icehole

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hewey Lewis.

C'mon old fart try harder!

:rage:

Lol, it was my first guess without the help of Google. My other guess was Loverboy, but I thought the odds of Rad picking lyrics from a Canadian band were low.

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, it was my first guess without the help of Google. My other guess was Loverboy, but I thought the odds of Rad picking lyrics from a Canadian band were low.

Unless it's Great Big Sea you're probably right :cheers:

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You mean like this? And this is against a pretty decent forward...forget his name...

giphy.gif

....textbook!!!

Such a great hit. Completely neutralized. No chance of a penalty. No trying to injure. Just a good clean get out of my house kind of hit.

More Provo plz.

16 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Such a great hit. Completely neutralized. No chance of a penalty. No trying to injure. Just a good clean get out of my house kind of hit.

More Provo plz.

This was a beautiful play... this is the stuff that a lot of fans don't notice with Prov - the kid is something special in the making.   Sometimes I watch these type of plays and immediately think of Lidstrom.   

7 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

This was a beautiful play... this is the stuff that a lot of fans don't notice with Prov - the kid is something special in the making.   Sometimes I watch these type of plays and immediately think of Lidstrom.   

He takes the body considerably more than Lidstrom though. More like Doughty.

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

@brelic

3 game on a row Hak benches the rookies in the 3rd!!!  This is great for their development!

At least they're winning! :)

I don't think Patrick's current line is playing well enough to warrant more ice time.... but it doesn't seem like Hak wants to change the lines right now.

Swap Patrick and Filppula and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, brelic said:

At least they're winning! :)

I don't think Patrick's current line is playing well enough to warrant more ice time.... but it doesn't seem like Hak wants to change the lines right now.

Swap Patrick and Filppula and see what happens. 

God, I wish I always had rainbows coming out of my ears.... I really do!!  :cheers:

38 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Sometimes I watch these type of plays and immediately think of Lidstrom.   

30 minutes ago, elmatus said:

He takes the body considerably more than Lidstrom though. More like Doughty.

Is it too simple to say he is a combo of both? His positioning is very sound. But he's also as mobile as Doughty.

I didn't know Ivan used an extra long stick with an extension. What an interesting and exciting player!

image.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, icehole said:

Sometimes I think people feel my hatred toward Hextall is somehow tied to a love for Holmgren.  I know Holmgren made many mistakes and I'm well aware of his shortcomings.

The difference is that Holmgren took big risks that usually brought excitement to the team, whereas Hextall has no interest in bringing excitement to the team.  He feels that if he does the safe move every time for a long time, eventually it will work out.

My feeling is and always has been, through all of this pain and 10 game losing streaks and dull boring players, one day Hextall's team will be just good enough to be 5th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 3rd in the division. To miss playoffs twice, lose in the first round twice, make the second round twice and have a conference final and a cup final.

They will land in the same spot but they will get there in a much slower, painful manner.

For the record, I couldn't care less if they never win a cup again.  A championship doesn't mean much I can't relate to the team.  I didn't realize it until this era of flyers hockey.

I just have a question for you, why do you cheer for the Flyers if you don't care if they never win a cup again? Were you around when the Flyers won the back to back championship in the mid seventies? Part of cheering for a team is seeing them win the ultimate prize in their league which is a championship. If you don't care if they win but enjoy being entertained then don't cheer for any team and just enjoy the game! For myself, I was around when the Flyers won those cups and would love to see them win it again. Though I don't agree with some of Hextall's moves, I do like the fact that he is building a farm system that will come in handy when he makes moves when the Flyers become contenders.

23 hours ago, radoran said:

And we're fed the "in a few years" line I've been hearing... "For a few years" now.

I'll see where this all goes, but I'm not living and dying for sports any more.

I'm old. :cheers:

To be fair, the organization has only fed us "a few years" since Hextall took over.  Before that, they'd been feeding us, "This is the year!!!!!" Since 1992 or so regardless of what was actually happening. 

Even when homer traded Carter and Richards, it was still going to be the year. 

Finally Hextall stepped in and said, guys... we got a lot of work to do.  It's going to take years before we're even able to have a blank slate.  

