Building just like Hexy/Lombo did?

icehole

I was reading an article from CSN philly.  They were talking about the flyers rebuild and how long it should take.  They talked about Chicago, but they focused on LA because of the Hextall connection.

Lombardi took over in 2006 and Hextall came on board in 2007.  It starts by saying that Brown, Kopitar, and Quick were already acquired by the previous GM (ok...now you can Google who that was).  I didn't know that and it got my attention.

So I looked into their draft picks during their rebuild that led them to two cups.

2006 Jonathon bernier-11th (backup goalie)
Trevor lewis-17th (7&11 points in the 2 cup years)

2007 Thomas hickey-4 (never made the team and was picked up by NYI off waivers)

2008 Drew doughty-2 (that was a tough decision.  Stamkos was probably the only one close to Doughty, and he went #1)
colten teubert-13 (played 24 games in NHL...none with LA)

2009 Braden schenn-5 (traded 2 years after draft.  How dumb is that to deal young talent for proven players...right?)

2010 Derek forbort-15 (who?)

2011 Christopher gibson-49 (again...who?)

2012 tanner pearson-30 (7 points in 2014 cup season)

2013 some Russian name I've never heard of.

Now, I don't give credit to Hexy for winning the cups so I'm not going to blame him for things that didn't go so well.  But do these drafts make the Hexy/Lombardi duo the masters of the rebuild?  Are the flyers developing Jonathon bernier, trevor lewis, Thomas hickey, colten teubert, Derek forbort-15, Christopher gibson, tanner pearson-30 to be contenders in 5 years.

Wow, that gets me excited!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So CSN Philly knows how long a rebuild should take?

I'd hate it if Hextall won 2 cups in Philly....I'd prefer the Holmgren way of trading  your young assets away and fluking your way into a final in a shootout on the last game of the season and watching the worst goaltending duel in playoff history unfold.

I miss those illustrious careers we watched of Syvret/Modry/Versteeg that only cost us 2-1sts and a 3rd...and getting to watch Bryz turn the Flyers org. into the punchline of the biggest joke in the NHL....while Bob turns into a Vezina winner ....good times.

Hextall may not be turning this franchise around in record time. But at least he isn't leaving it in shambles with some of the worst contracts in the entire league.

Relax.

Maybe even find something else to watch bro.

You seem to be tressing to much.

This is like finally taking the training wheels off your child's bike for the first time.

They have to learn on their own and in the process there still will be some skint knees along the way.

And even when they have shown they have it down....there will still be falls in there....no other way around it...have to take your lumps as you learn....no one else can't take it for you.

This is the adversity that builds character.

They will have to learn to fight there way out of it.

And the biggest thing is there is no exact time table for how long it is going to take.

Ron is showing he has faith they will figure it out.

2 hours ago, icehole said:

Quick

Maybe the Flyers already have their version.

Yeah i know you don't like to wait for it...but consider it a present under the Christmas tree!

Patience Danielsan!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe the Flyers already have their version.

Yeah i know you don't like to wait for it...but consider it a present under the Christmas tree!

Patience Danielsan!!!!!!

Maybe, but given Hextall's track record so far, I'm not very confident.

1 minute ago, icehole said:

Maybe, but given Hextall's track record so far, I'm not very confident.

Well duh. Do you think i didn't know how you felt about him??

Point being once this kid arrives they will be even better. However you must know it is one to two years away.

But by then he should have a very damn good blueline in front of him.

I get that everyone is very high on Carter Hart, but don't forget about Felix Sandstrom either. One of the things that I've mentioned about Hart that has me kind of nervous is that he plays on very strict defensive Everett club that has a swarming defense that will scoop up any rebound he gives up. As well, at last year's WJC tournament, Hart was lit up like a Christmas tree and he looked incredibly shaky when the game goes from a defensive battle to a wide open game. He didn't play angles well, he gave up bad rebounds and he was weak glove side on a few goals. So while Hart might be sporting a .951 save percentage and a 1.7 GAA in the WHL, I'm not going to annoint him the saviour of the franchise just yet. As well, there's also a kid name Kirill Ustimenko that is having a very good season the MHL in Russia. He is also another guy that could really push Hart when he gets over. 

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a goaltending pipeline like this in all my time as a Flyers fan. 

15 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Felix Sandstrom

Also keep in mind Felix has struggled this year too and is almost 2 full years older. They are both young and have a ways to go before they even see the Flyers a lot can happen between now and then.

