Rumour - Trade for RNH

OccamsRazor

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I think it would be a real mistake to give up on Morin. Just the passing lanes alone he could cut off with that outrageous reach....I dunno, he moves well for a big man and has a mean streak, always room for guys like that on the roster. If he does get traded, I hope it's after he has a full year to prove himself at the NHL level. 

Hell no i could be he only but i think Morin is going to be a keeper for a long time.

I do not want to move him 6-8 Dmen that skate as well as he does do not grow on trees.

He is a physical force the Flyers will need when they are ready to make a push when they are trying to make a serious playoff push in a year or two.

He is going to be a nice top 4 Dman who is going to clear the crease once Hart and Sandstrom arrive.

He is going to protect his goaltender and other guys on the team.

So hell no i'm not moving him!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I think it would be a real mistake to give up on Morin. Just the passing lanes alone he could cut off with that outrageous reach....I dunno, he moves well for a big man and has a mean streak, always room for guys like that on the roster. If he does get traded, I hope it's after he has a full year to prove himself at the NHL level. 

I agree completely.    I just feel like for some reason the Org has soured on him a bit.    Again, this is just a "feeling" and I could be way off base - I hope I am.   

I like RNH but not sure he is what we really need at this point - considering the 6M price tag I would lay low.   If you want to try and shake things up there are other financially savvy ways to about it.

23 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

Who is RNH?

Some people aren't privy to all the nicknames of every player in the league.  Its alot easier to decode a message if you clearly state the name of the player.

I just want to say the irony of your question coupled with your nickname.... AWESOME. 

:)

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I agree completely.    I just feel like for some reason the Org has soured on him a bit.    Again, this is just a "feeling" and I could be way off base - I hope I am.   

I like RNH but not sure he is what we really need at this point - considering the 6M price tag I would lay low.   If you want to try and shake things up there are other financially savvy ways to about it.

I think you're off base :) I think it comes down to the org feeling like Sam isn't quite ready. He's still just 22 and he was looking like he was ready to take a huge step in the AHL this year. Top pairing, big minutes, time to be the man. I'd like to see him take that step in the AHL - there's really no rush to get him up this year given Hagg and Sanheim.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But as to what Jammer eluded to and what changed my mind really is his price tag. And this is said with all due respect to @JR Ewing with that price i don't give a f**k who/what/how the Oilers view him in order to take on that i would need more coming back or to at least take a

Have you looked around at what players are being paid? What do you get for a $6M cap hit? A whole lot of 50-60 pt centres. A whole lot of players like Nugent-Hopkins... You don't have to like his cap hit, you can think it's too much, and that's all fine. The problem with that view, though, is that it's not in keeping with the cost of doing business in the NHL these days.

Just now, JR Ewing said:

Have you looked around at what players are being paid? What do you get for a $6M cap hit? A whole lot of 50-60 pt centres. A whole lot of players like Nugent-Hopkins... You don't have to like his cap hit, you can think it's too much, and that's all fine. The problem with that view, though, is that it's not in keeping with the cost of doing business in the NHL these days.

Yeah i know.

Ain't nothing i can do about about that but refuse to take on something like that.

But if we were to do that at Schenn's price tag i would prefered to hold to him then.

40 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

Who is RNH?

Some people aren't privy to all the nicknames of every player in the league.  Its alot easier to decode a message if you clearly state the name of the player.

It's not like folks have to use an enigma code breaker to figure out the player in question, since his actual name has been used in this thread. It just required some reading.

Just now, JR Ewing said:

It's not like folks have to use an enigma code breaker to figure out the player in question, since his actual name has been used in this thread. It just required some reading.

I know you would think with a name like magnumpi he would be into doing some sleuthing. Google, Bing or Alexa or something dear Lawd!

Damn millinials!!!!

:bonkingheadonwall:

23 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think you're off base :) I think it comes down to the org feeling like Sam isn't quite ready. He's still just 22 and he was looking like he was ready to take a huge step in the AHL this year. Top pairing, big minutes, time to be the man. I'd like to see him take that step in the AHL - there's really no rush to get him up this year given Hagg and Sanheim.

Not saying I disagree but it is the hunch I am getting.  Time will tell...

15 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Begrudgingly, you are right. Even though I do think RNH has turned himself into a complete player, he's soft. I guess that would be the cutting off point for me. Yes, he sticks his nose in there on defense, but does not really separate players from the puck forcibly....and that is kinda what I'm looking for in a 6 mill second option. He just kinda pesters and makes it tough on opponents, but no real in your face defense...in other words, he makes the team a bit easier to play against, and that is why I would say no....PLUS, a seemingly viable cheaper option in Patrick is there right now, just needs to develop his game at his own speed. 