All in all I don't think the rebuild is any more on or off track than it was a year ago when they couldn't lose. 

Neither streak is representative of the overall quality of the team.  It's frustrating as hell and I still think Hextall HAS GOT to do something to help Hakstol with the bench stuff... but I'm content with the team and it's progress.  I don't think it's out of line with what's expected.  

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Even when homer traded Carter and Richards, it was still going to be the year. 

I'll take the blame for that.

I had just bought Richards jersey with the C on it.

I jinx them. It's also why i haven't bought a jersey for any current player since for the Flyers or the Eagles.

I want a Wentz jersey so bad.

But i resist for those reasons!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'll take the blame for that.

I had just bought Richards jersey with the C on it.

I jinx them. It's also why i haven't bought a jersey for any current player since for the Flyers or the Eagles.

I want a Wentz jersey so bad.

But i resist for those reasons!

Dont do it! 

But a Manning or Lehtera jersey... takenone for the team ;)

53 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Dont do it! 

But a Manning or Lehtera jersey... takenone for the team ;)

Oh trust me i am.

I learned the hard way back in the 90's.

When i was living in North Carolina my God bless her soul was wanting to do something special for me.

Yet and keep it a secret so Christmas, i foget which year it was but it was the year Bobby Hoying took over at QB sometime during the season.

And he looked pretty decent, well she did some research on her own and found out from where i don't know that to this day but found out he was the "QB of the future" so she went out and bought me his jersey.

And the jinx was on and he never amounted to anything and the rest is history.

I should have learned then before buying Richards jersey.

2 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I just have a question for you, why do you cheer for the Flyers if you don't care if they never win a cup again? Were you around when the Flyers won the back to back championship in the mid seventies? Part of cheering for a team is seeing them win the ultimate prize in their league which is a championship. If you don't care if they win but enjoy being entertained then don't cheer for any team and just enjoy the game! For myself, I was around when the Flyers won those cups and would love to see them win it again. Though I don't agree with some of Hextall's moves, I do like the fact that he is building a farm system that will come in handy when he makes moves when the Flyers become contenders.

That's a fair question.  I shouldn't say I couldn't care less, I will say that it's not the most important thing for me.

If this team just stocked up on defensive defensemen and somehow had the #1 goalie in the league, and they won 2-1 every night with a combined 40 shots on goal, and they won the cup that way, I'd be happy but I'd also feel a little unfulfilled.

When I was younger, I was almost spiritual about the whole thing.  If the cup was at the local mall, I had to go see it.  I looked up to the players and wanted autographs.  Since I've grown up, I just look at them as something that should be entertaining to me.  If you don't have a team to cheer for, you won't get the most out of the experience.

The flyers have always been my team.  I always want them to get to the next level.  If they have a shot to win a cup, I will be really disappointed if they don't do it.  For the most part I've had playoff hockey to look forward to from the early '80s until 2012 or so.  But those 2 months of hockey in April and May and maybe june don't mean anything if I fall asleep for every game October though april.  That shiny silver cup really doesn't mean anything to me.  I think it's the coolest tropy in sports but it doesn't have my name on it.

3 hours ago, icehole said:

That's a fair question.  I shouldn't say I couldn't care less, I will say that it's not the most important thing for me.

If this team just stocked up on defensive defensemen and somehow had the #1 goalie in the league, and they won 2-1 every night with a combined 40 shots on goal, and they won the cup that way, I'd be happy but I'd also feel a little unfulfilled.

When I was younger, I was almost spiritual about the whole thing.  If the cup was at the local mall, I had to go see it.  I looked up to the players and wanted autographs.  Since I've grown up, I just look at them as something that should be entertaining to me.  If you don't have a team to cheer for, you won't get the most out of the experience.

The flyers have always been my team.  I always want them to get to the next level.  If they have a shot to win a cup, I will be really disappointed if they don't do it.  For the most part I've had playoff hockey to look forward to from the early '80s until 2012 or so.  But those 2 months of hockey in April and May and maybe june don't mean anything if I fall asleep for every game October though april.  That shiny silver cup really doesn't mean anything to me.  I think it's the coolest tropy in sports but it doesn't have my name on it.