Hart's mechanics for such a young age are still ahead of Felix's. Regardless when the time is right the loser of the battle will be flipped for a real nice piece the Flyers will need at the time.

3 hours ago, icehole said:

I was reading an article from CSN philly.  They were talking about the flyers rebuild and how long it should take.  They talked about Chicago, but they focused on LA because of the Hextall connection.

Lombardi took over in 2006 and Hextall came on board in 2007.  It starts by saying that Brown, Kopitar, and Quick were already acquired by the previous GM (ok...now you can Google who that was).  I didn't know that and it got my attention.

So I looked into their draft picks during their rebuild that led them to two cups.

2006 Jonathon bernier-11th (backup goalie)
Trevor lewis-17th (7&11 points in the 2 cup years)

2007 Thomas hickey-4 (never made the team and was picked up by NYI off waivers)

2008 Drew doughty-2 (that was a tough decision.  Stamkos was probably the only one close to Doughty, and he went #1)
colten teubert-13 (played 24 games in NHL...none with LA)

2009 Braden schenn-5 (traded 2 years after draft.  How dumb is that to deal young talent for proven players...right?)

2010 Derek forbort-15 (who?)

2011 Christopher gibson-49 (again...who?)

2012 tanner pearson-30 (7 points in 2014 cup season)

2013 some Russian name I've never heard of.

Now, I don't give credit to Hexy for winning the cups so I'm not going to blame him for things that didn't go so well.  But do these drafts make the Hexy/Lombardi duo the masters of the rebuild?  Are the flyers developing Jonathon bernier, trevor lewis, Thomas hickey, colten teubert, Derek forbort-15, Christopher gibson, tanner pearson-30 to be contenders in 5 years.

Wow, that gets me excited!

I really believe that this Flyers rebuild is much further ahead than most other rebuilds with even better talent. I look at the first round picks alone since Hextall has taken over - Sanheim, Provorov, Konecny, Rubtsov, Patrick, and Frost and we're looking at two cornerstone defenders and four top six forwards. Then you take a look at the rest of the picks under the Hextall watch. From the Sanheim draft, there's Aube-Kubel, who looks to be a potential 2nd/3rd line right winger with 15 to 20 goal upside with speed and tenacity. Then you've got Mark Friedman, a Timmonen type of defender in the third. Then you've got the gem of their picks in Oskar Lindblom, who is developing in Lehigh Valley and who's upside is that of a first line left winger. Add in Radel Fazleev and you've got a bottom six guy who can be your defensive conscience. Some might see him as a dime a dozen bottom six guy, but I see his value as a very good penalty killer that will give you a solid 10 goals a year. 

In terms of the 2015 draft, no picks in the second round as the Flyers used them to move back into the first to grab Travis Konecny, an extremely talented winger who's stuck with talentless linemates. That's no fault of his own, but we won't get into that. In terms of round three, the Flyers selected one of the top rated goalies in the draft in Felix Sandstrom and then grabbed another goalie in Matej Tomek, who was absolutely ruined at North Dakota and has had no choice but to go back to the USHL to get in games and will probably head overseas next year to play. I still think Tomek can be a player, but he needs to catch up on missing practically two years worth of time that he wasn't used. Samuel Dove-McFalls turned out to be a throw away pick in the 4th, but with a pick that the Flyers acquired from the Kings, they unearthed gem Mikhail Vorobyov, someone who is expected to solidify the third line with stellar two-way play. He's a very solid playmaker and the puck seems to follow him around. David Kase was selected in the fifth round and it wasn't until he moved to the SEL from the Czech Extra League that he's started to blossom. The 6th round brought in Cooper Marody, a guy who was rated to go in the 2nd round, but fell to the 6th because scouts in part felt that his numbers were inflated playing alongside Kyle Connor. As we've seen this year, that's farthest from the truth and it's possible that Marody will be moved to the wing to fill in one of the wing spots. Hextall spent his final pick on Russian goaltender Ivan Fedotov, who could cross overseas some day, but right now, it looks like his career might be that of a KHL backup goaltender. 

