Carey Price

BluPuk

Wow. Does anyone still think a world  cosmos class goalie doesn't make a real impact ?  Carey Price - 3 games back since his injury, and two goals scored on him. Two, stingy goals. He is one of those players whose games I watch whenever I can even though I'm not a fan of his team. Like I did with Orr, Gretzky, and Lemieux. You lucky buggers Habs fans ......... enjoy.

An elite goalie will ALWAYS be a valuable commodity in the NHL.

Always.

I don't think something like that was ever in question.

However, with the way the NHL and its push for scoring (and the myriad of talented scorers and playmakers becoming more and more available), I don't think it is NECESSARY to have an elite level goalie to win a championship.

That said, the goalie STILL needs to be at least "good to above average" as mediocre goaltending will surely be a liability en route to a title.

Regarding Price, well, yes, he is a fantastic goaltender who seems to have gotten out from under whatever funk or issue was ailing him.

And, as expected, he is carrying his team.

For how long will remain to be seen, but at some point, the offense will still need to catch fire in at least 2 of the 4 lines (3 would be ideal), and the defense STILL has to play a stout brand of coverage and chip in on offense as well if this team has any chance to sniff the playoffs.....much less win a Cup.

And make no mistake....it is either Cup or nothing in Montreal.

I maintained elsewhere that the "feel good" vibe going on in Montreal will keep things under wraps for now....but what will happen if the team starts to struggle to win games again?  Will Price become disgruntled once again and perhaps thoughts of wanting out of Habs Land creep into his mind?

Will this current win streak have GM Marc Bergevin thinking everything is fine now and nothing further needs to be done (BIG mistake, IMO) and he will basically 'stand pat' until another gasket blows somewhere?

These are things that are worth watching for.

As long as Price can carry the team, Montreal will be continued to be talked about with regards to playoffs and even the Cup.

But to me, at the end of the day, the Habs are still constructed rather flimsy, and it wouldn't take much to wreck the house of cards that is, as of late, holding.

Another solid defenseman, maybe another goal scorer, and perhaps a depth forward is needed (along with the current crop of guys holding up their end) to ensure Montreal has a real shot at a playoff run.

For now, they can just go as far as Price is able (or willing) to take them.

Archived