Fair enough, I guess I look at cheering for the Flyers different from you. Since I'm old enough to remember the two cup years and how fun it was to watch being that Bernie Parent was my idol growing up. I don't mind the rebuild or retool as some will call it, as fun as the 2010 run was, it's refreshing to see them build through the draft instead of Holmgren's way. Hell I'm still pissed that the Flyers ended up with JVR instead of Patrick Kane in the 2007 draft after having the worst season in Flyers history. As for the cup it is the coolest trophy in professional sports and probably the hardest to win, that's what makes so great when the team you cheer for ends up winning it. So maybe don't cheer for the Flyers and you'll be able to watch playoff hockey all the time since you won't have one particular team to cheer for who may not make the playoffs for the next couple of years.

4 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Fair enough, I guess I look at cheering for the Flyers different from you. Since I'm old enough to remember the two cup years and how fun it was to watch being that Bernie Parent was my idol growing up. I don't mind the rebuild or retool as some will call it, as fun as the 2010 run was, it's refreshing to see them build through the draft instead of Holmgren's way. Hell I'm still pissed that the Flyers ended up with JVR instead of Patrick Kane in the 2007 draft after having the worst season in Flyers history. As for the cup it is the coolest trophy in professional sports and probably the hardest to win, that's what makes so great when the team you cheer for ends up winning it. So maybe don't cheer for the Flyers and you'll be able to watch playoff hockey all the time since you won't have one particular team to cheer for who may not make the playoffs for the next couple of years.

As bad as 2007 was, I don't remember it being this painful to watch some nights.  I remember thinking every game that that was the night they would turn it around and start winning.  I may have watched every game that season.  I think I remember one game where they put up 6 on Detroit.  I believe fedoruk received a pass just as he was coming out of the box to go score on a break away.  I may be misremembering that...Ill have to check.  Why can't I remember anything exciting from the past 2 years though?

I will watch playoff hockey no matter what, but it's more fun to have a team to cheer for.  This is the first time in my hockey watching life (about 1996 to present) that I had to put up with something like this.  The flyers have had bad teams in that period of time, but they would always come right back in the off season with a trade or a free agent signing and they'd be exciting to watch again.  I might be down on certain players but the team would bounce back the next season, so I never hated the team.  There's certain players on this team that I just loath because of this streak of lifeless hockey for the past few years.  So even if there are those nights where raffl scores a goal or two or weise had a laser shot, and they get a good win, I'm not happy.  I'm at the point where I'd rather see them lose so that maybe something will change.

44 minutes ago, icehole said:

As bad as 2007 was, I don't remember it being this painful to watch some nights.  I remember thinking every game that that was the night they would turn it around and start winning.  I may have watched every game that season.  I think I remember one game where they put up 6 on Detroit.  I believe fedoruk received a pass just as he was coming out of the box to go score on a break away.  I may be misremembering that...Ill have to check.  Why can't I remember anything exciting from the past 2 years though?

I will watch playoff hockey no matter what, but it's more fun to have a team to cheer for.  This is the first time in my hockey watching life (about 1996 to present) that I had to put up with something like this.  The flyers have had bad teams in that period of time, but they would always come right back in the off season with a trade or a free agent signing and they'd be exciting to watch again.  I might be down on certain players but the team would bounce back the next season, so I never hated the team.  There's certain players on this team that I just loath because of this streak of lifeless hockey for the past few years.  So even if there are those nights where raffl scores a goal or two or weise had a laser shot, and they get a good win, I'm not happy.  I'm at the point where I'd rather see them lose so that maybe something will change.

I think you just to take a break from the Flyers the rest of the year.

Maybe come back playoff time and see if they made it but maybe still don't watch.

Say come back in October 2018 and give it a try then.

Reason i say this is you keeping saying like you don't care and it's no big deal but then you read the rest of your post and it actually is the complete opposite.

You are obsessed, the only thing is that they are going through growing pains and feeling this thing out.

And it isn't always in a straight line.

And it's not pretty some times.

So i think you need to take a break bro.

Just saying.

Archived