The 2016 draft has been perhaps the best draft of the Hextall era. Besides moving down in the first round to grab German Rubtsov, considered one of the best two-way centers in the draft and a top 10 talent that fell due to a doping scandal by team Russia, Hextall really hit some home runs in the second round of that draft. While Pascal Laberge is turning out to be a flop (in part because of a dirty hit that really changed his game), the other two picks in the 2nd round, Carter Hart and Wade Allison, have really been value picks. We all know about Hart's accolades in the Western Hockey League and is one of the better goaltenders in junior hockey. Allison is a big physical winger that can really skate and is a big time goal scorer at the NCAA level. His game should really translate well at the NHL level and could be the replacement for Simmonds. Third round pick Carson Twarynski is also a big, physical winger that will really settle in well on the third line, where he can use his size to open up ice for his teammates. He's not a bad skater by any means and can also drop back to play defense in a pinch. He's an overager in the WHL this year and next year, he'll be in Lehigh Valley where his size and ability will be on display. The steal of this draft comes in at round 4 in Connor Bunnaman. When Bunnaman was drafted, he was in at just 6'0, 185 pounds. However, Bunnaman is now a 6'2, 200 pound center/left winger that has excellent two-way ability. In his draft plus one season, Bunnaman scored 37 goals while playing on the third line with extensive PK1 and PP2 time. He'll more than likely move to the wing as well due to the centers the Flyers have in the system. Round 5 unearthed defenseman Linus Hogberg, the youngest player that draft year and currently playing in the SEL against men. Hogberg has incredible upside in terms of being an elite two-way defender. He's a terrific skater with great defensive awareness and puck movement ability. The offense isn't quite there yet, but the skills are evident. The good news is that he just turned 19 and will more than likely be on Sweden's WJC team this year. In round six, the Flyers drafted two players. The first one was a kid from the USHL named Tanner Laczynski, who has gone on to become one of the better scorers in the NCAA on an Ohio State team that for all intents purposes, has no business to be doing as well as they have. His numbers might look pedestrian to some (20 points in 15 games), but he's the offensive dynamo on the Ohio State team. He'll more than likely be signed at the end of his NCAA season. The other player drafted in the sixth was Anthony Salinitri, a teammate of Travis Konecny's in Sarnia. He's a decent player, but nothing to write home about. I expect the Flyers to walk away from him and he becomes a free agent. The final pick of the Flyers draft in 2016 was David Bernhardt, a 6'3, 200 pound defenseman who is also working his way through the SEL. There's skating issues with Bernhardt, but for a 7th round pick, he's a value pick.

Finally, in terms 2017, we pretty much know how that draft is turning out. We all know about Nolan Patrick, but Morgan Frost is turning out to be a real gem in the first. Add in 6'6, 200 pound left winger Isaac Ratcliffe in the second and there's two players so far who are at least 6'2 with 200 pounds of weight on their frame. In terms of Ratcliffe, we're looking at a guy who is probably going to top out at 230 - 240 pounds. Third round pick Kirill Ustimenko is playing incredibly well in the Russian MHL and will probably be KHL bound next year. It's possible he comes over in two years time to challenge for one of the goaltending spots in the system. Fourth round pick Matthew Strome has skating issues (which he's addressing under the tutelage of Barbara Underhill - one of the best skating coaches in the world and has worked extensively with various NHL players). His IQ and ability are off the chart though and when you factor in Matthew's size (6'3, 200 pounds) there's yet another winger with size added to the pipeline. Second 4th round pick Maxim Sushko is a speed demon with a non stop motor and a fearless attitude as well. He might never be more than a role player in the bottom six, but he's definitely got some good upside. As for the rest of the picks. Ollie Lycksell could really surprise. 

Now, I certainly don't expect everyone from the bunch to make it. However, I certainly expect that are a number of NHLers out of this group, even if they don't become regulars in Philadelphia. However, my point is that in terms of a talent standpoint, Hextall is much further ahead than Lombardi ever was with regards to drafting. Hextall doesn't always take the safest player approach, but rather which player has the highest upside and he never drafts out of need, it's always best player available. In terms of the scouting department in Philadelphia, I don't think too much has changed, other than Hextall has changed the directive from who has the ability to reach their floor to who has the highest upside. 

There's a lot to be excited about in terms of the future in Philadelphia. There's a lot of talent that Hextall selected and there's a reason the Flyers farm system has become the envy of most around the NHL. This is a real good group of prospects that Hextall has built. I don't see many reaches in the system. 

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

So CSN Philly knows how long a rebuild should take?