After seeing what Vatanen went for, I think it's highly likely that RNH + would be required to get a guy like Gostisbehere or Gudas. Defensemen are a premium. If Edmonton wants one, I'd probably go with something like Gostisbehere for RNH + Ethan Bear and a draft pick. I know a lot won't like moving Gostisbehere, but you can put Provorov on the PP1 unit and still get the same production. RNH slots in very well on the 2nd line and that means you can move Voracek to that line and Simmonds up to the Giroux - Couturier line. You can also slot Konecny on the left side of RNH - Simmonds. It also allows the Flyers to move the waste of skin known as Fillpula to the left side of Patrick - Weal (I get that Weal plays the left side, but I think he could slot in just nicely on the right side of Patrick). 

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

After seeing what Vatanen went for, I think it's highly likely that RNH + would be required to get a guy like Gostisbehere or Gudas. Defensemen are a premium. If Edmonton wants one, I'd probably go with something like Gostisbehere for RNH + Ethan Bear and a draft pick. I know a lot won't like moving Gostisbehere, but you can put Provorov on the PP1 unit and still get the same production. RNH slots in very well on the 2nd line and that means you can move Voracek to that line and Simmonds up to the Giroux - Couturier line. You can also slot Konecny on the left side of RNH - Simmonds. It also allows the Flyers to move the waste of skin known as Fillpula to the left side of Patrick - Weal (I get that Weal plays the left side, but I think he could slot in just nicely on the right side of Patrick). 

If Hextall were willing to move Ghost for a package centered around Nugent-Hopkins, I think he would need his head examined. I like Nugent-Hopkins, but lust after a defenseman like that; who (aside from some size) is a prototype for the modern game from the back end. I'm well on record around here as saying that fans who expected him to perform like his rookie year were kidding themselves, but he's still a stud.

24 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Not saying I disagree but it is the hunch I am getting.  Time will tell...

If Sanheim and Hagg are not on the big club and it's veterans instead, I am convinced Morin would be here.

18 hours ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

Not the way things are going now..........

He's like 3rd in the league in assists.  you think other teams with coaches smart enough to not put him on the ice in the last 2 minutes of a close game will give a rip what stupid crap Hakstol pulled with him?

They'll be more concerned about the duration of the contract.  

36 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

If Hextall were willing to move Ghost for a package centered around Nugent-Hopkins, I think he would need his head examined. I like Nugent-Hopkins, but lust after a defenseman like that; who (aside from some size) is a prototype for the modern game from the back end. I'm well on record around here as saying that fans who expected him to perform like his rookie year were kidding themselves, but he's still a stud.

I am in total agreement.  Moving Ghost is moronic unless someone named Matthews or McDavid is involved.  There isn't a shot in the league like his and Karlsson is the only D man who can skate remoted like Ghost.  Subban has advantages on both of them, but that's a different story.    Ghost has his faults that keep him from being a Norris trophy winner, but for Hextall to trade him without the likes of Sanheim or Myers being totally apparently ready to take over for him would be insanity.  

53 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Ghost or Gudas?  As if they're even remotely in the same solar system as each other?  

Provorov can't replace Ghost on PP1 because there are probably only 2 or 3 other defensemen in the league who possible could replace Ghost on PP1.   Sanheim and Myers have that potential, but they're both a long long long way off.  

They've tried Simmonds with G and they've tried Simmonds with Couturier.  Doesn't work as well.  LEAVE THE TOP LINE ALONE.  Aside from Tampa's top line there's nothing producing quite like it in the league.  It's UNTOUCHABLE.  

Trade Gudas for RNH all you want.  Great.  Fine, but if you bring RNH to Philly you have to figure out what to do with Filppula in the short term.  Hakstol has been utterly reluctant to move him to wing (even though it would alleviate the need to play Weise and could give Patrick some real help).  

In the long term though, the last thing this team needs is another center.  Vecchione SHOULD be playing on this team now.  In the next two years, Frost & Rubstov will be knocking (very loudly) on the door as well.  Log Jamming this team's middle with a positive but so far overall disappointing RNH just doesn't seem to make a ton of sense.  Especially with you take into account that Vecchione, Frost and Patrick aren't like Giroux.  These guys are all natural centers whose strengths lie embedded in that position.  

This deal only makes sense if RNH can be shifted to wing.  

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They'll be more concerned about the duration of the contract.  

Exactly, I have to be honest I am not sure what Jake would get us in a return.   I do believe that the cap hit and term would give pause to a team looking to acquire him.   But, if a team was on a position to make a serious run and wanted to add a piece he would be a good fit...

The only question is what is the market value for Jake when you take into account the term and cap hit.   I have no idea right now....

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

I can't imagine how they could have soured on him.  They haven't given him a real chance.  

