in order to take on that i would need more coming back or to at least take a

bad contract off ours hands like Mcdud, Wiese or even Lehtera.

So other than that his contract makes Coots contract look like a steal.

And noone has to agree with me but i'd rather ride this sh it storm out and wait for reinforcements from the kids.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

And noone has to agree with me but i'd rather ride this sh it storm out and wait for reinforcements from the kids.

There it is. Hexy *knew* there would be growing pains, and we are feeling the pinch this year. That is ok, part of the plan. The one thing you don't want to do, is over reach....RNH should be surpassed by Patrick in a year or two, then you have a 3rd line center making 6 mill...so the solution is simple, bide your time, stay patient and don't give up assets to help with short term problems. 

Archived