I'd hate it if Hextall won 2 cups in Philly....I'd prefer the Holmgren way of trading  your young assets away and fluking your way into a final in a shootout on the last game of the season and watching the worst goaltending duel in playoff history unfold.

I miss those illustrious careers we watched of Syvret/Modry/Versteeg that only cost us 2-1sts and a 3rd...and getting to watch Bryz turn the Flyers org. into the punchline of the biggest joke in the NHL....while Bob turns into a Vezina winner ....good times.

Hextall may not be turning this franchise around in record time. But at least he isn't leaving it in shambles with some of the worst contracts in the entire league.

Hey buddy!  I love how you read what you want to read.

I never said anything about CSN knowing how long a rebuild would take.  I don't even know if they are pro Hextall or anti Hextall.  I think they were actually trying to say that it took Hextall 6 years to rebuild in LA, so we should be patient.  I did a little research and found out that Hextall and Lombardi had nothing to do with building through the draft.  Their draft picks did absolutely nothing.

The only things that worked for them were trading away assets and taking credit for players that we're already in the system...the Homgren way as you called it.

Say all you want about Holmgrens days.  I'll put your "Hextall is building a good team" against my "Holmgren won a lot of hockey and it was fun to watch" in a court of law, and I'll win the case every time.

Leaving it in shambles?  Were they on a ten game LOSING streak when Holmgren was canned?  By canned, I mean promoted to be Hextall's boss.  Better check who is responsible for the shambles pal.

And don't worry if Hextall wins 2 cups.  Odds are that he won't even come close. I'll be surprised if he wins another game.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

I did a little research and found out that Hextall and Lombardi had nothing to do with building through the draft.  Their draft picks did absolutely nothing.

What?

Uh Tanner Pearson, Tyler Toffoli, Kyle Clifford, Drew Doughty, Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King,  and Trevor Lewis.

Those guys were all drafted by them.

So yeah most were not even high draft picks buy they were key role players to help brings Cups to LA!

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What?

Uh Tanner Pearson, Tyler Toffoli, Kyle Clifford, Drew Doughty, Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King,  and Trevor Lewis.

Those guys were all drafted by them.

So yeah most were not even high draft picks buy they were key role players to help brings Cups to LA!

Ok.  So we're talking about players that helped them win the cup right?  That's what this debate is about...the rebuild that got them 2 cups.

Tanner Pearson - 7pts in 2013/14

Tyler Taffoli - 29pts in 2013/2014

Kyle Clifford - 12&8 points in '12 & '14

Drew Doughty - as I said, it sort of seems like a no brainer.  I don't know what the feeling was at the time, but if stamkos goes #1, didn't they sort of have to take Doughty?  Maybe those other guys were higher ranked...I don't know.

Slava Voynov - 20 & 34 in '12 & '14

Alec Martinez - 12 & 22 in '12 & '14

Dwight King - 14 & 30 in '12 & '14

Trevor Lewis - 7 & 11 in '12 & '14

A few of those guys have respectable 3rd line numbers, which is what I would expect from where they were drafted (not in the first round).  When I researched I was only going as far as their first pick or their first round pick/s.  Besides Doughty, they really schzit the bed on first picks.

So what you're saying is Frost, Rubstov, & Lindblom might put up those third line numbers that they need to compliment the stars that this flyers team has?

If your expectations are players that will put up 29, 34, 22, and 30 points, I can believe that.  I think people have higher expectations though (from what I've been reading).  It seems like these players are expected to be the stars and the core, not support the core.  If they end up being 3rd and 4th line caliber players, who is going to be the stars and core players?

Also, can we agree that it's more likely they don't win the cups without Brown, kopitar, quick, Carter, and Richard's than it would be without Pearson, Taffoli, Clifford, king, and lewis?

1 hour ago, icehole said:

Ok.  So we're talking about players that helped them win the cup right?  That's what this debate is about...the rebuild that got them 2 cups.

Tanner Pearson - 7pts in 2013/14

Tyler Taffoli - 29pts in 2013/2014

Kyle Clifford - 12&8 points in '12 & '14

Drew Doughty - as I said, it sort of seems like a no brainer.  I don't know what the feeling was at the time, but if stamkos goes #1, didn't they sort of have to take Doughty?  Maybe those other guys were higher ranked...I don't know.