I think they're just scared of playing too many rookies.   I think back to 2007 though and while they weren't "rookie rookies" they didn't give a rip about the young Richards, Carter, Umberger, Upshall, Potulny, Picard and Pitkanen getting their butts handed to them night in and night out.  

Unless Hextall is looking at Picard and Potulny and saying, hey... if we'd have just let them develop instead of putting them on a crappy team, maybe they wouldn't have fizzled and vanished?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hell no i could be he only but i think Morin is going to be a keeper for a long time.

I do not want to move him 6-8 Dmen that skate as well as he does do not grow on trees.

He is a physical force the Flyers will need when they are ready to make a push when they are trying to make a serious playoff push in a year or two.

He is going to be a nice top 4 Dman who is going to clear the crease once Hart and Sandstrom arrive.

He is going to protect his goaltender and other guys on the team.

So hell no i'm not moving him!

THIS THIS THIS.

This kid needs NHL minutes.  He's going to make mistakes at first.  It's going to happen.  But he can't learn how to prevent those mistakes in Lehigh Valley anymore.   

THere may be a certain degree of dog house happening after whatever that mystery injury situation was, but long story short they need to get him into the lineup now.  He will become that mainstay top 4 D man a lot sooner.

The Flyers have lost 9 in a row anyway.  What on earth do they have to lose?  Hextall's got this mentality that they're going to damage Morin somehow by putting too many kids out there.  I DO NOT GET THAT.

How is he not being damaged more playing against weaker competition in the AHL?

How are Provo, Hagg and Sanheim not being damaged more now playing with inferior veteran team mates and LOSING EVERY NIGHT anyway?

I really don't understand the logic.  It would be one thing if the kids on the Flyers now were learning from their veteran leadership partners, but they're just learning what not to do.  

10 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Exactly, I have to be honest I am not sure what Jake would get us in a return.   I do believe that the cap hit and term would give pause to a team looking to acquire him.   But, if a team was on a position to make a serious run and wanted to add a piece he would be a good fit...

The only question is what is the market value for Jake when you take into account the term and cap hit.   I have no idea right now....

Well right now, the Avalanche, Hurrcanes and Coyotes are the only teams that could fit him under their caps outright.  Edmonton could if they send a guy like RNH back for him.  

I don't get the impression that any of those teams are in a desperate "win now or else" mentality right now... although Edmonton seems like they could be had looking at what they're paying Draisaitl and Lucic, then again their cap hit will be going through the roof next year.  They'll actually need to shed 3 million or so.   

It does make sense that they'd be looking to trade RNH.  Next year they'll literally have almost $28million invested in 3 centers.  That makes little sense.   They may be gunning for D men like Eklund says, but I'd be willing to be that Simmonds is more the thing on their wish list as well. Their forwards need a finishing wing (who doesn't) more than they need a shambling chaotic play maker like Jake.  

48 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I am in total agreement.  Moving Ghost is moronic unless someone named Matthews or McDavid is involved.  There isn't a shot in the league like his and Karlsson is the only D man who can skate remoted like Ghost.  Subban has advantages on both of them, but that's a different story.    Ghost has his faults that keep him from being a Norris trophy winner, but for Hextall to trade him without the likes of Sanheim or Myers being totally apparently ready to take over for him would be insanity.  

what? Gostisbehere does not carry the same value as Matthews and McDavid and he is not as good as Karlsson. Not even close 

1 minute ago, RJ8812 said:

what? Gostisbehere does not carry the same value as Matthews and McDavid and he is not as good as Karlsson. Not even close 

I didn't say any of the above.

I said Karlsson is the only D man who can skate like Ghost.  Karlsson's much better at a few things Ghost isn't there yet on.  However, I will also suggest that Ottawa is far more willing to let Karlsson take over a game when they need a goal than the Flyers are willing to unleash Ghost.

As far as comparing him to Matthews or McDavid... I wasn't comparing him straight up and no sane GM would trade either one for Ghost.  My point was more rhetorical in suggesting that you just don't trade a talent like Ghost for a RNH or even a RNH and a pick.  It would have to be something significantly more valuable for it to start making sense.  Let me be clear... NO SUCH TRADE WOULD EVER HAPPEN and if it did, Ghost would be one of a few players going back.  Ghost Coots and Patrick might be a start.  Ghost and Provo maybe.  McDavid is never getting traded unless he falls off a cliff.  

I also want to be clear that Ghost is scoring well for the Flyers, but I still believe that he is being held back.  We are seeing none of the skate work that he torched the league with his rookie half season.  We're seeing none of those dances through the neutral zone that left entire traps spinning like tops looking for their jocks.   

Ghost can do so much more than he is and even with what he's being permitted to do, he's still an incredibly valuable player, but could be worth so much more to a team not afraid to utilize his abilities.  

Archived