Bottom of the barrel...

OccamsRazor

null

I think it is safe to say they are there.

Crazy part is they are there and the team is healthy.

No major injuries to key players.

So i have to wonder aloud how in God's name do they get out of this.

The is no one coming to rescue them.

Time for the players and coaching staff to earn their.

Well we knew they needed some adversity to dig out of...here they are.

They did make the playoffs in 2008 with a 10 game losing streak during the season can they do this again??

I think they have the talent to do it. They just have a lot of young players to do it with.

Yet they have a nice mix of vets too.

My biggest issue is i don't think they are strong enough in net to do it.

However if i have my choice i ride Neuvy till he breaks.

Elliot has shown me time and time again he can't make the momentum save to give this team the confidence they need to think...

"Hey it's ok if i make a mistake this guy...

giphy.gif

...is going to bail me out. It is why the Flames said buh bye!!!

He can't/hasn't shown he can do it!!!

It's Neuvy time ride him till he falls apart.

image.jpeg

silver lining, two first-round draft picks in what is considered to be a deep draft. 

I don't know if i'm ready for a fire and trade all the things for real.  the last two games the team has been pretty listless by all accounts.  Are these guys tuning Hakstol out? if so who is available ? do the flyers fire all the assistants ?   but promote knoblach ?  

I said when I saw guys taking their sticks for a skate i'd change my tune... sounds like that happened yesterday, and I saw it for real vs San Jose.

Not pretty.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

do the flyers fire all the assistants ? 

Of all your questions (most i would be guessing at if i answered) this one i think is the one i have an answer for.

Bill alluded to in his article the other day.

If the PK continues to struggle i think Lappy will take the fall.

When only Ron knows how much rope he will allow them.

Right now it sits 28th out of 31 teams.

Only teams worse than them?? Oilers, Panthers and Flames.

And it's the easiest to replace just one guy than several.

He is a crazy stat. All this yet they lead the NHL with the best faceoff win % at 53%.

So i was shocked by that.

Just looking at some of the stats from this team.

It looks like this team loses most of it's game coming out the gate in the 1st period.

goals for in the 1st they are 27th.

goals against in the 1st 13th.

goals for in the 2nd they are 5th

goals against in the 2nd they are 11th

goals for in the 3rd they are 28th.

goals against in the 3rd 22nd.

So their strong suit if you can even call it that is the 2nd. They come out flat....and then gripe their sticks to tight in the end.

Recipe for disaster!!!

Especially when Elliot can't close the damn door!

Lead the NHL in goals against in OT with 5!!!!!!

Just wow!

Also very interesting while i'm on the stat conversation.

A eye opening one.

Flyers have 8 wins. In those 8 wins the Flyers have scored 1st in 7 of those.

So it is huge for whatever reason (no confidence?) that they get on the board first.

If not it ends up being an L!!!! 

I've been a Hexi fan for a long long time but if he fails to flush this coach, my opinion of him is going to change big time.   This coach lost the room a long time ago and it shows big time... maybe the reason he's a statue on the bench is that he knows what ever he does is going to be ignored anyway... it's beyond hard to watch.

This may be bad enough to force Mr. Snider out of his grave:)

Who better to return us to the top of the heap, (OK, I'll accept the middle of the heap at this point) than Iron Mike Keenan. Break these players, young or not, OR they make something of themselves, (with proper coaching, of course) in the NHL.

I get the hate/panic whatever.

He signed a green college coach to a rebuild.

And signed him to a 5 year deal.

He knew it was a rebuild.

He isn't going to can him 2 and a half years into.

Especially when he didn't even get to hire his staff.

So i think Mullen was fired/not resigned this past off season.

I think Lappy could be next if not he and Murphy.

I think if a move is made that will be it next.

When i guess we could see them ride out the rest of this year and then something done in January........or as early as when they are done with this road trip.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If the PK continues to struggle i think Lappy will take the fall.

I really hope so. I think Knoblauch was brought in for a reason. Give him some added role and a chance to prove himself. If the issue isn't Hakstol, then maybe it's the assistants. Give him some new blood to work with and see if that changes things.

56 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I really hope so. I think Knoblauch was brought in for a reason. Give him some added role and a chance to prove himself. If the issue isn't Hakstol, then maybe it's the assistants. Give him some new blood to work with and see if that changes things.

:whiteflag:

26 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

meh

another 2-3 seasons of getting top prospects in the draft is what we need.

Just look at the past Cup winners, that's what they went through 

Sadly, you're not wrong.

I have found this streak a bit disorienting. I recall a few years back when we received kudos for have six 20 goal scorers.  Our PP was on the top five.  Historically, we were good to great on the PK of necessity.--we were one of the most penalized teams.

For the past few years our scoring has been top-heavy.  The PP, despite some good additions like Ghost, has been weak. The PK--yesterday was an exception. 

It leaves me wondering about the DNA.  Is Pryor good? Or is he being led astray by those above him?  I hope our young D-men are as good as we hope they will be. Our forwards--Coots is panning out.  Giroux--a success.  I am struggling to think about others. Goal...numb.

Meawnhile, our OT and shootout have been subpar from the get-go.  So....Berube, Stevens, I wonder if it would matter if we got Bowman or Babcock.  Can this franchise draft and develop the best young talent?  