Slava Voynov - 20 & 34 in '12 & '14

Alec Martinez - 12 & 22 in '12 & '14

Dwight King - 14 & 30 in '12 & '14

Trevor Lewis - 7 & 11 in '12 & '14

A few of those guys have respectable 3rd line numbers, which is what I would expect from where they were drafted (not in the first round).  When I researched I was only going as far as their first pick or their first round pick/s.  Besides Doughty, they really schzit the bed on first picks.

So what you're saying is Frost, Rubstov, & Lindblom might put up those third line numbers that they need to compliment the stars that this flyers team has?

If your expectations are players that will put up 29, 34, 22, and 30 points, I can believe that.  I think people have higher expectations though (from what I've been reading).  It seems like these players are expected to be the stars and the core, not support the core.  If they end up being 3rd and 4th line caliber players, who is going to be the stars and core players?

Also, can we agree that it's more likely they don't win the cups without Brown, kopitar, quick, Carter, and Richard's than it would be without Pearson, Taffoli, Clifford, king, and lewis?

If the Flyers win 2 Cups i don't give a f**k where they were drafted or how many points they even score. 

You're overthinking this.

I don't know how any of will turn out right now.

How may Cups did they win doing it the other way?

Holmgren's teams were 5th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 3rd in the division.

They missed the playoffs twice, lost in the first round twice, made the second round twice and had a conference final and a cup final (with a team that qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the season).

He traded away a Vezina winning goalie, committed the team to two players for 10 years, traded them and blew up the Cup Final team, signed Bryzgalov, bet the future on a 34 year old defenseman and left a team that didn't make the playoffs two of three years after he left with a farm system that literally had NOTHING in it.

You can call that "success" but it isn't a very impressive list of "accomplishments."

13 hours ago, icehole said:

Hey buddy!  I love how you read what you want to read.

I never said anything about CSN knowing how long a rebuild would take. 

"I was reading an article from CSN philly.  They were talking about the flyers rebuild and how long it should take."

Pardon me...but isn't the above quote taken directly from your opening post...as a matter of fact, the first two lines of your opening post? I only read what YOU wrote...and responded to it...on a discussion board. Call me crazy.

I don't even know if they are pro Hextall or anti Hextall.  I think they were actually trying to say that it took Hextall 6 years to rebuild in LA, so we should be patient.  I did a little research and found out that Hextall and Lombardi had nothing to do with building through the draft.  Their draft picks did absolutely nothing.

Their draft picks did absolutely nothing...but help win a cup. 

The only things that worked for them were trading away assets and taking credit for players that we're already in the system...the Homgren way as you called it.

I don't have a problem with trading away assets to take a shot with a cup contender. Hextall has loaded this team with youth and draft picks. If he continues to do that, when the Flyers are ready, he can afford to make deals like that. Holmgren thought every single trade deadline was when you should get rid of draft picks for old washed up hasbeens. You don't take your shot every...single...year.

Say all you want about Holmgrens days.  I'll put your "Hextall is building a good team" against my "Holmgren won a lot of hockey and it was fun to watch" in a court of law, and I'll win the case every time.

No...you won't.

I'll offer up the jury the Bobrovsky trade/Bryz signing, the LeCavalier signing, the McDud signing, his Syvret for a 1st trade, his Versteeg for a 1st trade his throwing away of 2nd round picks and they'll tar and feather you, hang you, then throw you in front of a firing squad....then urinate on your corpse whist pillaging your bank account. (hey, YOU brought the lawyers in...sorry vis )

Leaving it in shambles?  Were they on a ten game LOSING streak when Holmgren was canned?  By canned, I mean promoted to be Hextall's boss.  Better check who is responsible for the shambles pal.

He left the Flyers with one of if not THE worst farm system in the league...several longterm contracts that were considered imoveable (that Hextall moved). The Flyers now have the best farm in the league. I know you can't look past the game they're playing, but it's kind of important in a capped league to have cheap quality young talent to bring in. 

Homer got "promoted" after the Flyers went out in the 1st round...ahhh...what a ride that was huh?

And don't worry if Hextall wins 2 cups.  Odds are that he won't even come close. I'll be surprised if he wins another game.

I'd bet if we went into a court of law and you said they likely wouldn't win another game and I disagreed...I'd win. :naughty:

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@Podein25

TBH I'm not sure I follow Ice's logic in this one.

It's his usual anti-draft/anti-prospects thing, which I've given up trying to understand (in fairness, it's not meant to be understood, it's like arguing with someone over whether God exists or not = pointless).

