Derek Dorsett forced to retire

yave1964

Image result for derek dorsettA fan favorite, Derek Dorsett was forced today to retire mid career.

Dorsett a rugged take no prisoner customer had back surgery where they took bone from his hip and used it to fuse several vertebrae in his neck was told by his doctors to retire because of the health risks. What sucks is he was off to a very good start to the season, proving that he could do more than just mix them up Image result for derek dorsettalthough he could do that with the best of them.

"I still have so many thoughts to share and people to thank for all of their support," continued Dorsett. "What I can say for certain right now is that I left it all out on the ice. I gave my heart and soul to the teams I played for and never backed down from a challenge, including this one. I am proud of the way I played. It made me successful and a good teammate. Most of all I am truly honoured and grateful to have lived the NHL dream."

For his career Dorsett played parts or all of ten years and 515 games scoring 51 goals and with an absurd 1314 penalty minutes. He had 7 goals in 20 games this year trying t6o play through the injury before giving up.

Wow.

I hadn't been following the news since he was taken off the active roster, so I had no idea a retirement was imminent.

Kinda sudden...although I am sure he and his doctors already knew what would be the likely outcome given his condition.

Quality of life is more important than continuing to try and play out a career, that, as was mentioned, was going pretty well and he was evolving into a complete hockey player and not just a set of fists on the ice.

Canucks will miss him sorely, but I am sure his family will be glad to have him take care of his injuries and live out a full life with them.

If I was his wife, I would certainly be looking forward to having him back home full time and fully functional, despite whatever pride I may have had in his evolving career.

Archived