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Or is he being led astray by those above him?  I hope our young D-men are as good as we hope they will be. Our forwards--Coots is panning out.  Giroux--a success.  I am struggling to think about others. Goal...numb.

I think the scouting is fine.  

Drew Doughty's don't grow on trees but Duncan Keith's can be developed. 

There are about 4 or 5 guys in the system and on the NHL team currently, who could reach that Keith type player ceiling. 

Only Provorov has been "ready" from the jump and that's okay.  Typically defensive players don't reach a level of awesome until 25-27...the Flyers are icing 22, 20, 24, 23 year old players at that position. 

There was no attention paid to the goalie position through the draft because there were limited draft picks available until Hextall began his rebuild of the organization's bench strength. There are several decent goalie prospects in the system, but they're goalies and how often does a team hit a home run with a goalie pick?

I don't think scouting is the problem, I think coaching the players might be. I also think there is some degree of patience required when the roster is this young, and this fan base sorely lacks that particular quality.

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings friend,

Yeah, not looking good. It's not the losing as much as the way they are losing, the way they are playing, and the way young players are being used, stagnating, regressing etc. 

Not saying the coaching staff is free and clear of any blame.

Buy at the end of the day the players must take a long look in the mirror and dig deep and find a way to just get one win.

Nothing more. One win.

Start there. Take one game at a time.

Just go out and play hard smart hockey for 60 minutes and they will come out on top.

One game at a time.

They have the skill to do it.

#nowgodoit

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the scouting is fine.  

Drew Doughty's don't grow on trees but Duncan Keith's can be developed. 

There are about 4 or 5 guys in the system and on the NHL team currently, who could reach that Keith type player ceiling. 

Only Provorov has been "ready" from the jump and that's okay.  Typically defensive players don't reach a level of awesome until 25-27...the Flyers are icing 22, 20, 24, 23 year old players at that position. 

There was no attention paid to the goalie position through the draft because there were limited draft picks available until Hextall began his rebuild of the organization's bench strength. There are several decent goalie prospects in the system, but they're goalies and how often does a team hit a home run with a goalie pick?

I don't think scouting is the problem, I think coaching the players might be. I also think there is some degree of patience required when the roster is this young, and this fan base sorely lacks that particular quality.

I think scouting *was* a problem, and you can just see the progression over time.

Laviolette years

2009-10

JVR, 75 GP

Bartulis, 53 GP

Pyorala, 36 GP

2010-11

Bobrovsky, 54 GP (F*** you, Holmgren)

2011-12

Couturier, 77 GP

B Schenn, 54 GP

Wellwood, 24 GP

Rinaldo, 66 GP

M-A Bourdon, 45 GP

Zolnierczyk, 37 GP

Gustafsson, 30 GP

2012-13

McGinn, 18 GP

Lauridsen, 15 GP

Berube years

2013-14

Raffl, 68 GP

2014-15

Bellemare, 81 GP

Laughton, 31 GP

Manning, 11 GP

Akeson, 13 GP

Cousins, 11 GP

Hakstol years

2015-16

Gostisbehere, 64 GP

Medvedev, 45 GP (NHL rookie but 33 years old)

2016-17

Provorov, 82 GP

Konecny, 70 GP

Weal, 23 GP

Lyubimov, 47 GP

Leier, 10 GP

2017-18 (so far)

Patrick

Sanheim

Hagg

Martel

Could add Morin, Leier, and Weal under the NHL definition of rookie (isn't it 35 GP or something like that?)

The difference I see is that the earlier years, the rookies were stopgaps and hole plugs. 

Now, they are the building blocks. They won't all turn out, but heck, they've got much higher ceilings than those stiffs we used to draft before. 

Laviolette started strong and then tanked in his final full season, Berube started strong and then remembered he was Berube, and Hakstol started strong, struggling right now.

I'm just not necessarily convinced coaching is the issue. Like you say, our building blocks are just now in place - they need YEARS of experience. People expect a turnaround in weeks and months, and that's just not realistic. 

Well while down at the bottom of the barrel........Hak decides to break up the top line...as i said somewhere it's all they haven't tried...

Claude Giroux  Sean Couturier  Wayne Simmonds

Michael Raffl – Valtteri Filppula – Jake Voracek

Dale Weise/Jordan Weal – Nolan Patrick  Travis Konecny

Taylor Leier – Scott Laughton – Dale Weise/Jordan Weal

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well while down at the bottom of the barrel........Hak decides to break up the top line...as i said somewhere it's all they haven't tried...

Claude Giroux  Sean Couturier  Wayne Simmonds

Michael Raffl – Valtteri Filppula – Jake Voracek

Dale Weise/Jordan Weal – Nolan Patrick  Travis Konecny

Taylor Leier – Scott Laughton – Dale Weise/Jordan Weal

Cool.  Let's blow up the one thing that's seemingly working.  I mean, I guess so, but man...that second line is ugly to me.   The third and fourth line are both "meh."

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Cool.  Let's blow up the one thing that's seemingly working.  I mean, I guess so, but man...that second line is ugly to me.   The third and fourth line are both "meh."

Well to start i don't like any line with Weise on it.

Let's start there he needs to brush up on his popcorn cooking procedures anyways...:hehe:

Archived