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I did appreciate @BobbyClarkeFan16 's break down of the Flyers drafts though. 

So it's not a total steaming pile of deuces.

Agreed. Carry on.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:49 PM, radoran said:

Holmgren's teams were 5th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 3rd in the division.

They missed the playoffs twice, lost in the first round twice, made the second round twice and had a conference final and a cup final (with a team that qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the season).

He traded away a Vezina winning goalie, committed the team to two players for 10 years, traded them and blew up the Cup Final team, signed Bryzgalov, bet the future on a 34 year old defenseman and left a team that didn't make the playoffs two of three years after he left with a farm system that literally had NOTHING in it.

You can call that "success" but it isn't a very impressive list of "accomplishments."

Sometimes I think people feel my hatred toward Hextall is somehow tied to a love for Holmgren.  I know Holmgren made many mistakes and I'm well aware of his shortcomings.

The difference is that Holmgren took big risks that usually brought excitement to the team, whereas Hextall has no interest in bringing excitement to the team.  He feels that if he does the safe move every time for a long time, eventually it will work out.

My feeling is and always has been, through all of this pain and 10 game losing streaks and dull boring players, one day Hextall's team will be just good enough to be 5th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 3rd in the division. To miss playoffs twice, lose in the first round twice, make the second round twice and have a conference final and a cup final.

They will land in the same spot but they will get there in a much slower, painful manner.

For the record, I couldn't care less if they never win a cup again.  A championship doesn't mean much I can't relate to the team.  I didn't realize it until this era of flyers hockey.

On 12/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, flyercanuck said:

"I was reading an article from CSN philly.  They were talking about the flyers rebuild and how long it should take."

Pardon me...but isn't the above quote taken directly from your opening post...as a matter of fact, the first two lines of your opening post? I only read what YOU wrote...and responded to it...on a discussion board. Call me crazy.

Their draft picks did absolutely nothing...but help win a cup. 

I don't have a problem with trading away assets to take a shot with a cup contender. Hextall has loaded this team with youth and draft picks. If he continues to do that, when the Flyers are ready, he can afford to make deals like that. Holmgren thought every single trade deadline was when you should get rid of draft picks for old washed up hasbeens. You don't take your shot every...single...year.

No...you won't.

I'll offer up the jury the Bobrovsky trade/Bryz signing, the LeCavalier signing, the McDud signing, his Syvret for a 1st trade, his Versteeg for a 1st trade his throwing away of 2nd round picks and they'll tar and feather you, hang you, then throw you in front of a firing squad....then urinate on your corpse whist pillaging your bank account. (hey, YOU brought the lawyers in...sorry vis )

He left the Flyers with one of if not THE worst farm system in the league...several longterm contracts that were considered imoveable (that Hextall moved). The Flyers now have the best farm in the league. I know you can't look past the game they're playing, but it's kind of important in a capped league to have cheap quality young talent to bring in. 

Homer got "promoted" after the Flyers went out in the 1st round...ahhh...what a ride that was huh?

I'd bet if we went into a court of law and you said they likely wouldn't win another game and I disagreed...I'd win. :naughty:

Didn't get a chance to read this whole thing but the thread has nothing to do with what CSN thinks.  That was just the lead in that led me to write this.  Sorry for the confusion.

Did LA really lose with their 1st round drafts...yes.

Did they get average production out of their later round draft picks...yes.

Did they win the cups with key acquisitions and previous regime drafts...yes.

Does this give me confidence in Hextall rebuilding through the draft...absolutely not.

Are these not facts?  What am I saying wrong here?

15 minutes ago, icehole said:

one day Hextall's team will be just good enough to be 5th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 3rd in the division. To miss playoffs twice, lose in the first round twice, make the second round twice and have a conference final and a cup final

Wow you can see all that right??

So tell me what the lotto numbers are while you're at.

10 minutes ago, icehole said:

Did LA really lose with their 1st round drafts...yes.

Did they get average production out of their later round draft picks...yes.

Did they win the cups with key acquisitions and previous regime drafts...yes.

Does this give me confidence in Hextall rebuilding through the draft...absolutely not.

Are these not facts?  What am I saying wrong here?

What does it matter how they won them??

They won Cups!!!

Please if the Flyers ever win a Cup don't be THAT guy who bitches about the score or the fact that Ghost was Homer's draft pick and Giroux was drafted by Clarke.

Who cares the win is all that matters.

Archived